|Vocal fold nodule|
Classification and external resources
|Histopathologic image of vocal fold nodule or polyp. Biopsy specimen. H & E stain. |
A vocal fold nodule (or "Nodules of vocal cords") is a nodule or mass of tissue that grows on the vocal folds (vocal cords). The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (most commonly known by the abbreviation ICD) provides codes to classify Diseases The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision ( ICD -10) is a coding of diseases and signs symptoms abnormal findings J00-J99 - Diseases of the respiratory system (J00-J06 Acute upper respiratory infections ( Acute Nasopharyngitis ( Common cold) The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (most commonly known by the abbreviation ICD) provides codes to classify Diseases The following is a list of codes for International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems. The Diseases Database is a free Website that provides information about the relationships between medical conditions Symptoms, and Medications. The vocal folds, also known commonly as vocal cords, are composed of twin infoldings of Mucous membrane stretched horizontally across the Larynx. Typically this mass will appear on the anterior one-third of the vocal fold, where contact is most forceful.
A vocal fold nodule reduces or obstructs the ability of the vocal folds to create the rapid changes in air pressure which generate human speech. Speech refers to the processes associated with the production and perception of Sounds used in Spoken language. Symptoms include hoarseness of speech, painful speech production, frequent vocal breaks and reduced vocal range. Females are most likely to develop nodules.
The nodules appear as symmetric swellings on both sides of the vocal folds. The cause of these formations are usually strenuous or abusive voice practices such as yelling and coughing. Persons who are often susceptible are those who use their voice constantly in a loud environment. Vocal loading is the stress inflicted on the Speech organs when speaking for long periods Examples include teachers, cheerleaders, politicians, actors, musicians, singers and in some instances Marine Corps drill instructors.
Picture showing vocal nodule
(to lower right)
Vocal fold nodules, although they can certainly impair one's speaking and singing ability, rarely harm one's general health. Indeed, the psychological trauma of being diagnosed with nodules -- a trauma affecting those especially whose professional success depends on consistently producing a rich and powerful vocal tone (e. Psychological trauma is a type of damage to the psyche that occurs as a result of a traumatic event. g. singers, actors, broadcasters) -- typically dwarfs the limited systemic and even otorhinolaryngological effects. Otolaryngology is the branch of Medicine that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of Ear, Nose, Throat, and head and neck disorders
Treatment, or voice rehabilitation, usually involves vocal training, speech therapy, and, occasionally, vocal rest. Speech-language pathology is the study of disorders that affect a person's Speech, Language, cognition voice swallowing ( Dysphagia) and the rehabilitative In rare cases, surgery may be required. Removal of vocal fold nodules is a relatively safe and minor surgery. However, those who sing professionally or otherwise should take serious consideration before having surgery. While the patient is subdued under general anesthesia, long thin scissors and knives are used to remove the nodules. The best preventative steps seem to be wrapped up in the study of vocology, the science and practice of voice habilitation. Vocology, originally coined by voice scientist Ingo R Titze has been defined as the science and practice of voice habilitation.
Symptoms of vocal nodules include vocal fatigue and hoarseness or breathiness. Hoarseness or breathiness that lasts for more than two weeks may signal a voice disorder and should be followed up with an appointment with ENT. Otolaryngology is the branch of Medicine that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of Ear, Nose, Throat, and head and neck disorders
Famous nodule sufferers
- Amanda Palmer of The Dresden Dolls said in January 2008 that she will undergo surgery for nodes in March 2008. Amanda MacKinnon Palmer (born April 30, 1976) is a performer most noted for being the lead singer pianist and lyricist/composer of the "Brechtian punk cabaret" The Dresden Dolls are an American musical duo from Boston Massachusetts. She has also been forced to cancel a mini-tour because of the surgery.
- Davey Havok, lead singer of AFI, suffered from vocal nodes, which forced AFI to cancel several shows on their Spring '04 tour. David AFI (abbreviated from A F ire I nside and formerly A sking F or i t A bunch of F ucking I
- Roughton Reynolds from Enter Shikari developed nodules and as a result missed several shows on their UK tour. Enter Shikari (ɛntɜr ʃɪkɑriː is a British band formed in 2003 in St Albans, Hertfordshire where all four members are from
- Luciano Pavarotti developed vocal fold nodules early in his at-the-time mediocre career, leading him to renounce a life of music. WikipediaWikiProject Opera#Infoboxes. Thank you--> Luciano Pavarotti, Cavaliere di Gran Croce OMRI ( October 12, Ironically, the psychological release associated with this decision and--soon after--disappearance of the nodules lead to an incredible improvement in his sound quality.
- One famous sufferer was Queen pianist and lead singer Freddie Mercury. Queen were an English rock band formed in 1970 in London by guitarist Freddie Mercury (born Farrokh Bulsara; 5 September 1946 – 24 November 1991 was a Zanzibar -born British Musician, best known as the lead
- Natalie Imbruglia developed nodules during the 90's and had them removed a few years later, this noticeably improved the timbre in her voice.
- A young Lucinda Williams developed and had removed nodules. Lucinda Williams (born January 26, 1953) is an American rock, folk, and Country music singer and songwriter
- Julie Andrews also suffered from vocal cord nodules, and famously lost her singing voice after surgery to remove them. Dame Julie Elizabeth Andrews, DBE (born Julia Elizabeth Wells on October 1 1935) is an award-winning English Actress
- Robert Plant, singer of band Led Zeppelin received treatment for nodules in 1973 and possibly 1974. Robert Anthony Plant (born 20 August 1948 West Bromwich, England) is an English rock singer and songwriter famous for his membership in the Led Zeppelin were This resulted in a drop in range of voice and a harsh timbre on the 1975 album Physical Graffiti. Physical Graffiti is the sixth album by the English Hard rock band Led Zeppelin.
- Bonnie Tyler, in 1977, found out that she had nodules that were so severe that she had to have surgery for their removal. Bonnie Tyler (born June 8 1951 in Skewen, Neath) is a Welsh rock Singer. After the surgery was performed, she was ordered to not speak for six weeks. One day while healing, she accidentally screamed and her voice took on a raspy quality.
- Whitney Houston developed nodules during her famous Bodyguard tour in 1993-1994. Whitney Elizabeth Houston' (born August 9 1963 is an American Singer-songwriter, Actress, Film producer, Arranger and former At the time, she was unable to rest her voice to prevent permanent damage. She has been able to continue a successful singing career since then, but her voice has developed a noticeable, darker and hoarser tone than before.
- Sarah Brightman after her Harem world tour in 2004, she had surgery to remove vocal nodules. Sarah Brightman (born 14 August 1960 is an English classical crossover Soprano, actress songwriter and dancer
- Bette Midler had developed nodules in 2006-2007. Bette Midler (born December 1, 1945) is anAmerican Singer, Actress and Comedian, also known (as her informal stage name as
- Natalie Dessay, a famous operatic lyric-coloratura, in 2001 underwent surgery to remove nodules and polyps on two of her vocal cords, following vocal difficulties after recovering from a cold. Natalie Dessay (born Nathalie Dessaix, 19 April 1965, in Lyon) is a French Soprano. Although the quality of her voice now is debatable by some opera critics and fans, Natalie Dessay has made a complete recovery and continues to perform in opera.
- 2003 Australian Idol contestant, Cosima De Vito pulled out from the competition after developing throat nodules.
- Justin Timberlake had surgery to remove vocal nodules in 2005. Justin Randall Timberlake (born January 31 1981 He has English ancestry although he has also claimed some American Indian ancestry probably through unconfirmed
- Omarion, formerly of boy-band B2K also had surgery to remove nodules in 2005, and as a result, had to cancel a number of live shows in London. Omari Ishmael Grandberry (born November 12, 1984, in Inglewood California) better known as Omarion, is an American Grammy -nominated London ( ˈlʌndən is the capital and largest urban area in the United Kingdom.
- In March 2005, Blue singer Lee Ryan developed a nodule, and as a consequence had to cancel the boy band's farewell tour. Blue is a Colour, the Perception of which is evoked by Lee Ryan (born 17 June 1983 in Chatham Kent) is a singer-songwriter actor and former member of the British Boy band Blue and is now pursuing
- Goo Goo Dolls' lead singer Johnny Rzeznik, Everclear lead singer Art Alexakis, and Tony Rice, bluegrass guitarist and singer, all have suffered from the condition. The Goo Goo Dolls are a Rock band formed in 1986 in Buffalo New York by John Rzeznik and Robby Takac. John Rzeznik (born John Joseph Theodore Rzeznik on December 5, 1965 in Buffalo New York and also known as Johnny Rzeznik) is an Everclear is a rock band formed in Portland, Oregon, USA, in 1992 Arthur Paul Alexakis (born on April 12, 1962) is the Singer, Lead guitarist and Songwriter of the rock band Everclear This article is for the guitarist For the former football player see Tony Rice (football player. Bluegrass music is a form of American roots music, and is a sub-genre of Country music.
- Steve Augeri of the band Journey was forced to leave the band when his nodules got so severe in the 2006 tour, that a replacement was drafted in to continue the tour. Steve Augeri (born January 30, 1959 in Brooklyn, New York) is an American rock Singer best known for
- In October 2006 Jet guitarist and singer Nic Cester was diagnosed with the disease. Jet is a rock band from Melbourne, Australia, whose debut album Get Born, released in 2003 has so far sold over one million copies Nicholas John Cester (born July 6, 1979) is an Australian singer guitarist and songwriter
- Bert McCracken, vocalist of The Used, developed a nodule in his vocal cord, and underwent surgery during the summer of 2007. Robert Edward McCracken (born February 25, 1982) professionally known as Bert McCracken, is the Lead singer of the American The Used is a rock band from Orem Utah, USA. Their sound has been classified under many genres and subgenres of rock The nodule was successfully removed.
- Sonny Moore, vocalist of From First to Last, also had a nodule in his vocal cord. From First to Last (sometimes shortened to FFTL) is an American Post-hardcore band After surgery for its removal, he tore a vocal cord.
- Joss Stone also had nodules and was told by doctors that she had to rest her voice otherwise permanent damage could be caused. Joss Stone (born Jocelyn Eve Stoker on 11 April 1987 is an English soul and R&B Singer-songwriter and actress.
- Oasis lead singer Liam Gallagher is rumoured to suffer from nodules, based upon some of his live performances in recent years. Oasis are an English rock band that formed in Manchester in 1991 William John Paul "Liam" Gallagher (born September 21, 1972 in Burnage, Manchester) is the lead singer of the British rock band
- Angela Gossow, the lead vocalist of Arch Enemy, also suffered from a vocal fold nodule. Angela Nathalie Gossow (born 5 November 1974 in Cologne, Germany) is a Death metal Vocalist from Cologne Arch Enemy is a Swedish Melodic death metal band formed in 1996 by Carcass guitarist Michael Amott along with Johan Liiva,
- Tom Keifer, lead singer of the rock band Cinderella, developed nodules as a result of his singing voice, a raspy, affected snarl. Carl Thomas Keifer was born in Springfield Pennsylvania, on January 26, 1961. Cinderella is an American rock band from Philadelphia Pennsylvania. He underwent repeated surgeries for the disorder.
- Tedd Webb, a Tampa Bay area radio personality, had his nodule condition diagnosed by a doctor who heard Webb's raspy voice over the air. The doctor phoned him at the station and soon after performed surgery to cure the condition.
- Billy Lunn (Morgan) lead singer of the Subways
- Brian Joo of Korean boyband Fly to the sky suffered from vocal fold nodule due to a hectic promotion schedule and an over-exertion of his vocal cords. Brian Gintaek Joo ( 브라이언 진택 주 (born January 10 1981 better known as simply Brian, is an American singer active in South Korea
- Canadian rock artist Matthew Good was diagnoased with a nodule in the late days of the Matthew Good Band. Matthew Frederick Robert Good (born June 29, 1971, Burnaby British Columbia) is a Canadian Rock musician He was the lead Singer Matthew Frederick Robert Good (born June 29, 1971, Burnaby British Columbia) is a Canadian Rock musician He was the lead Singer
- Singer Lisa Origliasso of the Australian duo The Veronicas suffered from nodules in her throat while touring with Ashlee Simpson in June 2006. Venus Hum is an electronic Pop music group from Nashville Tennessee, consisting of vocalist The Veronicas are a pop-rock band based in Australia. The band was formed in 2005 in Brisbane Australia, by twin sisters Jessica and Lisa Origliasso The Veronicas are a pop-rock band based in Australia. The band was formed in 2005 in Brisbane Australia, by twin sisters Jessica and Lisa Origliasso She had to cancel the rest of her tour gigs, while she went for an operation and recuperated.
- Emily Deschanel was forced to give up singing after performing in a musical due to the formation of nodules on her vocal cords. Emily Erin Deschanel (born October 11, 1976) is an American actress, perhaps best known for her starring role on the Television
- Mariah Carey, credited with a 5-octave vocal range and famed for her extensive use of the whistle register (the highest human vocal register) in a recent magazine interview, divulged she has had vocal nodules since she was a little girl. In Music, an octave ( is the the use of which is "common in most musical systems The whistle register (also called the flageolet register or whistle tone) is the highest register of the Human voice lying above the Modal
- Bill Kaulitz, lead singer of Tokio Hotel, underwent surgery to remove a developed cyst in April 2008. Tokio Hotel hoˈtɛl}} is a German band founded in Magdeburg, Germany in 2001 by singer Bill Kaulitz, guitarist Tom Kaulitz drummer Gustav Schäfer and Tokio Hotel hoˈtɛl}} is a German band founded in Magdeburg, Germany in 2001 by singer Bill Kaulitz, guitarist Tom Kaulitz drummer Gustav Schäfer and Bill had to remain silent for ten days after his surgery, a feat for the chatty singer. As a result, the band had to cancel numerous shows of their European 1000 Hotels '08 tour.
- Idina Menzel developed vocal nodules after performing in Wicked for over a year. Idina Kim Menzel (born May 30 1971 is an American Tony Award winning Actress, Singer and Songwriter who achieved fame for her Wicked is a musical with songs and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz and a book by Winnie Holzman. While performing in London, it can be noticed that her voice has a harsher, huskier tone. London ( ˈlʌndən is the capital and largest urban area in the United Kingdom.
External links Vocology, originally coined by voice scientist Ingo R Titze has been defined as the science and practice of voice habilitation. Otolaryngology is the branch of Medicine that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of Ear, Nose, Throat, and head and neck disorders
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |