Shravan (or Shravanam, Sravan, or Sravanam) is a Sanskrit word which literally means 'listening'. Sanskrit (sa संस्कृता वाक् saṃskṛtā vāk, for short sa संस्कृतम् saṃskṛtam) is a historical
- Shravanam is one of the nine most important angas of bhakti. Bhakti Yoga ( Devanāgarī: भक्ति योग is a term within Hinduism which denotes the spiritual practice of fostering loving devotion to God
Hindu rituals and festivals
- As "Panchanga Shravanam" - An every day ritual, normally in temples, Lord hears the reading of the daily almanac.
- Shravanam means listening to the transcendental descriptions of the Lord's names, forms, qualities, pastimes, and associates from the mouths of bhaktas. It may also mean "listening/hearing the divine names/qualities of the Lord".
- Shravan is the birth star of Lord Venkateshwara. Venkateshwara ( Telugu వెంకటేశ్వరుడు, వెంకన్న Sanskrit: sa वेंकटेश्वर also known as Venkatachalapathy An auspicious star out of the 27 stars in Hindu astrology. Hinduism is a religious tradition that originated in the Indian subcontinent. It is also referred to as Thiruvonam in Malayalam. Not to be confused with the Malay language. Malayalam (മലയാളം malayāḷaṁ) is a Dravidian language used Onam festival is celebrated on the day of this star. Onam is the state festival of Kerala. It is celebrated in honour of Mahabali, the mythical Asura king of ancient Kerala
- Shravan (pron. Shrāvana [see Shraavana]) is the name of a month in Hindu calendar. Shraavana ( Hindi: सावन saavan or श्रावण shraavan) is a Month of the Hindu calendar, also It refers to the period of July to August in Hindu Lunar calendar; and August to September in Tamil Calendar (Avani). Avani is a small village in Karnataka, India, about ten miles from Kolar TEST Gold Fields. It is generally fifth month of the Hindu calendar beginning from Chaitra. Chaitra ( Hindi: चैत cait or चैत्र caitr) is a Month of the Hindu calendar. Many important festivals are celebrated in this month, such as Janmashtami, Naga panchami, Avani Avittam, Shraavan Poornima, Raksha Bandhan etc. Krishna Janmashtami ( Devanagari कृष्ण जन्माष्टमी, also known as "Krishnashtami","Saatam Aatham"," Gokulashtami This is the most auspicious month of the Chaturmasa. On Purnima (full moon day)), or during the course of the month the star 'Shravan' (see above) rules the sky, hence the month is called Shravan.
In Hindu epics
- Shravan Kumar is a character in the great Hindu epic Ramayana. The Rāmāyaṇa ( Devanāgarī: sa रामायण is an ancient Sanskrit epic attributed to the Hindu sage ( Maharishi) Valmiki While taking his blind and disabled parents on a pilgrimage through the holy Hindu shrines, he is mistaken for a boar by Lord Rama's father, who is also the King. Rama ( IAST: rāma Devanāgarī: राम Khmer: Phreah Ream Thai: Phra Ram Lao: Phra Lam Tagalog: After fatally shooting Shravan with an arrow, the king apologizes to Shravan's parents. The parents then place a curse on the King that his first son will leave him when the father needs him the most.
External links Indian epic poetry is the Epic poetry written in the Indian subcontinent. A nakshatra ( Devanagari: नक्षत्र or lunar mansion is one of the 27 or 28 divisions of the sky identified by the prominent star(s in them that the
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |