ABC Radio National is an Australia-wide radio network broadcast by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation with many various programs, involving news and current affairs, arts, music, society, science, drama and comedy. For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Australia topics. Frequency is a measure of the number of occurrences of a repeating event per unit Time. Year 1932 ( MCMXXXII) was a Leap year starting on Friday of the Gregorian calendar. This article is about Broadcast radio, for other uses see Radio (disambiguation. The Australian Broadcasting Corporation, commonly abbreviated to the 'ABC' is Australia's national public broadcaster. A website (alternatively web site or Web site, a back-construction from the Proper noun World Wide Web) is a collection of Web pages For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Australia topics. Radio is the transmission of signals by Modulation of electromagnetic waves with frequencies below those of visible Light. The Australian Broadcasting Corporation, commonly abbreviated to the 'ABC' is Australia's national public broadcaster. News is any new information or information on Current events which is presented by print, broadcast, Internet, or Word of mouth Current affairs is a Genre of Broadcast journalism where the emphasis is on detailed analysis and discussion of News stories that have recently occurred Art refers to a diverse range of Human activities creations and expressions that are appealing to the Senses or Emotions of a human individual Music is an Art form in which the medium is Sound organized in Time. A society is a Population of Humans characterized by patterns of relationships between individuals that share a distinctive Culture and Institutions Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning " Knowledge " or "knowing" is the effort to discover, and increase human understanding Drama is the specific mode of Fiction represented in Performance. Comedy (from the Greek κωμωδίαkomodia has a popular meaning (any discourse generally intended to amuse especially in Television, Film, and Some programs are mirrored on Radio Australia, Australia's shortwave service. ABC Radio Australia is the international broadcasting and online service operated by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Australia 's public broadcaster Shortwave Radio operates between the frequencies of 3000 KHz (3
The radio programs from many of the stations are available for real-time streaming over the Internet, or for downloading as MP3 podcast files. Streaming multimedia is Multimedia that is constantly received by and normally presented to an end-user while it is being delivered by a streaming provider (the The Internet is a global system of interconnected Computer networks MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3, more commonly referred to as MP3, is a Digital audio encoding format using a form of Lossy data compression A podcast is a series of audio or Video digital-media files which is distributed over the Internet by syndicated Download Some programs also have transcripts available on the Radio National website.
Radio National as it is known today has had a long history. RN's Sydney station 2FC first broadcast in 1923, the ABC taking over all existing "A" Class stations in 1932. Sydney (ˈsɪdniː is the most populous city in Australia, with a Metropolitan area population of approximately 4 Year 1923 ( MCMXXIII) was a Common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Year 1932 ( MCMXXXII) was a Leap year starting on Friday of the Gregorian calendar. 2FC stood for Farmer and Company, the original owner of the station before the ABC took it over. ABC Radio National is an Australia-wide Radio network broadcast by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation with many various programs involving News and The Melbourne station, 3AR, began in 1924, followed soon after by 6WF Perth, 4QG Brisbane, 5CL Adelaide and 7ZL Hobart. Melbourne ( is the second most populous city in Australia, with a Metropolitan area population of approximately 3 Perth is the capital and largest city of the Australian state of Western Australia. Brisbane ( is the state capital of Queensland. Brisbane is the third most populous city in Australia and the most populous city of Queensland Adelaide is the capital and most populous city of the Australian state of South Australia, and is the fifth largest city in Australia with a Hobart is the state capital and most populous city of the Australian island state of Tasmania.
From 1947 until mid 1980s, "Radio 2" (as it became known) was broadcast to the major metropolitan centres with additional reception in adjacent areas. It contained most of the ABC's national programming. It began to take on a more serious tone in the 1970s. Peter Timm, an art critic, notes ABC Radio National is "virtually the only non-print media forum for art in this country. "
In 1985 ABC renamed Radio 2 to Radio National. Year 1985 ( MCMLXXXV) was a Common year starting on Tuesday (link displays 1985 Gregorian calendar) Since 1990, all RN stations have had the same callsign format - *RN, where * is the appropriate number for the state or territory.
The times shown relate to Radio National's schedules in the eastern states of Australia
- AM, The World Today, PM: in-depth news and analysis (Mondays - Fridays at, respectively, 7. The Eastern states of Australia refers to the states adjoining the east coast of Australia. AM is one of Australia's longest-running current affairs programs PM is a current affairs program on ABC Radio It is the sister program to AM. 10, 12. 00, and 17. 00)
- Asia Pacific: current regional affairs in the Asia Pacific region, mirrored on Radio Australia (Tuesdays - Saturdays at 1. 00 and 5. 00)
News and analysis
- Late Night Live, hosted by Phillip Adams and broadcast on Mondays to Thursdays at 22. Late Night Live is an Australian radio programme which is broadcast by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation Radio National as well as on Radio Australia Phillip Andrew Hedley Adams AO (born 12 July 1939 is an Australian broadcaster, Film producer, Writer, humanist, 00
- Breakfast: news, current affairs and popular culture discussions, interviews and reports hosted by Fran Kelly (Mondays - Fridays, 6. Radio National Breakfast (sometimes shortened to ‘Breakfast’ is a national early morning news programme in Australia. 00 to 8. 30)
- Bush Telegraph is an hour of country news and interviews from 11-12am. Bush Telegraph is a Radio program on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation 's Radio National network broadcast weekdays (Monday-Friday at
- Background Briefing is an agenda-setting current affairs radio documentary program (Tuesdays 19. 10, Wednesdays 04. 00, Sundays 9. 10)
- The National Interest features in depth analysis of national issues of interest (Mondays 2. The National Interest is a weekly Radio program on ABC Radio National covering national issues of interest in depth with a focus on politics 00, Sundays 12. 00), hosted by Peter Mares and formerly by Terry Lane
- The Reports (broadcast on Mondays to Fridays at 8. Terry Lane is a radio broadcaster and newspaper columnist based in Melbourne, Australia. 30 and 20. 00, and the following morning at 1. 30): The Health Report (Monday), The Law Report (Tuesday), The Religion Report (Wednesday), The Media Report (Thursday), and The Sports Factor (Friday, 8. 30 and 19. 00)
- Counterpoint hosted by Michael Duffy with views from the right of the political spectrum (Mondays 16. Counterpoint is an Australian weekly radio program presented by Michael Duffy and broadcast by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Radio National Michael Duffy is an Australian radio presenter and newspaper columnist 00, Tuesdays 21. 00, Wednesdays 02. 00)
- Life Matters, hosted by Richard Aedy and including the Talkback Classroom segment, talks with the main people behind Australia's social policies – from workplace reform to education, health, family relationships, and social change (Mondays to Fridays at 9. Talkback Classroom is a monthly Australian political forum broadcast on ABC Radio National as part of the Life Matters program 00 and 2100)
- Australia Talks: Mondays to Fridays 18. 00 – 19. 00, Tuesdays to Saturdays at 03. 00)
Arts and music
- Artworks: What's happening now in new music, art and culture in Australia and around the world (Sundays; 10. 00, Tuesday 15. 00)
- Airplay: radio plays (Fridays 21. 00, Sundays 15. 00)
- Poetica: poetry featured and produced for radio (Thursdays 21. 00, Saturdays 15. 00)
- Music Deli: live music performances (Tuesdays 2. 00, Fridays 20. 00, Sundays 16. 00)
- The Music Show: latest developments in music, featured music and interviews with performers/composers (Saturdays 10. 00 and 20. 00)
- Sound Quality: latest new music in the genre of electronica and others (Fridays 23. Sound quality generally is the quality of the audio output from various electronic devices 20 to Saturdays 1. 00)
- The Daily Planet / The Weekend Planet: music from all around the world (Mondays to Fridays 14. 20 and 16. 00, Mondays to Thursdays 2320, Saturdays and Sundays 22. 00)
- Radio Eye: Radio National's flagship documentary programme (Wednesdays 13. 00, Saturdays 14. 00)
- The Night Air : an audio adventure – Dub mixing the best of RN programming (Sundays 20. 35 & 00. 05 & Fridays 21:35)
- Exhibit A: a weekly discussion of arts issues, hosted by Julie Copeland, which is also downloadable from the ABC website.
- The Book Show: discussion of everything relating to the written word, presented by Ramona Koval (10. The Book Show is a Australian ABC radio program for the discussion of everything relating to the written word Ramona Koval (born 1954 Melbourne) is an Australian broadcaster writer and journalist 00 - 11. 00 Monday - Friday, 19. 00 Sunday)
Radio National's religion unit provides reporting and analysis on religious and ethical issues for Australia. Following its ABC charter obligations, this unit forms a key part of the ABC's religion output, and is unique in providing the independent analysis of a public broadcaster.
- The Ark : historians and authors about curious moments in religious history
- Encounter : a radio documentary series exploring connections between religion and life
- The Religion Report : religious current affairs (Wednesdays 0830 and 20. 05)
- The Rhythm Divine : "a musical journey through the world of belief"
- The Spirit Of Things: an adventure into religion and spirituality, exploring contemporary values and beliefs (Mondays 21. 00, Fridays 4. 00, Sundays 18. 00)
- All In The Mind investigates the mental universe, the mind, brain and behaviour (Wednesdays 21. 00, Saturdays 13. 00)
- Big Ideas deals with concepts of global importance. Big Ideas is a weekly radio program on ABC Radio National which presents lectures or panels on ideas or issues of particular importance
- The Philosopher's Zone: your guide through the strange thickets of logic, metaphysics and ethics. (Saturdays 13:35, Mondays 13:35)
- The Science Show: recent developments in the field of science, presented by Robyn Williams (Mondays 19. This is about the Australian science journalist for others see Robin Williams (disambiguation. 10, Tuesdays 04. 00, Saturdays 12. 10)
- All in the Mind: lateral explorations of the mind, brain and human behaviour presented by Natasha Mitchell (Wednesdays 21. 00, Saturdays 13. 00)
- In Conversation: Personal interviews with scientific thinkers presented by Robyn Williams (Thursdays 19. 40)
- Ockham's Razor: a weekly opinion piece presented by Robyn Williams (Sundays 8. William of Ockham (also Occam, Hockham, or any of several other spellings ˈɒkəm (c 45)
- ^ Timms, Peter. List of Australian radio stations. A list of Radio stations that broadcast in Australia. Radio New Zealand National (formerly National Radio is a publicly-funded non-commercial New Zealand Radio network operated by Radio New Zealand. This page provides a Timeline of the main events that charted the course of Australian radio What's Wrong With Contemporary Art? 2004, UNSW Press, ISBN 0868404071, page 102
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |