Trans is a Latin noun or prefix, meaning "across", "beyond" or "on the opposite side [of]" . Latin ( lingua Latīna, laˈtiːna is an Italic language, historically spoken in Latium and Ancient Rome. It is the opposite of cis, which means "on the same side [of]". In Lexical semantics, opposites are words that lie in an inherently incompatible binary relationship as in the opposite pairs male: female, long: short
- In chemistry, a double bond (or ring) not subject to free rotation in which the greater radical on both ends is on the opposite side of the bond (or face of the ring) is called trans. Chemistry (from Egyptian kēme (chem meaning "earth") is the Science concerned with the composition structure and properties Cycloalkanes (also called naphthenes, especially if from Petroleum sources are types of Alkanes which have one or more rings of Carbon Atoms Compare with cis.
- In molecular and cellular biology, external factors which act on a molecule (i. Molecular biology is the study of Biology at a molecular level See also List of basic cell biology topics. Cell biology (also called cellular biology or formerly cytology, from the e. , intermolecular interactions) are considered to act in trans. In Physics, Chemistry, and Biology, intermolecular forces are forces that act between stable Molecules or between functional groups of For example, proteins which are transcription factors bind to the DNA in trans to modify the rate of RNA transcription. In the field of Molecular biology, a transcription factor (sometimes called a sequence-specific DNA binding factor is a Protein that binds to specific sequences Internal factors act in cis (i. e. , intramolecular). Intramolecular in Chemistry describes a process or characteristic limited within the structure of a single Molecule; a property or phenomenon limited to the extent For example, a specific promoter sequence which recruits RNA polymerase and thereby increases the rate of RNA transcription acts in cis. In Biology, a promoter is a region of DNA that facilitates the transcription of a particular Gene. RNA polymerase ( RNAP or RNApol) is an Enzyme that produces RNA.
- The prefix is sometimes abbreviated with the letter X as in Xmit and Xfer because of the letter's shape. In Telecommunications transmission is the process of sending propagating and receiving an analogue or digital information signal over a physical point-to-point or
- In geography, placenames beginning with the prefix Trans- convey the meaning "beyond" or "across" something. Geography (from Greek γεωγραφία - geografia) is the study of the Earth and its lands features inhabitants and phenomena Toponymy refers to the scientific study of place-names ( toponyms) their origins meanings use and Typology. An affix is a Morpheme that is attached to a stem to form a word Examples include Transalpine Gaul (from Rome's viewpoint, Gaul on the opposite side of the Alps), Transkei (referring to the Kei River), Transvaal (Vaal River), Transleithania (Leitha), Transmuraland (Mura), Transoxiana (Oxus), Transsiberian (Siberia), Transjordan (former name of Jordan), Transcaucasus (Caucasus mountains) and Transylvania ("beyond the forest"). Gallia Narbonensis ( Narbonese Gaul) was a Roman province located in what is now Languedoc and Provence, in southern France. Gaul (Gallia was the Roman name for the region of Western Europe comprising present day northern Italy, France, Belgium, western The Transkei —which means "the area beyond the Kei River"—is a region situated in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. The Great Kei River is a river in South Africa in the Eastern Cape province For the Russian theme park see Transvaal Park. The Transvaal (Afrikaans lit This is for the river for the extraterrestrial robot deity see The Apple (Star Trek The Vaal River is the largest tributary of the Orange Transleithania (Transleithanien was an unofficial term for the Hungarian part of Austria-Hungary, the Dual monarchy created in 1867 and dissolved in 1918 The Leitha ( German: Leitha; Hungarian: Lajta; Czech and Slovak: Litava) is a river in Central Europe Prekmurje (Muravidék is the easternmost region of Slovenia. It borders Hungary to the north-east Austria to the north-west Croatia to the Mura (Mur prekmurian Müra) is a River in Central Europe, a Tributary of the Drava and subsequently the Danube Transoxiana (sometimes spelled Transoxania "河中“Chinese / Ma Wara'un-Nahr ( Arabic: ما وراء النهر / Farārood (فرارود The Amu Darya (formerly Oxus River the Greeks (Ptolemeus called it Oxiana palus) is the longest river in Central Asia. Siberia (Сиби́рь Sibir) is the name given to the vast region constituting almost all of Northern Asia and for the most part currently serving The Emirate of Transjordan ( Arabic: ar إمارة شرق الأردن) was a former Ottoman territory incorporated into the British Mandate of Palestine Jordan, officially the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan (الأردنّ al-Urdunn) is an Arab country in Southwest Asia spanning the southern The South Caucasus is a mountainous geopolitical area of south-central Eurasia, also referred to as Transcaucasia, or The Transcaucasus. This article is about the terrestrial Eurasian mountain range Transylvania (Ardeal or ro ''Transilvania'' Erdély, see also other denominations) is a Central European region located in the eastern half of the Carpathian The antonym is Cis-. In Lexical semantics, opposites are words that lie in an inherently incompatible binary relationship as in the opposite pairs male: female, long: short
- In astronomy translunar means: in outer space outside the Moon's orbit. Astronomy (from the Greek words astron (ἄστρον "star" and nomos (νόμος "law" is the scientific study Outer space, often simply called space, comprises the relatively empty regions of the Universe outside the escape velocities of Celestial bodies. Cislunar is its antonym. Outer space, often simply called space, comprises the relatively empty regions of the Universe outside the escape velocities of Celestial bodies. In Lexical semantics, opposites are words that lie in an inherently incompatible binary relationship as in the opposite pairs male: female, long: short Similarly, a Trans-Neptunian object is a celestial object orbiting the Sun outside the orbit of Neptune, and Cis-Neptunian objects are at or before Neptune's orbit. A trans-Neptunian object (TNO is any object in the Solar system that Orbits the sun at a greater distance on average than Neptune. The Sun (Sol is the Star at the center of the Solar System. Neptune ( English|AmE] ] is the eighth and farthest Planet from the Sun in the Solar System.
- In the context of sex and gender, Trans is an umbrella term used to include all people who at least partially reject the gender they were assigned to at birth. An organism's sex is defined by the gametes it produces males produce male gametes (spermatozoa or Sperm) while females produce female gametes (ova or Egg cells; individual Gender comprises a range of differences between men and women extending from the biological to the social It is derived from the terms transsexual, transgender and transition but also encompasses some groups such as genderqueer and other gender variant people who do not use labels with the "trans" prefix. Transsexualism is a condition in which a person identifies with a physical Sex different from the one with which they were born Transgender (trænzˈdʒɛndɚ from ( Latin) derivatives Genderqueer and intergender are catchall terms for gender identities other than man and woman Gender variance is a term that refers to those expressions of Gender ( Masculinity and Femininity) that do not conform to the dominant Gender norms The term transgender is often used with the same meaning, but it is not always preferred by those who identify as trans.
- The term transsexual (alternatively spelt transexual) is a portmanteau of the latin "trans" (across) and the English "sexuality" which refers to people whose gender identity is incongruent with their physical or assigned sex, and who desires or has had medical treatment to alter their bodies to better reflect their gender identity. Gender identity (or core gender identity) is a person's own sense of Identification as Male or Female. An organism's sex is defined by the gametes it produces males produce male gametes (spermatozoa or Sperm) while females produce female gametes (ova or Egg cells; individual Sex assignment refers to the assigning of Sex at the birth of a Baby. It is an antonym of cisgender. Cisgender (ˈsɪsdʒɛndə˞ is an adjective used in the context of Gender issues and Counselling to refer to a type of Gender identity formed by a match
- A trans man is a man who identifies as both trans and male (irrespective of physical characteristics and assigned sex). A transman or transguy (often referred to as FTM) is short for Transsexual or Transgender man - a person who was naturally born or physically Male (♂ refers to the sex of an organism or part of an organism which produces small mobile Gametes called spermatozoa. A trans woman is a person who identifies as both trans and female (also irrespective of physical characteristics and assigned sex). A transwoman (also spelled trans woman or trans-woman) is a male-to-female transsexual and the term transwoman is preferred by many such Female (♀ is the Sex of an Organism, or a part of an organism which produces ova (egg cells Both terms are antonyms of cisgender. Cisgender (ˈsɪsdʒɛndə˞ is an adjective used in the context of Gender issues and Counselling to refer to a type of Gender identity formed by a match
Trans is also:
- Trans, Switzerland, a municipality in the Grisons
- Trans, a commune in the Mayenne département, in France;
- Trans-en-Provence, a commune in the Var département, in France;
- Trans-la-Forêt, a commune in the Ille-et-Vilaine département, in France;
- a shortname for Trans World Airlines (TWA) airline company
- Trans (album) 1982 album by Neil Young. Trans is a municipality in the district of Hinterrhein in the Swiss canton of Graubünden. Trans is a Village and commune in the Mayenne département of north-western France. The commune is the lowest level of administrative division in the French Republic. Mayenne (majɛn is a department in northwest France named after the Mayenne River. In the context of the political and geographic organization of France and many of its former colonies a department (département depaʁtǝmɑ̃ is an Administrative division This article is about the country For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic France topics. Trans-en-Provence is a French commune, located in the Arrondissement of Draguignan, in the Var department. The Var is a French department in Provence in southeast France In the context of the political and geographic organization of France and many of its former colonies a department (département depaʁtǝmɑ̃ is an Administrative division This article is about the country For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic France topics. Trans-la-Forêt (Treant-Felger is a commune in the Ille-et-Vilaine department in Brittany in northwestern France. Trans World Airlines ( TWA) renamed TWA Airlines LLC in 2001 was a major U Trans is an album by Neil Young, released in 1982. Recorded partially and released during his notorious Geffen era in the 1980s Trans Neil Percival Young OM (born November 12, 1945, Toronto Ontario) is a Canadian Singer-songwriter, Musician
References© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |