A towel is a piece of absorbent fabric or paper used for drying or wiping. A textile is a flexible material comprised of a network of natural or artificial Fibres often referred to as thread or Yarn. Paper is thin material mainly used for writing upon printing upon or packaging It draws moisture through direct contact using a blotting or a rubbing motion.
Types of towels
Close-up photo of a bath towel, made of terrycloth
, showing the absorbing fibres, along with a decorative pattern. Terrycloth, terry cloth, terry towelling, terry, or simply towelling is a fabric with loops that can absorb large amounts of
Fibres in a tea towel. Sant Pol de Mar is a Municipality in the ''comarca'' of Maresme in Catalonia, Spain.
- A bath towel is used for drying one's body after bathing or showering. It is typically rectangular, with a typical size around 30"×60" (75×150 cm). A large bath towel is sometimes called a bath sheet. Some smaller bath towels are designed for use as bath mats. A mat is a generic term for a piece of fabric or flat material generally placed on a Floor or other flat surface and serving a range of purposes including
- A beach towel is usually a little bit larger than a bath towel. Although it is often used for drying off after being in the water, its chief purpose is to provide a surface to lie on to relax or just to tan. They are also worn for privacy while changing clothes in a public area, and for wiping sand from the body or objects. Beach towels often have colourful patterns printed or woven into them.
- A change of towels, as supplied by maid service in an American-style hotel, is one bath towel, one hand towel, and one washcloth.
- A foot towel is a small, rectangular towel which, in the absence of a rug, carpet or bathroom mat, is placed on the bathroom floor to stand on after finishing a shower or bath. A foot towel is a small rectangular Towel which in the absence of a rug carpet or bathroom mat is placed onto the bathroom floor to dry the feet on emerging from the shower
- A hand towel is significantly smaller than a bath towel (perhaps 30x60 cm), and is used for drying one's hands after washing them.
- The term kitchen towel can refer to either a dish towel or to a paper towel, the latter usage being primarily British.
- A paper towel is a piece of paper that can be used once as a towel and then be disposed of. A Paper towel is a towel made from Paper. It serves the same general purposes as conventional Towels such as drying hands wiping windows dusting and cleaning A perforated roll of paper towels is normally mounted on a rod a little longer than the width of the roll, or in an alternative type of hanger that has indentations on ears, the indentations fitting into the ends of the paper towel roll. Paper towels can also be found packaged like facial tissues, as individual folded sheets. Facial tissue refers to a class of soft absorbent disposable Paper that is suitable for use on the Face.
- A show towel is a sub species of the common bath or hand towel that has had trim, such as satin, lace or linen stitched onto it, or embroidery done on it, mainly to simply "look nice". They are used to add a decorative touch, usually to a bathroom, most commonly in the USA. They should not be used to actually dry anything, as regular washing ruins the added trim, and the towel buckles as well (because the towel usually shrinks differently than the trim). 
- A sports towel or chamois is a towel used by swimmers and divers, it is a super absorbent towel that wipes water away and when it becomes too wet and can be squeezed to get the water out of the towel so it can be used again.
- A sweat towel is often of similar size to a hand towel, and can be required in gyms in order to wipe down the machines after use.
- A tea towel (British English) or dish towel (American English) is a cloth which is used to dry dishes, cutlery, etc. British English or UK English ( BrE, BE, en-GB) is the broad term used to distinguish the forms of the English language used in the Phonology North American English regional phonology In many ways compared to English English, North American English is conservative in its Phonology. , after they have been washed. In 18th century England, a tea towel was a special linen drying cloth used by the mistress of the house to dry her precious and expensive china tea things. Servants were considered too ham-fisted to be trusted with such a delicate job, although housemaids were charged with hand-hemming the woven linen when their main duties were completed. Mass-produced tea towels were produced during the Industrial Revolution. The Industrial Revolution was a period in the late 18th and early 19th centuries when major changes in agriculture manufacturing and transportation had a profound effect on the Today pictorial tea towels make humourous ironic souvenirs.
- A washcloth, wash cloth, flannel, or face cloth is a small square about the width of a hand towel, and is used by wetting, applying soap to the towel, and then using the towel to apply the soap to skin. This increases abrasion, and can remove dead skin cells from the skin more effectively than just manual application and rubbing of soap.
- A wet towel (oshibori) is used in Japan to wash one's hands before eating. An is a wet hand Towel offered to customers in places such as Restaurants or bars in Japan It is often given to customers of an izakaya. An is a type of Japanese drinking establishment which also serves food to accompany the drinks
Towels are often used for purposes other than drying things. For example
- To sit, lie and stand on, to avoid direct contact with the ground, sand, rock, chair, etc. This may be for hygiene and comfort, and in saunas or other places where nudity is common. Hygiene refers to practices associated with ensuring good health and cleanliness A sauna (ˈsɔːnə or as Finnish) is a small room or house designed as a place to experience dry or wet heat sessions or an establishment with one or more of these and auxiliary Nudity is the state of wearing no Clothing. The term' "nudity" can also occasionally be used to refer to wearing significantly less clothing than expected
- Barbers use steamed towels to prepare the skin for shaving. A barber (from the Latin barba, " Beard " is someone whose occupation is to cut any type of hair give shaves, and trim Shaving is the removal of hair by using Razor or any other kind of bladed implement to slice it down to the level of the skin
- To reserve seats, for example sunloungers, by the side of swimming pools or similar locations (a source of annoyance to some and amusement to others).
- A towel can act as a make-shift garment or blanket. Clothing (also called clothes, accoutrements, accouterments, or habiliments) protects the Human body from extreme Weather A blanket is a type of Bedding, generally speaking a large piece of cloth intended to keep the user warm especially while Sleeping Blankets are distinguished from There is a variety of uses when a towel is applied in this manner. For example, the towel can be used as an extra layer of clothing for cold conditions; or can be worn on its own around the waist (similarly to a kilt or skirt) or just under the shoulders (similarly to a long dress), usually in a warm environment. The kilt is a knee-length garment with pleats at the rear originating in the traditional dress of men and boys in the Scottish Highlands of the 16th century A skirt is a tube- or cone-shaped Garment that hangs from the Waist and covers all or part of the Legs In European culture, skirts are usually A dress (also frock, gown) is a garment consisting of a Skirt with an attached Bodice or with a matching bodice giving the effect of a one-piece
- In Asian countries, towels (smaller in size than hand towels - usually 30 cm square) are used as handkerchiefs. Men and women both carry them. The softness of the Turkish-type towel makes it a favourite for use.
- In some cases, a towel can be used to protect its owner (as well as other people). For example, a damp towel can be used to block the gap between the door and floor to help stop noxious gases or smoke from entering the room. Smoke is the collection of airborne solid and liquid Particulates and Gases ref> ''Smoke Production and Properties'' - SFPE Handbook of Fire Protection Engineering This is especially useful in case of a fire, where, in most cases, people die of smoke inhalation before the fire reaches them. Smoke inhalation is the primary cause of Death in victims of indoor Fires Smoke inhalation injury refers to injury due to inhalation or exposure to hot gaseous
- On cruise ships, towel animals are created for the patrons. A cruise ship or cruise liner is a Passenger ship used for pleasure voyages where the voyage itself and the ship's amenities are part of the experience A towel animal is a depiction of an Animal created by folding small Towels It is conceptually similar to Origami, but uses towels rather than paper
- Towels can also be used like a whip in what is known as towel snapping. See also School bullying, Senior prank A school prank is any of several common Pranks performed by children or young adults
- To hold hot objects, much like an oven glove. An oven glove, or oven mitt, is a insulated Mitten usually worn in the Kitchen to protect the wearer's Hand from hot objects like
- Towels may also be used as a head dress for wet hair.
- Towels can be used as a "sling" for a broken arm.
- Towels are often used for "ice blocking. Ice blocking is a quasi- Sport in which individuals race to the bottom of a hill sitting on large blocks of Ice. "
- In boxing or other combat sports, a figher's cornerman could throw a towel into the ring to concede the fighter's defeat in that match. Boxing (sometimes also known as English boxing or pugilism) is a Combat sport in which two participants generally of similar weight, This is called "throwing in the towel. "
- At sporting events, sometimes towels are handed out to fans to wave around to cheer on their team.
Appearances in popular culture
from South Park
holding a bong
. This page is a list of residents in the television series South Park. South Park is an animated American television comedy series created and written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone for Comedy Central See also Bong (disambiguation A bong, also commonly known as a water pipe, is a smoking device generally used to smoke cannabis, Tobacco
- Towels played an iconic role in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a science fiction comedy series They are described as the most "massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have," an example usage being to ward off the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal. This is a list of races fauna and flora (as well as creatures without category featured in various incarnations of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy The fictitious time/space traveller and Guide Researcher Ford Prefect uses the idiom "a hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is" to mean someone generally alert and aware. Ford Prefect (also called Ix) is a Fictional character in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by the British author Douglas The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a science fiction comedy series Some fans of Douglas Adams have seized on this idea, and towels are now considered a symbol of one's devotion to the Hitchhiker books, radio series, TV series, website, etc. Douglas Noël Adams (11 March 1952 &ndash 11 May 2001 was an English author comic Radio dramatist Radio is the transmission of signals by Modulation of electromagnetic waves with frequencies below those of visible Light. Television ( TV) is a widely used Telecommunication medium for sending ( Broadcasting) and receiving moving Images, either monochromatic h2g2 is a collaborative online encyclopedia project engaged in the construction of in its own words "an unconventional guide to life the universe and everything" Towel Day is held each year in memory of Adams. Towel Day is celebrated every May 25 as a Tribute by fans of the late author Douglas Adams.
- In the cartoon South Park a character named Towelie is a walking, talking towel that was artificially created by aliens in order to spy on Earth. South Park is an animated American television comedy series created and written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone for Comedy Central This page is a list of residents in the television series South Park. Extraterrestrial life is Life originating outside of the Earth. As a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy he frequently reminds people to bring towels, because you'll never know when you'll need a towel. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a science fiction comedy series As a character, he has a marijuana addiction. Cannabis, also known as marijuana or marihuana, or ganja (from Hindi / Sanskrit: गांजा gānjā hemp) is a
- Fans started using Terrible Towels in the 1970s to encourage the Pittsburgh Steelers as they sought (and eventually won) an NFL championship. The Terrible Towel is a gimmick created for the encouragement of the Pittsburgh Steelers, an American football team in the National Football League (NFL This article is about the Decade 1970-1979 For the Year 1970 see 1970. Super Bowl X was an American football game played on January 18, 1976 at the Orange Bowl in Miami Florida to decide the The National Football League ( NFL) is the largest professional American football league.
- In 1982 Roger Neilson, the then head coach of the Vancouver Canucks, waved a white towel on the end of a hockey stick in mock surrender at what he felt was a sequence of unfair penalties during a playoff game against the Chicago Blackhawks. Year 1982 ( MCMLXXXII) was a Common year starting on Friday (link displays the 1982 Gregorian calendar) Roger Paul Neilson, CM (June 16 1934 - June 21 2003 was a National Hockey League coach, and was responsible for many innovations in the game The Vancouver Canucks are a Professional Ice hockey team based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. This became known as Towel Power. Towel Power is a term used by the Vancouver Canucks of National Hockey League (NHL to describe the waving of Towels by their fans The following game thousands of fans brought and waved towels and it has remained a traditional way for fans to show their support during the playoffs. During Playoff games, GM Place hands these towels out bearing the Canucks logo. General Motors Place (nicknamed The Garage and GM Place) sponsored by General Motors Canada, is an indoor arena at 800 Griffiths Way in
The invention of the towel associated, at least apocryphally, with the city of Bursa in Turkey. Bursa (historically also known as Prussa, Greek: Προύσα and later as Brusa) is a city in northwestern Turkey and the seat Turkey (Türkiye known officially as the Republic of Turkey ( is a Eurasian Country that stretches The city is still noted for the production of "Turkish towels. "
- ^ The (American) National Gallery of Art 
Like elaborately decorated pottery and Jacquard coverlets, "show towels" were made primarily for display rather than for use.
See also A dishcloth is used in the Kitchen to clean Dishes and other surfaces Toallagate ("towelgate" was a Scandal that occurred in Mexico in 2001 involving the cost of bathroom Towels ($ 4430 pesos Terrycloth, terry cloth, terry towelling, terry, or simply towelling is a fabric with loops that can absorb large amounts of h2g2 is a collaborative online encyclopedia project engaged in the construction of in its own words "an unconventional guide to life the universe and everything"
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
- A cloth used for wiping, especially one used for drying anything wet, as a person after a bath.
- To hit with a towel.
- To dry by using a towel.
network: | |