- For the current Iraqi intelligence agency, see Iraqi National Intelligence Service. The Iraqi National Intelligence Service (INIS is an intelligence agency of the Iraqi government that was created in April 2004 on the authority of the Coalition
The Iraqi Intelligence Service (Jihaz Al-Mukhabarat Al-A'ma), also known as the Mukhabarat, General Directorate of Intelligence, or Party Intelligence, was the main state intelligence organization in Iraq under Saddam Hussein. For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Iraq topics. Saddam Hussein Abd al-Majid al-Tikriti ( Arabic: ar صدام حسين عبد المجيد التكريتي --> April 28 1937 &ndash December 30 The IIS was primarily concerned with international intelligence collection and analysis but also performed many activities inside Iraq.
The most important section of the IIS was Directorate 4 – the Secret Service. One of the well known Directors was Rafi' Dahham Mejwel Al-Tikriti (Arabic: رافع دحام مجول التكريتي) the former Iraqi Ambassador to Turkey and the last Chief of the Iraqi Intelligence Service. Rafi' Dahham Mejwel Al-Tikriti (رافع دحام مجول التكريتي Saddam Hussein 's second cousin Member of the Iraqi Revolutionary Command Council Director Arabic (ar الْعَرَبيّة (informally ar عَرَبيْ) in terms of the number of speakers is the largest living member of the Semitic language The Secret Service was tasked with infiltrating both foreign and domestic governments, unions, embassies, and opposition groups. IIS often worked closely with the Iraqi General Security Directorate (the Iraqi equivalent of the FBI) when conducting domestic activities. For the current Iraqi domestic intelligence agency see General Security Directorate (Iraq.
IIS is alleged to be responsible for a number of assassinations and attempted assassinations abroad. AssassiNation is the sixth album by Krisiun, released in 2006 on Century Media. These include the assassinations of Sheikh Talib al-Suhail al-Tamimi in Beirut (April 1994), Ayatollah Mehdi al-Hakim in Sudan (January 1988), and Dr. Sheikh, also rendered as Sheik, Cheikh, Shaikh, and other variants ( Arabic:, shaykh TĀLIB AL-SUHAIL AL-TAMĪMĪ leader of the Iraqi Banī Tamīm was assassinated by the Iraqi Intelligence Service in Beirut (April 1994 Beirut (بيروت Bayrūt) is the Capital and Largest city of Lebanon with a population of over 2 Ayatollah ( Persian: آيتالله, âyato-llâh, from Arabic: آية الله, āyatu 'llāh, meaning 'the sign of Sudan (officially the Republic of Sudan) ( السودان al-Sūdān is a country in northeastern Africa. Ayad Habashi in Rome (October 1986), as well as the nearly successful assassinations of President George H.W. Bush, former Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi and the Emir of Kuwait. Rome ( Roma ˈroma Roma is the capital city of Italy and Lazio, and is Italy's largest and most populous city with more than 2 George Herbert Walker Bush (born June 12 1924 served as the forty-first President of the United States from 1989 to 1993 Ayad Allawi ( إياد علاوي) (born 1945 is an Iraqi politician and was the interim Prime Minister of Iraq prior to Iraq's 2005 legislative This is an (incomplete list of Emirs of Kuwait: The Sabah dynasty came to power in 1752 before which date the Bani Khalid tribe ruled the region
IIS was broken up into a number of Bureaus, which oversaw the individual Directorates. The following list gives the Directorates divided by Bureau, and a brief description of the Directorate.
- Directorate 4 – Secret Service
- Located inside the headquarters of the IIS, Directorate 4's activities took place in both Iraq and abroad, with agents infiltrated within Iraqi government departments, the Ba'ath Party, associations, unions and organizations, Iraqi embassies and opposition parties. Headquarters (HQ denotes the location where most if not all of the important functions of an organization are concentrated For the government of parliamentary systems see Executive (government. The Arab Socialist Ba'th Party (also spelled Baath or Ba'ath; Arabic: حزب البعث العربي الاشتراكي was founded in Damascus A voluntary association or union (also sometimes called a voluntary organization, unincorporated association, or just an association) is a group A trade union or labour union is an organization of workers who have banded together to achieve common goals in key areas such as wages hours and working conditions forming An organization (or organisation &mdash see spelling differences) is a social arrangement which pursues collective goals which controls its own performance and A diplomatic mission is a group of people from one State or an international Inter-governmental organization (such as the United Nations) present in Parliamentary opposition is a form of political opposition to a designated government particularly in a Westminster -based Parliamentary system In addition, the Secret Service received information from the Al Hadi Project. The Directorate included a number of offices responsible for the collection of information about a specific country or region. An office is generally a room or other area in which people work, but may also denote a position within an Organization with specific duties attached These offices included areas for Southeast Asia, Turkey, Iran, America (North and South), Europe, Arab states, Africa and the former Soviet Union. Turkey (Türkiye known officially as the Republic of Turkey ( is a Eurasian Country that stretches For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Iran topics. The Americas are the lands of the Western hemisphere or New World, consisting of the Continents of North America and South America The post-Soviet states, also commonly known as former Soviet republics, are the 15 independent nations that split off from the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics Directorate 4 worked in coordination with Directorates 3, 5, 9, 12, 14 and 18. The last director of Directorate 4 was BG Mohammed Yasin Al Shammari from Mosul. Brigadier General is the lowest ranking General Officer in some countries usually sitting between the ranks of Colonel and Major General. For the village in Azerbaijan see Mosul Azerbaijan. Mosul (الموصل Al Mūṣul, Kurdish: Mosul/Ninawa, Musul
- Directorate 8 – Technical Affairs
- Located in the headquarters of the ISS, Directorate 8 was responsible for the fingerprinting of all IIS employees and the development of materials needed for covert offensive operations. A fingerprint is an impression of the friction ridges of all or any part of the finger This article describes three distinct but related terms military operations Operations as military events and operational level of war These included weapons, explosives and poisons. A weapon is a Tool used either in Hunting, or attack or defence in Combat for the purpose of subduing enemy personnel or to destroy enemy weapons An explosive material is a material that either is chemically or otherwise Energetically unstable or produces a sudden expansion of the material usually accompanied In the context of Biology, poisons are substances that can cause damage, Illness, or Death to Organisms usually by Directorate 8 also assembled cameras, communications equipment and employed many engineers and scientists with advanced degrees. A camera is a device used to capture images either as still Photographs or as sequences of moving images ( Movies or Videos. An engineer is a person professionally engaged in a field of Engineering. A scientist, in the broadest sense refers to any person that engages in a systematic activity to acquire Knowledge or an individual that engages in such practices The last director of Directorate 8 was Dr Mohammed al-Masri, who was of Egyptian origin. This article is about the country of Egypt For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Egypt topics.
- Directorate 9 – Secret Operations
- One of the most important directorates within the IIS. Directorate 9's work was mostly outside Iraq in coordination with Directorates 5, 12, 14 and 18, focusing on operations of sabotage and assassination. Sabotage is a deliberate action aimed at weakening an enemy oppressor or employer through subversion obstruction disruption and/or destruction The last director of Directorate 9 was MG Abdul Hameed Khalaf al-Bayati, with BG Hussain Abdul Khaliq ad-Douri, from Dour as his Assistant Director. Major General or Major-General is a Military rank used in many countries
- Directorate 12 – Electronic Surveillance
- Responsible for the planting, monitoring, and analyzing video and audio surveillance devices within the IIS. Video is the technology of electronically capturing, Recording, processing storing transmitting and reconstructing a sequence of Still images Sound' is Vibration transmitted through a Solid, Liquid, or Gas; particularly sound means those vibrations composed of Frequencies Surveillance is the monitoring of Behavior. Systems surveillance is the process of monitoring the behavior of people objects or processes within systems for conformity Device was a short-lived Pop-rock trio formed by Keyboardist, Bassist and Vocalist Holly Also partially responsible for the forging of currency. Forging is the term for shaping metal by using localized compressive forces A currency is a unit of exchange, facilitating the transfer of Goods and/or services It is one form of Money, where money is
- Directorate 17 – National Security Institute
- Responsible for the training of IIS officers. The term training refers to the acquisition of knowledge skills and competencies as a result of the teaching of vocational or practical skills and knowledge Located in the Jihad district (possibly at Abu Ghraib in the western suburbs of Baghdad), it contained full living quarters and a supermarket. The city of Abu Ghraib ( Arabic: أبو غريب Abū Ghurayb South San Jose (cropjpg||thumb|A suburban development in San Jose California. Baghdad (بغداد) is the Capital of Iraq and of Baghdad Governorate, with which it is also coterminous Quarters is a popular Drinking game which involves players bouncing a quarter off of a table in an attempt to have the quarter land usually into a Shotglass Customer divider barjpg|thumb|In supermarkets sellers periodically change prices for classes of goods in response to market conditions rather than negotiating the price of each good High-school graduates undertook a three year course, and college graduates an 18-month course prior to entering the intelligence service as junior officers. College ( Latin collegium) is a term most often used today to denote an Educational Institution. An academic major, major concentration, concentration, or simply major is mainly a U An intelligence agency is a governmental agency that is devoted to the Information gathering (known in the context as " intelligence " The term junior officer is sometimes used to make clear that an officer in a Military or Paramilitary unit is not in overall command
- Responsible for collecting and analyzing information from around the world, including open sources such as radio, satellite TV, and newspapers. Information as a concept has a diversity of meanings from everyday usage to technical settings Radio is the transmission of signals by Modulation of electromagnetic waves with frequencies below those of visible Light. Satellite television is Television delivered by the means of Communications satellites as compared to conventional Terrestrial television and Cable A newspaper is a written Publication containing News, information and Advertising, usually printed on low-cost paper called Newsprint.
- Responsible for conducting psychological warfare operations, including the dissemination of false information. The US Department of Defense defines psychological warfare ( PSYWAR) as" The planned use of Propaganda and other Psychological actions
- Directorate 5 – Counter-Intelligence
- Responsible for the detection and neutralization of foreign intelligence agents, with a particular focus on Syrian infiltrators. Syria ( سوريّة or) officially the Syrian Arab Republic (Arabic ar الجمهورية العربية السورية Infiltrator is a 1986 Video game published by US Gold / Mindscape Inc Directorate 5 works in conjunction with Directorates 3, 4, 14 and 18. Undated sources name BG Sadoon Ali al-Tikriti, from Auja as Director of Directorate 5, and LTC Ahmed Lahij ad-Dulaimi as Assistant Director. Lieutenant Colonel ( Lieutenant-Colonel in English from the French grade 's spelling is a rank of Commissioned officer in the armies
- Directorate 6 – Mukhabarat Security
- Responsible for the conduct of officers and other members of the ISS. Directorate 6 was responsible for the issuing of papers, passports, and marriage sanctions for all ISS employees. A passport is a document issued by a national government which certifies for the purpose of international travel the identity and nationality of its holder NOTICE TO WOULD-BE ROMEOS ************** The last Director of Directorate 6 was MG Abdul Hameed Yasin al-Ghurairi, with COL Ibrahim al-`Aani as his Assistant. Colonel ( RP ˈkɜnəl GA ˈkɜrnəl is a Military rank of a Commissioned officer, with corresponding ranks existing in almost every country
- Directorate 7 – Al Haakimiya
- The primary interrogation center of the ISS was Al Haakimiya, located opposite the Passport Office on 52nd Street. Interrogation or questioning is Interviewing as commonly employed by officers of the Police and Military. Sources conflict on the size of the building; some claim that it has five floors above ground and five below; other sources claim that there were three above and two below ground.
- Directorate 19 – Personnel Supervision
- Responsible for surveillance of IIS employees.
- Directorate 22 – Protection
- Responsible for personal protection of senior IIS officials and visiting dignitaries.
- Uncertain designation. Conducted training of agents for the Clandestine operations abroad. A Clandestine operation is a military or Intelligence operation carried out in such a way that the operation goes unnoticed
- Rapid intervention force of the IIS, armed with light and semi-heavy weapons. RAPID is an acronym for Rural Address Property IDentification a scheme instituted in New Zealand to assist emergency services in identifying and locating rural properties
- Directorate 2 – Administration
- Responsible for all administrative affairs. Directorate 2 was divided into a number of subdivisions:
- Payments and Gifts
- Land and Housing
- Word Processing and Typing
- Public Enquiries
- Directorate 10 – Legal Directorate
- Charged with all IIS legal matters. Represents the IIS on joint committees with other government departments and ministries. Also contained the court where IIS prisoners were tried. The last director of Directorate 10 was BG Kamel Qurtasi al-Jenabi, with COL Saadoun Mohammed al-Mashhadani as his Assistant Director.
- Directorate 11 – Accounts
- Located in the headquarters complex. Responsible for financial affairs, and the salaries of all directorates except Directorate 1. The field of finance refers to the concepts of Time, Money and Risk and how they are interrelated
- Located in the headquarters complex. Responsible for medical examinations of new recruits and medical care for members of the IIS. Physical examination or clinical examination is the process by which a Health care provider investigates the body of a Patient for signs Health care is the prevention treatment and management of illness and the preservation of mental health through the services offered by the medical, Nursing
- Directorate 15 – Vehicles
- Responsible for the vehicles of the IIS and their maintenance. Vehicles, derived from the Latin word vehiculum, are non-living Means of transport. Car maintenance means to inspect the condition of car components and add (or change expendable parts (or materials
- Directorate 16 – Physical Plant
- Responsible for the maintenance, repair, and cleaning of all IIS buildings.
- Directorate 20 – Printing
- Responsible for printing leaflets, books, and forged documents (including passports). A leaflet in Botany is a part of a compound Leaf. A leaflet may resemble an entire leaf but it is not borne on a stem as a leaf is but rather
- Directorate 27 – Engineering And Construction
- Responsible for the construction of IIS buildings and housing for senior officers.
- Directorate 1 – The Private Office
The office of the director of the Mukhabarat was situated in its own building at the main entrance of the Mukhabarat complex in the Mansour district of Baghdad. All instructions and directives flowed from this office, and the director's meetings with his senior staff took place here. The last Director of the Mukhabarat was Rafi' Dahham Al Tikriti , former director of the Fourth Directorate of the Mukhabarat and former Iraqi Ambassador in Turkey. He assumed his present position on July 1, 1997. The Director up to June 30, 1997 was Mani' Abd Rashid Al Tikriti. The Manager of the Director's Office is Col. `Aayed Al Douri (Abu Tayseer), from Dour, and the Director's secretary is Capt. Muthana Al Tikriti (nephew of Mani' Abd Rashid).
Subdivisions of D1:
The Secretariat Audit Security Salaries Electronic equipment Reception and appointments Internal and external co-ordination
- Directorate 3 – Surveillance
- Situated in the National Security Institute in the Jihad District of Baghdad, Directorate 3 was divided into three subdivisions: mobile surveillance (close pursuit of targets with vehicles); foot surveillance; and stationary surveillance (surveillance of a fixed premises such as a kiosk or shop). Baghdad (بغداد) is the Capital of Iraq and of Baghdad Governorate, with which it is also coterminous Vehicles, derived from the Latin word vehiculum, are non-living Means of transport. The last known director for Directorate 3 was BG Mohammed ad-Douri (Abu Nihad), from Dour, and the last known Assistant Director was LTC Subhi Ibrahim al-Jibouri, from Baiji/Al Siniya.
- One of the largest and most important directorates within the IIS, Directorate 14 was responsible for the most secret and sensitive operations undertaken outside of Iraq. Directorate 14, also referred to as the Directorate of Special Operations or M14, was a branch of the Iraqi Intelligence Service under President Saddam Directorate 14 was also responsible for the training of officers for operations of this nature. The last known director for Directorate 14 was BG Nouri ad-Douri (Abu Ibrahim) from Jadriya.
- Responsible for the Mujahideen Khalq Organisation (MKO). The People's Mujahedin of Iran ( PMOI, also MEK, MKO) ( Persian: سازمان مجاهدين خلق ايران sāzmān-e mojāhedin-e khalq-e Directorate 18 issues the orders and tasks for MKO operations in Iraq, Iran, and other countries. For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Iraq topics. For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Iran topics. The last known director for Directorate 18 was BG Ihsan al-Timmimi (Syed Ihsan), with COL Ali Bilal Hussein ad-Dulaimi as his Assistant Director.
- Directorate 21 – Residency
- Responsible for monitoring the residence permits of foreigners and Arabs in Iraq. Directorate 21 was headquartered in the Karradeh District of Baghdad. Baghdad (بغداد) is the Capital of Iraq and of Baghdad Governorate, with which it is also coterminous
- Directorate 23 – Southern District
- Headquartered in Basra, Directorate 23 was responsible for positions and operations in the south of Iraq. Basra ( BGN: AlBasrah also called Basorah Abillah and Uruk or IRAQ The name that British colony has adopted for Basra It was charged with following political events and infiltrating countries neighboring southern Iraq.
- Directorate 24 – Northern District
- Headquartered in Mosul with an office in Kirkuk, Directorate 24 was responsible for operations in northern Iraq. For the village in Azerbaijan see Mosul Azerbaijan. Mosul (الموصل Al Mūṣul, Kurdish: Mosul/Ninawa, Musul Kirkuk (also spelled Karkuk or Kerkuk; Kurdish: كهركووك Kerkûk; Arabic: كركوك Turkish:Kerkük; Also responsible for infiltrating opposition groups in northern Iraq.
- Directorate 25 – Western District
- Headquartered in Ramadi, Directorate 24 was responsible for operations and recruitment of agents in Syria and Jordan. Ramadi ( BGN: Ar Ramādī) is a City in central Iraq, about West of Baghdad Syria ( سوريّة or) officially the Syrian Arab Republic (Arabic ar الجمهورية العربية السورية Jordan, officially the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan (الأردنّ al-Urdunn) is an Arab country in Southwest Asia spanning the southern Also responsible for gun-running and smuggling across the border, and coordinating with opposition parties. The last known director of Directorate 25 was BG Jamal Amr al-Rawi from Rawa
- Directorate 26 – Eastern District
- Headquartered in Karbala, Directorate 26 was responsible for operations in the Karbala Governorate. Rawa (Arabic راوه is a city in Iraq along the Euphrates River Karbala ( BGN: Al-Karbalā’; also spelled Karbala al-Muqaddasah) is a city in Iraq, located about southwest of Baghdad at
- Directorate 28 – Security of MIO
- Directorate 28 was responsible for the security of all Military Industrialization Organization facilities. It was established after the defection of Hussein Kamel in August 1995. Hussein Kamel Hassan al-Majid (حسين كامل حسن المجيد (died February 23, 1996) was the son-in-law and second cousin of Iraqi leader
Following an unsuccessful assassination attempt on Iraq's ruler Abdul Karim Qasim in October 1959 by the Ba'ath Party, Saddam Hussein was placed in charge of Jihaz al Khas (Special Apparatus) sometime between 1964 and 1966. Abd al-Karim Qasim (عبد الكريم قاسم) (1914 – February 9 1963 was a nationalist Iraqi Military officer who seized power in a 1958 The Arab Socialist Ba'th Party (also spelled Baath or Ba'ath; Arabic: حزب البعث العربي الاشتراكي was founded in Damascus Saddam Hussein Abd al-Majid al-Tikriti ( Arabic: ar صدام حسين عبد المجيد التكريتي --> April 28 1937 &ndash December 30 Codenamed Jihaz al-Haneen (Instrument Of Yearning), the organisation concentrated on security and intelligence work. After the Ba'ath Party seized power on July 17, 1968, Saddam expanded the Special Apparatus and took control of the Amn (State Internal Security Department). The Arab Socialist Ba'th Party (also spelled Baath or Ba'ath; Arabic: حزب البعث العربي الاشتراكي was founded in Damascus Events 180 - Twelve inhabitants of Scillium in North Africa are executed for being Christians Year 1968 ( MCMLXVIII) was a Leap year starting on Monday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. Following the failed coup attempt led by Director of Internal Security Nazim Kazzar in 1973, Jihaz was transformed into Da'irat al Mukhabarat al Amah (General Intelligence Department or GID).
In 1983, under the leadership of Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti, the GID organized the massacres of the villagers of Dujail and Jezan Al Chol, the disappearance of the Barzanis from the Qushtapa camp, and the assassination of 18 members of Ayatollah Mohammed Baqir al-Hakim's family. Barzan Ibrahim al-Hasan al-Tikriti ( February 17 1951 – January 15, 2007) (sometimes known as Barazan Ibrahim al-Tikriti and Barasan Ibrahem Dujail ( Arabic: الدجيل; alternate spelling Ad Dujayl) is a small Shiite town in the Salah ad Din Governorate. Ayatollah ( Persian: آيتالله, âyato-llâh, from Arabic: آية الله, āyatu 'llāh, meaning 'the sign of Ayatollah Sayed Mohammed Baqir al-Hakim (سيد محمد باقر الحكيم(b
In recent years, as a result of the Gulf War, the external department was reduced to less than half of its pre-1990 size, while the internal department was enlarged to deal with increasing anti-Saddam activities within Iraq.
In 1993, the IIS planned and executed an assassination attempt against former US President George H. W. Bush and the Emir of Kuwait through the use of a large car bomb driven by two Iraqis. George Herbert Walker Bush (born June 12 1924 served as the forty-first President of the United States from 1989 to 1993 Emir ( Arabic: ar أمير;, female أميرة; emira;) ( Farsi and Urdu: امیر) The State of Kuwait ( دولة الكويت IPA [dawlatt̪ alkuwajt̪]) is a sovereign Arab Emirate on the coast of the Persian Gulf, enclosed A car bomb is an explosive device placed in a car or other Vehicle and then detonated.
In June 1995, Saddam Hussein dismissed his stepbrother Sabawi Ibrahim al-Tikriti from his role as head of the IIS, due to his failure to increase domestic security within Iraq. Sabawi Ibrahim al-Tikriti, half brother of Saddam Hussein, was the leader of the Iraqi secret service the Mukhabarat, at the time of the 1991 BG Majid Hasan al-Majid was named as his successor.
It was officially dissolved on May 23, 2003 by Paul Bremer per Order Number 2 of the Coalition Provisional Authority. Events 1430 - Siege of Compiègne: Joan of Arc is captured by the Burgundians while leading an army to relieve Compiègne Year 2003 ( MMIII) was a Common year starting on Wednesday of the Gregorian calendar. Lewis Paul Bremer III (born September 30 1941 known as Paul Bremer and also nicknamed Jerry Bremer, is an American Diplomat. Coalition Provisional Authority Order Number 2 Dissolution of Entites signed by CPA civil administrator L The Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA سلطة الائتلاف الموحدة was established as a Transitional government following the 
External links Barzan Ibrahim al-Hasan al-Tikriti ( February 17 1951 – January 15, 2007) (sometimes known as Barazan Ibrahim al-Tikriti and Barasan Ibrahem
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |