|Saks Fifth Avenue|
|Type||Subsidiary of Saks Incorporated|
|Headquarters||New York, New York, USA|
|Products||Clothing, footwear, handbags, bedding, furniture, jewelry, beauty products, and housewares. A subsidiary, in business matters is an entity that is controlled by a bigger and more powerful entity Saks Incorporated ( is a Fortune 500 operator of high-end department stores in the United States. Year 1898 ( MDCCCXCVIII) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common The City of New York The United States of America —commonly referred to as the For other uses of this term see Industry (disambiguation An industry (from Latin industrius, "diligent industrious" In Marketing, a product is anything that can be offered to a Market that might satisfy a want or need |
Saks Fifth Avenue is an upscale American department store owned and operated by Saks Fifth Avenue Enterprises (SFAE), a subsidiary of Saks Incorporated. A website (alternatively web site or Web site, a back-construction from the Proper noun World Wide Web) is a collection of Web pages The United States of America —commonly referred to as the A department store is a Retail establishment which specializes in selling a wide range of products without a single predominant merchandise line. Saks Incorporated ( is a Fortune 500 operator of high-end department stores in the United States. It competes in the upscale department store market with Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys New York. Neiman Marcus is an upscale specialty retail Department store, operated by the Neiman Marcus Group in the United States. Bergdorf Goodman is a major world-renowned luxury goods Department store based in Midtown Manhattan in New York City. Barneys New York is a chain of department stores headquartered in New York City headed by Judy Collinson EVP and GMM of the Women's Division and Tom Kalendarian EVP and GMM for the Men's Saks is headquartered in New York City. The City of New York
Saks Fifth Avenue Enterprises (SFAE) consists of 54 Saks Fifth Avenue stores, 48 Saks Off 5th stores, 62 Club Libby Lu specialty stores, and saks. com. 
Saks Fifth Avenue logo used until 2007. The replacement logo is actually a modification of an older logo Saks used until the mid-1990s.
Saks Fifth Avenue is the successor of a business founded by Andrew Saks in 1867 and incorporated in New York in 1902 as Saks & Company. Andrew died in 1912 and in 1923 Saks & Co. Year 1923 ( MCMXXIII) was a Common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. merged with Gimbel Brothers, Inc. Gimbel Brothers (Gimbels was an iconic major American Department store corporation from 1887 through the late 20th century , operating as a separate autonomous subsidiary. On September 15, 1924, Horace Saks and Bernard Gimbel opened Saks Fifth Avenue in New York City. Year 1924 ( MCMXXIV) was a Leap year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. The City of New York
When Bernard's cousin Adam Gimbel became President of Saks Fifth Avenue in 1926 after Bernard's sudden passing, the company took on national aspirations. The very first branch store opened in 1926 in the city of Palm Beach, Florida as a resort store, followed by a Southampton resort store in 1928. Palm Beach is an upscale Incorporated town in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States. The first full-line year-round Saks store was opened in Chicago in 1929, followed by another resort store in Miami Beach, Florida. Chicago (ʃɪˈkɑːgoʊ is the largest City by population in the state of Illinois and the American Midwest of the United States. In 1938 Saks expanded to the West Coast, opening in Beverly Hills, California. By the end of the 1930s Saks Fifth Avenue had a total of 10 stores, including resort locations such as Sun Valley, Mount Stowe and Newport. More full-line stores followed with Detroit in 1940 and Pittsburgh in 1949. In downtown Pittsburgh, the company moved to its own freestanding location approximately one block from its former home on the fourth floor in the downtown Gimbel's flagship. The San Francisco location opened in 1952. The City and County of San Francisco is the fourth most populous city More expansion followed from the 1960s through the 1990s including Texas, the Midwest, and even a location in Saudi Arabia, making it a global store. In November 2007, Saks opened its first store in Latin America, located in Mexico City's upscale Santa Fe Mall.
BATUS Inc. acquired Gimbel Bros. BATUS Inc is a United States former subsidiary of British American Tobacco, now the world's second largest Cigarette manufacturer , Inc. and its Saks Fifth Avenue subsidiary in 1973. In 1990, BATUS sold Saks to Investcorp S.A., which after investing in the company and weathering the early 1990s recession took Saks public in 1996 as Saks Holdings, Inc. Investcorp ( is a provider and manager of alternative investment products serving high-net-worth private and institutional clients In 1998, Saks Holdings Inc. was acquired by Proffitt's, Inc. Proffitt's was a department store chain based in Alcoa Tennessee. Upon closing of the acquisition, Proffitt's changed its name to Saks Incorporated. Saks Incorporated ( is a Fortune 500 operator of high-end department stores in the United States.
Since the purchase of Saks Fifth Avenue by Proffitt's Inc. , the company stock has taken a beating from the original opening price when Saks Fifth Avenue became a public company. The new Saks Incorporated has had one change in business direction after another without the appearance of anyone in control or guiding the corporation. Saks Inc. has sold off all other retailers with the exception of Club Libby Lu, a small acquisition based in Chicago, Illinois, and SFA. The parent company still maintains a support center in Jackson, MS.
In 2005 vendors filled suit against Saks alleging unlawful chargebacks.  The SEC formally investigated the complaint and Saks settled with the SEC in 2007.  Today, the New York flagship store accounts for 20% of the entire chain's annual revenue.
Trivia and Pop Culture
The flagship Saks Fifth Avenue store in Manhattan.
- In the film Clueless, Saks was mentioned as one of Cher and Dionne's favorite department stores. The Florida Mall is a large enclosed Shopping mall in Orlando Florida. Clueless is a 1995 Comedy film based on Emma by Jane Austen and set in a Beverly Hills high school
- In the 2002 musical Thoroughly Modern Millie, the titular character Millie Dillmount mentions "buying her clothes at Saks Fifth Avenue" as she describes her desire to live a rich and high-class life in New York City in the song "How the Other Half Lives. Thoroughly Modern Millie is a Tony Award -winning musical with music by Jeanine Tesori, lyrics by Dick Scanlan, and a book "
- Actress Winona Ryder was caught shoplifting at the Saks Fifth Avenue store in Beverly Hills, California, on December 12, 2001. Winona Laura Horowitz (born October 29 1971 better known under her professional name Winona Ryder, is an American actress
- In Shrek 2's Kingdom of Far Far Away, it is parodied as Saxon Fifth Avenue. Shrek 2, released in the United States on 19 May 2004, is the 2004 Academy Award nominated Sequel to the Shrek 2, released in the United States on 19 May 2004, is the 2004 Academy Award nominated Sequel to the
- In the 2005 film adaptation of Steve Martin's novella Shopgirl, Claire Danes plays Mirabelle Buttersfield, an aspiring artist and sales associate at the infrequently visited glove counter of the Beverly Hills Saks Fifth Avenue. Year 2005 ( MMV) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link displays full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Stephen Glenn Martin (born August 14, 1945) is an Emmy Award -winning American Actor, Comedian, Writer, Shopgirl is a 2005 American romantic Drama film directed by Anand Tucker. Claire Catherine Danes (born April 12, 1979) is a Golden Globe Award -winning and Emmy Award -nominated American Film Interestingly this was changed for the film; in the novella, Mirabelle works for Neiman Marcus. Neiman Marcus is an upscale specialty retail Department store, operated by the Neiman Marcus Group in the United States.
- In the 2004 movie Shall We Dance?, Susan Sarandon's character Beverly Clark works at Saks Fifth Avenue. Susan Sarandon (born Susan Abigail Tomalin; October 4 1946 is an American Actress.
- In the episode of the Simpsons when Lisa went shopping, she went to "Saks Fifth Grade. "
- In an episode of Seinfeld, Helen Seinfeld obtains a gift very valuable in the eyes of Cosmo Kramer (in this case, hand cream), who asks her the source of the item. Seinfeld is an American Situation comedy, or sitcom that originally aired on NBC from July 5 1989 to May 14 1998 lasting nine seasons Helen Seinfeld, played by Liz Sheridan, is a fictional character on the US Television Sitcom Seinfeld ( 1989 - Cosmo Kramer is a character on the American television sitcom Seinfeld (1989–1998 played by Michael Richards. Helen replies "Saks Fifth Avenue in Miami," upon which Kramer says, "I'm gonna remember that if I'm ever in Florida. Florida ( is a state located in the southeastern region of the United States, bordering Alabama to the northwest and Georgia to the " Jerry responds sarcastically, saying, "Ya, or if you're ever on Fifth Avenue here in New York City, you could get some there. Jerome "Jerry" Seinfeld is the main Protagonist on the United States television sitcom Seinfeld ( 1989 "
- In the 1986 Gene Wilder movie, "Haunted Honeymoon", Dom DeLuise's character is disparaging about the activities and supposed humor of his cross dressing nephew by stating "Yes. And, when the police dragged him out of the ladies' room at Saks Fifth Avenue, that was fun!"
- In the popular rock opera "Rent", Saks is mentioned in the song "Christmas Bells", in the line, "Christmas Bells are ringing, Christmas bells are ringing, Christmas bells are singing on t. v. , at Saks!"
- In the popular American sitcom 'Friends' in the Season 1 episode 'The One with all the Poker', after sending out resumes to many different companies requesting jobs/interviews, Rachel Green gets offered an interview at Saks Fifth Avenue, to which Phoebe Buffay replies "It's like the Mothership is calling you home!"
- On the series "Sex and the City", the flagship store was a favorite shopping spot for Carrie Bradshaw. The United States of America —commonly referred to as the Friends was an The following is a list of episodes of the Emmy Award -winning United States Situation comedy Friends. An interview is a conversation between two or more people (the interviewer and the interviewee where Questions are asked by the interviewer to obtain information from } Rachel Karen Geller ( née Green) (born May 5 1970 is a Fictional character on the popular Phoebe Buffay-Hannigan (born February 16, 1967) is a Fictional character from the popular US television Sitcom A mother ship is a vessel or aircraft that carries a smaller vessel or aircraft that operates independently from it Sex and the City was an American Cable television program The original run of the show was broadcast on HBO from 1998 until 2004 for a Caroline Marie Bradshaw is the fictional narrator and lead character of the HBO Sitcom / Drama Sex and the City, played by actress
- Mercedes-Benz has created 20 S600s incooperation with Saks Fifth Avenue and marketed as the S600 Saks Edition; they come in a special color combination and include nearly every option; all were purchased within the first seven minutes of being on the market.
- The daughter of founder Andrew Saks, Leila Saks Meyer (1886 - 1957), survived the sinking of the RMS Titanic in 1912. Construction The Titanic was a White Star Line ocean liner built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Ireland She and her husband Edgar J. Meyer had returned from Europe on the ship to attend Andrew Saks' funeral.
- ^ Saks 10-Q
- ^ Saks Illegal Chargebacks
- ^ Saks Settles In August 2007 the Post Office began an experimental program selling the plus Zip Code extension to businesses. The ZIP code is the system of Postal codes used by the United States Postal Service (USPS The first company to do this was Saks Fifth Avenue which received the zip code of 10022-SHOE for the eighth floor shoe department in its flagship Fifth Avenue (Manhattan) store. <ref>[http://cbs2. com/watercooler/watercooler_story_229183207. html Shoe Store In New York Opens With New Zip Code - CBS2. com - August 17, 2007]</li> <li id="cite_note-3">'''[[#cite_ref-3|^]]''' [http://stlyrics. com/lyrics/thoroughlymodernmillie/howtheotherhalflives. htm Song Lyrics to Thoroughly Modern Millie]</li></ol></ref>
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |