The University of Oxford has three statutory professorships named after William of Wykeham. The University of Oxford (informally "Oxford University" or simply "Oxford" located in the city of Oxford, Oxfordshire, England is the William of Wykeham (1320 &ndash 27 September 1404) was Bishop of Winchester, Chancellor of England, founder of Winchester
The Wykeham Professorship in Logic was initially established as a readership in 1839, and was converted to a professorship in 1859. Year 1839 ( MDCCCXXXIX) was a Common year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian Calendar (or a Common Year 1859 ( MDCCCLIX) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common It is one of five statutory professorships in philosophy of the University of Oxford, the other four being the Waynflete Professorship of Metaphysical Philosophy, the White’s Professorship of Moral Philosophy, the Wilde Professorship in Mental Philosophy, as well as the untitled professorship in Ancient Philosophy. The University of Oxford (informally "Oxford University" or simply "Oxford" located in the city of Oxford, Oxfordshire, England is the Endowed in 1621 by Thomas White (c 1550-1624 DD Canon of Christ Church, the White's Chair of Moral Philosophy at the University of Oxford is perhaps
List of holders of post
- Richard Mitchell, 1839-1849.
- Henry Wall, 1849-?1870
- Thomas Fowler (philosopher) ?1870-1889
- John Cook Wilson, 1889-1915
- Harold Henry Joachim, 1919-1935. John Cook Wilson (born Nottingham 6 June 1849, died 1915 was an English Philosopher. This page is not about the American art critic of the same name Harold Henry Joachim ( May 28, 1868 - July 30, 1938
- Henry Habberley Price, 1935-1959. Henry Habberley Price ( May 17, 1899 – November 26, 1984) was a British philosopher known for his work on Perception.
- Alfred Ayer, 1959-1978. Sir Alfred Jules ("Freddie" Ayer ( October 29, 1910 &ndash June 27, 1989) better known as A
- Michael Dummett, 1979-1992. Sir Michael Anthony Eardley Dummett FBA DLitt (born 1925 is a leading British Philosopher.
- David Wiggins, 1993-2000. David Wiggins (born 8 March 1933) is a British moral Philosopher, metaphysician, and philosophical Logician
- Timothy Williamson, 2000-present. Timothy Williamson (born Uppsala, Sweden, 6 August 1955) is a distinguished British Philosopher whose main research interests are
The Wykeham Professorship of Ancient History was established in 1910. Possible duplication with the far older Camden Professorship of Ancient History was avoided, as the Camden Professorship focussed primarily on Roman history, by concentrating the Wykeham chair on Greek history. The Camden Professorship of Ancient History was established in 1622 by William Camden, Clarencieux King of Arms, and endowed with the income of the manor of Bexley Ancient Rome was a Civilization that grew out of a small agricultural community founded on the Italian Peninsula as early as the 10th century BC The term ancient Greece refers to the period of Greek history lasting from the Greek Dark Ages ca
List of holders of post
- J. L. Myres, 1910-1939
- Theodore Wade-Gery, 1939-1953
- Antony Andrewes, 1953-1977
- W. G. (George) Forrest, 1977-1992
- Robert C. Sir John Linton Myres ( July 3, 1869 in Preston &ndash March 6, 1954 in Oxford) was a British archaeologist Henry Theodore Wade-Gery, generally known as Theodore (born 2 April 1888, Campton Grange near Shefford, Bedfordshire; died 2 Antony Andrewes (1910 – 1990 was a classical scholar and historian William George Grieve Forrest, MA known as George Forrest (24 September 1925 &ndash 14 October 1997 was Wykeham Professor of Ancient History in the University T. Parker, 1996-
List of holders of post John Sealy Edward Townsend (7 June 1868 - 16 February 1957 was a Mathematical Physicist who conducted various studies concerning the Electrical conduction Willis Eugene Lamb Jr ( July 12, 1913 &ndash May 15, 2008) was a Physicist who won the Nobel Prize in Physics in Sir Rudolf Ernst Peierls, ( June 5 1907, Berlin &ndash September 19 1995, Oxford) was a German -born British
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |