Something that is irregular does not follow the expected pattern. The term is used in many different fields, with quite different meanings.
- In astronomy, an astronomical object whose shape or behavior varies considerably from the archetype is called an irregular. Astronomy (from the Greek words astron (ἄστρον "star" and nomos (νόμος "law" is the scientific study s are significant physical entities, associations or structures which current Science has confirmed to exist in Space. An archetype ( pronounced: /ˈɑːkɪtaɪp/ (Brit or /ˈɑrkɪtaɪp/ (Amer This applies to irregular galaxy, irregular variable, asteroid, crater, orbit, planet, moon or natural satellite. An irregular galaxy is a Galaxy that does not fall into any of the regular classes of the Hubble sequence. An irregular variable is a type of Variable star in which variations in brightness show no regular Periodicity. Asteroids, sometimes called Minor planets or planetoids', are bodies—primarily of the inner Solar System —that are smaller than planets but In the broadest sense the term impact crater can be applied to any depression natural or manmade resulting from the high velocity impact of a projectile with larger body In Physics, an orbit is the gravitationally curved path of one object around a point or another body for example the gravitational orbit of a planet around a star A planet, as defined by the International Astronomical Union (IAU is a celestial body Orbiting a Star or stellar remnant that is This article is about artificial satellites For natural satellites also known as moons see Natural satellite.
- In language, it is applied to a word that does not follow the most common rules of the language, such as irregular verb, plural or spelling. A language is a dynamic set of visual auditory or tactile Symbols of Communication and the elements used to manipulate them In contrast to Regular verbs irregular verbs are those Verbs that fall outside the standard patterns of conjugation in the Languages in which they Plural is a Grammatical number, typically referring to more than one of the Referent in the real world Spelling is the Writing of a Word or words with the necessary letters and Diacritics present in an accepted standard order See irregularity (linguistics).
- In business, law, politics, science and related fields, an irregular procedure, typically called an irregularity, is an action that does not completely follow the agreed standards, though it does not violate them. A business (also called firm or an enterprise) is a legally recognized organizational entity designed to provide goods and/or services to Law is a system of rules enforced through a set of Institutions used as an instrument to underpin civil obedience politics economics and society Politics Politics is the process by which groups of people make decisions Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning " Knowledge " or "knowing" is the effort to discover, and increase human understanding By itself, a single irregularity is of little consequence, but when many irregularities occur together, they may be signs of hidden fraud, misconduct or malfeasance. In the broadest sense a fraud is a Deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual See creative accounting and 2004 U.S. presidential election controversy and irregularities for examples. Creative accounting and earnings management are Euphemisms referring to Accounting practices that may ”follow the letter of the rules of Standard After the November 2, 2004 Election in the United States, concerns were raised about various aspects of the voting process including whether voting had
- In manufacturing, an irregular is a product that does not meet the accepted levels of quality, but still available for sale, typically in outlet stores or secondary markets at a lower price. Manufacturing (from Latin manu factura, "making by hand" is the use of tools and labor to make things for use or sale An outlet store or factory outlet or "Best Saving Outlet" is a retail store in which Manufacturers sell their stock directly to the public
- In military terms, an irregular is a soldier who is not part of the official regular army, or does not follow regular army tactics. A military is an Organization authorized by its Nation to use force usually including use of Weapons in defending its Country (or by attacking See irregular military. Irregular military refers to any non-standard military Being defined by exclusion there is a lot of variance in what comes under the term
- In medicine, anything that does not follow the expected healthy pattern may be called irregular, such as irregular heartbeat or irregular menstrual cycle. Medicine is the art and science of healing It encompasses a range of Health care practices evolved to maintain and restore Human Health by the Dysrhythmia redirects here For the American band see Dysrhythmia (band. The menstrual cycle is a recurring cycle of physiologic changes that occurs in reproductive-age Females Overt menstruation (where there is blood flow from the
- In mathematics, something that falls below the definition of the perfect archetype may be called irregular, such as irregular prime, polygon or polyhedron. Mathematics is the body of Knowledge and Academic discipline that studies such concepts as Quantity, Structure, Space and An archetype ( pronounced: /ˈɑːkɪtaɪp/ (Brit or /ˈɑrkɪtaɪp/ (Amer In Number theory, a regular prime is a certain kind of Prime number. In Geometry a polygon (ˈpɒlɨɡɒn ˈpɒliɡɒn is traditionally a plane figure that is bounded by a closed path or circuit What is a polyhedron? We can at least say that a polyhedron is built up from different kinds of element or entity each associated with a different number of dimensions The irregularity is an invariant of algebraic surfaces. In Mathematics, the Enriques-Kodaira classification is a classification of compact complex surfaces
- In chess, an opening that is little used and less studied is called an irregular chess opening. Chess is a recreational and competitive Game played between two players. Irregular openings are Chess openings with an unusual first move from White
See also The Baker Street Irregulars are any of several different groups all named after the original from various Sherlock Holmes stories Irregular Webcomic! is a Webcomic created by David Morgan-Mar, an Australian Physicist. A Maverick, in the video game series Mega Man X, Mega Man Zero, and Mega Man ZX, is a Reploid who generally
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
- something nonstandard; something that breaks the series
- A soldier who is not a member of an official military force and, often, does not follow regular army tactics
network: | |