This is the main article for the Category:Sexual orientation and medicine and Category:LGBT physicians.
This article discusses issues related to sexual orientation and medicine including medical associations and societies, medical schools, health, health policy, access to health care and health disparities. A health association is an Professional organization for Health professionals They are often based on specialty and are usually national often with subnational or Medical education A medical school or faculty of medicine is a Tertiary educational institution—or part of such an institution—that teaches Medicine
It also includes a timeline of events related to sexual orientation and medicine.
LGBT-specific medical associations
- Australian Lesbian Medical Association
- Deutsches Institut für Jugend und Gesellchaft - (website)
Medical associations with policy related to sexual orientation
- Australian Medical Association
Timeline of events related to sexual orientation and medicine
- See also: Timeline of AIDS and Timeline of LGBT history
- Dr. CHAPS (formerly the Community HIV/AIDS Prevention Strategy is a partnership of UK gay men's Health promotion organisations The LGBTI Health Summits are an opportunity for individuals working for the health of Intersex, trans, Bisexual, Lesbian and Gay health The LGBT Centre for Health & Wellbeing is a pioneering initiative which aims to assist Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender The National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH formerly the National Association for Research and Treatment of Homosexuality, is a Non-profit The Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA is an International organization of approximately 1000 (as of Aug 2008 lesbian gay bisexual and transgendered The American Medical Student Association (AMSA founded in 1950 and based in Washington D The LGBTI Health Summits are an opportunity for individuals working for the health of Intersex, trans, Bisexual, Lesbian and Gay health The Pritzker School of Medicine is the MD granting unit of the Biological Sciences Division of the University of Chicago. The Rainbow Health Initiative (RHI is a Minnesota -based 501(c3 organization dedicated to "improving the health of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Minnesota ( Native Americans demonstrated the name to early settlers Touro University Gay-Straight Alliance ( TUGSA) is a group of LGTB & Allied medical students staff and faculty at Touro University, a Jewish-sponsored university The University of Michigan Health System (UMHS is the wholly-owned academic medical center of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The Chinese Society of Psychiatry (CSP is the largest organization for psychiatrists in China The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (or CDC) is an agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services based in unincorporated This is a Timeline of AIDS, including some discussion of early AIDS cases (especially those before 1980 Timeline of Lesbian, Gay, bisexual and Transgender ( LGBT) history Homosexual rights during the 20th century Richard Freiherr von Krafft-Ebing, a German psychiatrist, publishes a study of sexual perversity. Richard Freiherr von Krafft-Ebing ( August 14 1840 &ndash December 22 1902) was an Austro-German sexologist and Psychiatrist
- The Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality is founded to encourage the rigorous systematic study of sexuality. The Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS or "quad-S" formed in 1957 claims to be "the oldest organization of professionals interested in the study of sexuality
- The Bay Area Physicians for Human Rights is founded in San Francisco as a support group for gay and lesbian medical students, residents, and other health care providers. The group claims to be the first LGBT medical society in the US. 
- The Gay and Lesbian Medical Association is founded 1981 as the American Association of Physicians for Human Rights. The Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA is an International organization of approximately 1000 (as of Aug 2008 lesbian gay bisexual and transgendered
- The first cases of Gay related immunodeficiency, now known as AIDS, were first reported June 5, 1981, when the U. Gay-related immune deficiency ( GRID) (sometimes informally called the gay plague or GRIDS) was an alternative name for AIDS, proposed in 1982 S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recorded a cluster of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in five homosexual men in Los Angeles. Pneumocystis pneumonia ( PCP) is a form of Pneumonia caused by the yeast-like Fungus, Pneumocystis jirovecii (Jirovecii is pronounced
- The diagnosis of Ego-dystonic sexual orientation is dropped from the DSM. Egodystonic sexual orientation is an Egodystonic condition The World Health Organization lists egodystonic sexual orientation in the ICD-10, under "Psychological
- The World health organization replaces its categorization of homosexuality as a mental illness with the diagnosis of ego-dystonic homosexuality.
