The Summit of the Americas is the name for one of a sequence of summits bringing together the countries of the Americas for discussion of a variety of issues. The Americas are the lands of the Western hemisphere or New World, consisting of the Continents of North America and South America These encounters are organized by a number of multilateral bodies led by the Organization of American States. The Organization of American States ( OAS, or as it is known in the three other official languages OEA) is an International organization, headquartered
- Miami Summit of the Americas, in Miami, United States, on December 11, 1994. The Miami Summit of the Americas took place in December 1994 and was the first of a series of summits for leaders from countries of the Americas. The United States of America —commonly referred to as the Events 359 - Honoratus, the first known Prefect of the City of Constantinople, takes office Year 1994 ( MCMXCIV) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display full 1994 Gregorian calendar)
- Summit of the Americas on Sustainable Development, in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia, on December 7 and December 8, 1996. Santa Cruz de La Sierra, commonly known as Santa Cruz, is the capital city of the Santa Cruz department in eastern Bolivia. The Republic of Bolivia (República de Bolivia) named after Simón Bolívar, is a Landlocked country in central South America. Events 43 BC - Marcus Tullius Cicero assassinated 1696 - Connecticut Route 108, one of the oldest highways Events 1609 - Biblioteca Ambrosiana opens its reading room the second public library of Europe. Year 1996 ( MCMXCVI) was a Leap year starting on Monday (link will display full 1996 Gregorian calendar)
- Santiago Summit of the Americas, in Santiago, Chile, on April 18 and April 19, 1998. The Santiago Summit of the Americas was the second meeting of leaders from the 34 countries negotiating for the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA Santiago ( (litteraly in spanish Saint James) is the Capital of Chile, and the center of its largest Conurbation ( Greater Santiago Chile, officially the Republic of Chile ( Spanish:) is a country in South America occupying a long and narrow Coastal strip wedged between the Events 1025 - Bolesław Chrobry is crowned in Gniezno, becoming the first King of Poland. Events 1012 - Martyrdom of Alphege in Greenwich London. 1529 - At the Second Diet of Speyer Year 1998 ( MCMXCVIII) was a Common year starting on Thursday (link will display full 1998 Gregorian calendar)
- Quebec City Summit of the Americas, in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, from April 20 to April 22, 2001. The Summit of the Americas held in Quebec City Quebec, Canada, on the weekend of April 20, 2001, was a round of negotiations regarding Quebec City ( French: Ville de Québec, or simply Québec) (kwɨˈbɛk or /keˈbɛk/ is the Capital of the Canadian province Quebec (kwɨˈbɛk Country to "Dominion of Canada" or "Canadian Federation" or anything else please read the Talk Page Events 1303 - The University of Rome La Sapienza is instituted by Pope Boniface VIII. Events 1500 - Portuguese Navigator Pedro Álvares Cabral becomes the first European to sight Brazil. Year 2001 ( MMI) was a Common year starting on Monday according to the Gregorian calendar.
- Monterrey Special Summit of the Americas, in Monterrey, Mexico, on January 12 and January 13, 2004. The Special Summit of the Americas was held on January 12 and 13 2004 in Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico. This article is about the Mexican city for other uses see Monterrey (disambiguation. The United Mexican States ( or commonly Mexico (ˈmɛksɪkoʊ () is a federal constitutional Republic in North America. Events 475 - Basiliscus becomes Byzantine Emperor, with a coronation ceremony in the Hebdomon palace in Constantinople Events 532 - Nika riots in Constantinople. 888 - Odo Count of Paris becomes King of the Franks "MMIV" redirects here For the Modest Mouse album see " Baron von Bullshit Rides Again "
- Mar del Plata Summit of the Americas, in Mar del Plata, Argentina, from November 4 to November 6, 2005. The seaside resort of Mar del Plata, in the, about 400 km (250 Miles southeast of the capital, was the venue of the Fourth Summit of the Americas Mar del Plata is an Argentine city located on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean in the Buenos Aires Province, south of Buenos Aires. For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Argentina topics. Events 1333 - Flood of the Arno River, causing massive damage in Florence as recorded by the Florentine chronicler Giovanni Villani Events 355 - Roman Emperor Constantius II promotes his cousin Julian to the rank of Caesar, entrusting him with Year 2005 ( MMV) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link displays full calendar of the Gregorian calendar.
Of these, the Summits that garnered most general public and media attention were the Quebec City and Mar del Plata events, both of which provoked very large anti-globalization and anti–Free Trade Area of the Americas protests and attendant police response. " Anti-globalization " is a term that encompasses a number of related ideas The Free Trade Area of the Americas ( FTAA) ( Spanish: Área de Libre Comercio de las Américas (ALCA French: Zone de libre-échange des
The fifth Summit of the Americas is scheduled to be held in Trinidad and Tobago in 2009. The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago (ˈtrɪnɪdæd ən təˈbeɪgoʊ is an archipelagic state in the southern Caribbean, lying northeast of the South American This article is about the year For the film see 2009 Lost Memories.
External links The 2004 South American Summit &ndash the third of its kind after earlier events in Brasília ( September 2000) and Guayaquil ( July 2002
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |