The Museum of Garden History is based in the deconsecrated parish church of St Mary-at-Lambeth adjacent to Lambeth Palace on the south bank of the River Thames in London, located on Lambeth Road. Lambeth Palace is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Thames ( is a major River flowing through southern England. London ( ˈlʌndən is the capital and largest urban area in the United Kingdom. Lambeth Road is a road in Lambeth (to the west and Southwark (to the east London SE1 running between Lambeth Bridge over the River The church originally housed the 15th and 16th century tombs of many members of the Duke of Norfolk Howard dynasty, including now-lost memorial brasses to Thomas Howard 2nd Duke of Norfolk (died 1524), his wife Agnes Tilney, Duchess of Norfolk (died 1545) and is also the burialplace of Queen Anne Boleyn's mother Elizabeth Boleyn, formerly Howard.
St Mary's, which was largely a Victorian reconstruction, was deconsecrated in 1972 and was scheduled to be demolished. Culture The Victorian fascination with novelty resulted in a deep interest in the relationship between modernity and cultural continuities In 1976 John and Rosemary Nicholson traced the tomb of the two 17th century royal gardeners and plant hunters John Tradescant father and son to the churchyard, and were inspired to create the Museum of Garden History. The Museum of Garden History is based in the deconsecrated parish church of St Mary-at-Lambeth adjacent to Lambeth Palace on the south bank of the River Thames in John Tradescant the elder (c 1570s – 15&ndash16 April 1638 father of John Tradescant the younger, was an English naturalist gardener collector and traveller probably John Tradescant the Younger ( August 4 1608 – April 22 1662) son of John Tradescant the elder, was a botanist and gardener It was the first museum in the world dedicated to the history of gardening. It is an independent charity and does not receive government funding.
The museum's main gallery is the main body of the church. The collection comprises three main categories: tools, ephemera and a library. The tool collection includes items purchased at auction and donations from individuals and horitcultural companies. The ephemera includeds items such as prints, photographs, bills, catalogues and brochures, and gives an insight into the social history of gardening as well as the practical aspects of the subject. The library of historical and contemporary books is accessible to anyone who pays the subscription to join the "friends of the museum". The museum covers the whole range of gardening, from royal gardens to allotments.
In the early 1980s, a 17th century style knot garden planted with authentic plants of the period was created in the churchyard. Knot gardens were first established in the UK in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. In its 25th anniversary year in 2002 the museum launched a campaign to raise at least £600,000 to pay for a general overhaul of its facilities.
Five members of the Tradescant family are buried here: John the Elder; John the Younger with his two wives Jane and Hester, and his son, also called John, who died aged 19. The original 17th century design for the tomb is in the Pepys Library, Oxford, and an image of it may also be found at the National Portrait Gallery. The Pepys Library of Magdalene College Cambridge is the personal Library of Samuel Pepys bequeathed to the college following his death in 1703
The present tomb is the third on the site of the Tradescant grave and replicates the original design. It was made by White of Vauxhall Bridge Road in 1853 with stone from Darnley Dale in Yorkshire. Vauxhall Bridge is a steel arched Bridge for road and foot traffic crossing the River Thames in a north-west south-east orientation between Lambeth Bridge Year 1853 ( MDCCCLIII) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian Calendar (or a Common Yorkshire is a historic county of Northern England and the largest in Great Britain.
On the east side of the tomb is carved the family arms, on the west side a skull and a seven-headed hydra, on the south side broken columns, Corinthian capitals, a pyramid and ruins, and on the north side shells, a crocodile, and a view of some Egyptian buildings. In Greek mythology, the Lernaean Hydra ( Greek: ( was an ancient nameless serpent -like Chthonic water beast that possessed numerous The Corinthian order is one of the Classical orders of Greek and Roman Architecture, characterized
The epitaph on the top of the tomb was written by Tradescant's friend, John Aubrey (spelling modernised):
- Know, stranger, ere thou pass, beneath this stone
- Lie John Tradescant, grandsire, father, son
- The last dy'd in his spring, the other two,
- Liv'd till they had travelled Orb and Nature through,
- As by their choice Collections may appear,
- Of what is rare in land, in sea, in air,
- Whilst they (as Homer's Iliad in a nut)
- A world of wonders in one closet shut,
- These famous Antiquarians that had been
- Both Gardeners to the Rose and Lily Queen,
- Transplanted now themselves, sleep here & when
- Angels shall with their trumpets waken men,
- And fire shall purge the world, these three shall rise
- And change this Garden then for Paradise. "How these curiosities would be quite forgott did not such idle fellowes as I am putt them down Homer ( Ancient Greek:, Homēros) is a legendary ancient Greek epic Poet, traditionally said to be the author of the epic poems the The Iliad ( Greek: Ἰλιάς (Ancient Ιλιάδα (Modern is together with the Odyssey, one of two ancient An antiquarian or antiquary is one concerned with Antiquities or things of the past
Local Lambeth legend states that if the tomb is danced around twelve times as Big Ben strikes midnight a ghost appears.
Also buried in the churchyard is William Bligh, captain of the Bounty. Vice-Admiral William Bligh FRS RN (9 September 1754 – 7 December 1817 was an officer of the British Royal Navy and a colonial administrator For the book about the mutiny by Charles Nordhoff and James Norman Hall see Mutiny on the Bounty (novel.