- Dr. Dean Hamer publishes a paper suggesting a genetic component to sexual orientation. Dr Dean Hamer (born 1951 is an American geneticist. Hamer is the director of the Gene Structure and Regulation Unit at the U 
- Saquinavir, the first protease inhibitor is approved for public use by the FDA. Saquinavir is an Antiretroviral drug used in HIV therapy It falls in the protease inhibitor class HAART radically changes the prognosis of HIV/AIDS.
- The US Department of Defense includes homosexuality in a list of "mental disorders," in a document known as "directive 1332. 38: physical disability evaluation. "
- The United States Department of Health and Human Services publishes Healthy People 2010, with the goals of increasing the quality and years of healthy life and eliminating health disparities in America. The United States Department of Health and Human Services ( HHS) is a Cabinet department of the United States government with the goal of protecting Healthy People 2010 was started in January 2000 by the United States Department of Health and Human Services. It identifies sexual orientation as one of 6 demographic factors contributing to health disparities.
America’s gay and lesbian population comprises a diverse community with disparate health concerns. Major health issues for gay men are HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, substance abuse, depression, and suicide. Gay male adolescents are two to three times more likely than their peers to attempt suicide. Some evidence suggests lesbians have higher rates of smoking, overweight, alcohol abuse, and stress than heterosexual women. The issues surrounding personal, family, and social acceptance of sexual orientation can place a significant burden on mental health and personal safety.
– Healthy People 2010 
- New York Medical College revokes the charter of the its LGBT medical student group after the applies to change its name from Student Help Organization to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender People in Medicine. Healthy People 2010 was started in January 2000 by the United States Department of Health and Human Services. New York Medical College is a graduate health sciences university based in Westchester County, New York. School officials claimed “the organization and its leader would advocate and promote activities inconsistent with the values of NYMC. ” In an interview with the Westchester Journal News, then AMA president Dr. John Nelson says that as a private institution the college has the right to set and enforce its own policies. John Nelson is a Physician who served as president of the American Medical Association. The AMA organization did not support the ban, and the organization released a statement claiming the president's views were not representative of AMA policy. 
If you own a business or if you have a private entity, and there are rules for membership there, you have to follow the rules or you can't be a member. For example, if you come to Brigham Young University, where my children happen to go to school, there are certain things you do not do, among which is, you do not drink Coca-Cola on campus because that's against the rules. . . .
– Dr. John Nelson, president AMA
- The American Academy of Pediatrics publishes "Sexual orientation and adolescents", a report on the state of health of LGBT youth in the United States. John Nelson is a Physician who served as president of the American Medical Association. The American Academy of Pediatrics ( AAP) is an organization of Pediatricians physicians trained to deal with the medical care of infants children and adolescents
These [LGBT] adolescents may experience profound isolation and fear of discovery, which interferes with achieving developmental tasks of adolescence related to self-esteem, identity, and intimacy. Nonheterosexual youth often are subjected to harassment and violence; 45% of gay men and 20% of lesbians surveyed were victims of verbal and physical assaults in secondary school specifically because of their sexual orientation. Nonheterosexual youth are at higher risk of dropping out of school, being kicked out of their homes, and turning to life on the streets for survival. Some of these youth engage in substance use, and they are more likely than heterosexual peers to start using tobacco, alcohol, and illegal drugs at an earlier age. Youth in high school who identify themselves as gay, lesbian, or bisexual; engage in sexual activity with persons of the same sex; or report same-sex romantic attractions or relationships are more likely to attempt suicide, be victimized, and abuse substances. . . . School-based studies have found that these adolescents, compared with heterosexual peers, are 2 to 7 times more likely to attempt suicide [and] are 2 to 4 times more likely to be threatened with a weapon at school.
– American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Medical Association president Edward Hill, MD becomes the first AMA president to address the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association in a speech entitled "Understanding, Advocacy, Leadership: The AMA Perspective on LGBT Health. The American Academy of Pediatrics ( AAP) is an organization of Pediatricians physicians trained to deal with the medical care of infants children and adolescents The American Medical Association (AMA founded in 1847 and incorporated 1897 is the largest association of Physicians and Medical students in the United States Born in Omaha, Neb Dr Edward J Hill was educated in the public schools of Vicksburg Miss "
I know that GLMA members and LGBT physicians have been treated unfairly by the AMA in the past. The Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA is an International organization of approximately 1000 (as of Aug 2008 lesbian gay bisexual and transgendered There is simply no excuse for discriminatory actions or exclusions based on sexual orientation or gender identity -- none. First, GLMA has opened [the AMA's] eyes to the diverse needs of LGBT patients, and second -- and just as important -- GLMA has told patients that they have the right to expect a health care system filled with openness, fairness and equality. The Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA is an International organization of approximately 1000 (as of Aug 2008 lesbian gay bisexual and transgendered "
– Dr. Edward Hill, MD, president American Medical Association
- Touro University, a medical school in California, revokes the charter of its LGBT student organization. Born in Omaha, Neb Dr Edward J Hill was educated in the public schools of Vicksburg Miss The American Medical Association (AMA founded in 1847 and incorporated 1897 is the largest association of Physicians and Medical students in the United States Touro University Gay-Straight Alliance ( TUGSA) is a group of LGTB & Allied medical students staff and faculty at Touro University, a Jewish-sponsored university After an outcry of protest from various groups, the school restores the group and school officials apologize. 
- The American Medical Student Association membership votes to create an action committee on LGBT health issues and elects Brian Hurley to the office of national vice-president, the first LGBT person to hold the office. Brian 'Red' Hurley is an entertainer from Ireland whose singing career has spanned several decades
- The US Food and Drug Administration re-affirms its policy prohibiting men who have sex with men (MSM) from donating blood despite recommendations from the American Red Cross, and the American Association of Blood Banks. Men who have sex with men or males who have sex with males ( MSM) refers to men who engage in sexual activity with other men whether The American Red Cross (also known as the American National Red Cross) is a humanitarian organization that provides emergency assistance disaster relief and education inside
- James Holsinger is nominated by President George W. Bush to be US surgeon general. This article is about James W Holsinger Jr For other uses see Holsinger (disambiguation. George Walker Bush ( born July 6 1946 is the forty-third and current President of the United States. Because of Holsinger's alleged support of the ex-gay movement, his nomination draw sharp criticism from groups like the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association and the Human Rights Campaign. Conversion therapy has been defined by the American Psychological Association as therapy aimed at changing Sexual orientation, and by the American Psychiatric The Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA is an International organization of approximately 1000 (as of Aug 2008 lesbian gay bisexual and transgendered 
- ^ Catholic Medical Association
- ^ BAPHR
- ^ Hamer, Hu, Magnuson, Hu and Pattatucci (1993) A linkage between DNA markers on the X chromosome and male sexual orientation. Psychology was one of the first disciplines to study homosexuality as a discrete phenomenon Correlation does not imply causation is a phrase used in the Sciences and Statistics to emphasize that Correlation between two variables does not imply Science 261(5119): pp. 321-7.
- ^ Healthy People 2010, 2nd ed. "A Systematic Approach to Health Improvement" http://www.healthypeople.gov/Document/tableofcontents.htm#parta
- ^ http://www.amsa.org/lgbt/nymc.cfm
- ^ Gay group is bad medicine? - Washington Blade
- ^ Gay News From 365Gay.com
- ^ Eddings, Keith. The Journal News. 12 February 2005 http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/021205/a01p12gaymed.html
- ^ PEDIATRICS Vol. 113 No. 6 June 2004, pp. 1827-1832 http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;113/6/1827
- ^ AMA (GLBT) News release from the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association
- ^ http://www.amsa.org/lgbt/touro.cfm
- ^ Gay News From 365Gay.com
- ^ http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/story/85442.html
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |