This article is about internationalization and localization in computer software design and programming. For the use of "locale" as a place
, see location
. Here is a list of places on earth based on specific categories The article is about the geographic sense of the term For other uses including Regions and Regional, see Region (disambiguation.
For the use of the term "locale" in order theory
and pointless topology
, see frames and locales
. Order theory is a branch of Mathematics that studies various kinds of Binary relations that capture the intuitive notion of ordering providing a framework for saying In Mathematics, pointless topology (also called point-free or pointfree topology is an approach to Topology which avoids the mentioning of points In Mathematics, especially in Order theory, a complete Heyting algebra is a Heyting algebra which is complete as a lattice.
In computing, locale is a set of parameters that defines the user's language, country and any special variant preferences that the user wants to see in their user interface. Computing is usually defined like the activity of using and developing Computer technology Computer hardware and software. In Mathematics, Statistics, and the mathematical Sciences a parameter ( G auxiliary measure) is a quantity that defines certain characteristics The user interface (or Human Computer Interface) is the aggregate of means by which people&mdash the users '&mdash interact with the System Usually a locale identifier consists of at least a language identifier and a region identifier.
Locale identifiers can be defined in several ways:
- On Unix, Linux and other POSIX-type platforms, they are defined similar to the RFC 3066 definition, but the locale variant modifier is defined differently, and the charset is included as a part of the identifier. Unix (officially trademarked as UNIX, sometimes also written as Unix with Small caps) is a computer Linux (commonly pronounced ˈlɪnəks POSIX (ˈpɒzɪks or "Portable Operating System Interface" is the collective name of a family of related standards specified by the IEEE to define A character encoding consists of a code that pairs a sequence of characters from a given character set (sometimes incorrectly referred to as Code page It is defined in this format:
- [language[_territory][. codeset][@modifier]].
General locale settings
These settings usually include the following display (output) format settings
- Display language setting
- Number formats setting
- Date/Time formats setting
- Timezone setting
- Daylight saving time (DST) setting
- Currency formats setting
The above formats may or may not include also an input format setting. The latter, that is the input format setting, is also mostly defined on a per application basis. The daylight saving time setting (DST) is derived from the Timezone Setting. Daylight saving time ( DST
An exception to the rule is the
which declares only an input setting but not specifically an output setting, since most keyboards are not an output device. QWERTY keyboardjpg|thumb|right|300px|QWERTY keyboard on a Laptop of 2007]]A keyboard layout is any specific mechanical, visual, or functional
Programming/markup language support
and other (nowadays) Unicode-based environments, they are defined in a format similar to RFC 3066 or one of its successors. tags please moot on the talk page first! --> In Computing, C is a general-purpose cross-platform block structured Eiffel is an ISO -standardized Object-oriented Programming language designed to enable programmers to efficiently develop extensible reusable reliable REBOL, the Relative Expression Based Object Language (pronounced) is a proprietary Closed source data exchange and programming language Ruby is a dynamic, reflective, general purpose Object-oriented programming language that combines syntax inspired by Perl with Smalltalk NOTES FOR EDITORS "Perl" is not an acronym (read the "Name" section below PHP is a computer Scripting language. Originally designed for producing Dynamic web pages it has evolved to include a Command line interface capability Python is a general-purpose High-level programming language. Its design philosophy emphasizes programmer productivity and code readability Don't change "Extensible" In Computing, Unicode is an Industry standard allowing Computers to consistently represent and manipulate text expressed in most of the world's They are usually defined with just ISO 639 and ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes. ISO 639 is the set of international standards that lists short codes for Language names ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes are two-letter Country codes in the ISO 3166-1 standard to represent countries and dependent territories.
Specifics for Microsoft platform(s)
- Locale identifier (LCID) for unmanaged code on Microsoft Windows, a number such as 1033 for English (United States) or 1041 for Japanese (Japan). Managed code is computer program code that executes under the management of a Virtual machine, unlike unmanaged code which is executed directly by the computer's Microsoft Windows is a series of Software Operating systems and Graphical user interfaces produced by Microsoft. These numbers consist of a language code (lower 10 bits) and culture code (upper bits) and are therefore often written in hexadecimal notation, such as 0x0409 or 0x0411. In Mathematics and Computer science, hexadecimal (also base -, hexa, or hex) is a Numeral system with a The list of those codesets are described in character encoding. A character encoding consists of a code that pairs a sequence of characters from a given character set (sometimes incorrectly referred to as Code page
- Microsoft is beginning to introduce unmanaged code Application programming interfaces (APIs) for . Microsoft Corporation is an American multinational Computer technology Corporation, which rose to dominate the Home computer NET that use this format. One of the first to be generally released is a function to mitigate issues with internationalized domain names , but more are in Windows Vista Beta 1. An internationalized domain name ( Windows Vista (ˈvɪstə is a line of Operating systems developed by Microsoft for use on Personal computers including home and business desktops
- Beginning with Windows Vista, new functions that use RFC 4646 locale names have been introduced to replace nearly all LCID-based APIs. Windows Vista (ˈvɪstə is a line of Operating systems developed by Microsoft for use on Personal computers including home and business desktops
External links© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |