A high king is a king who holds a position of seniority over a group of other kings, without the title of Emperor; compare King of Kings. An emperor (from the Latin " Imperator " is a (male Monarch, usually the sovereign ruler of an Empire or another type of King of Kings is a lofty title that has been used by several monarchies (usually empires in the informal sense of great powers throughout history and in many cases the literal title
Rulers who have been termed "high king" (by their contemporaries or by modern observers) include:
- Various ancient Celtic rulers, notably the High King (ard rí) of Ireland. Celts (ˈkɛlts or /ˈsɛlts/, see Names of the Celts A High King of Ireland ( Ard Rí na hÉireann) is a historical or legendary figure who claimed lordship over the whole of Ireland. Ireland (pronounced /ˈaɾlənd/ Éire) is the third largest island in Europe, and the twentieth-largest island in the world Some other monarchs, such as King Arthur, Uther Pendragon, and Vortigern, have been termed "High King of Britain" in some accounts. King Arthur is a legendary British leader who according to medieval histories and romances, led the defence of Britain against the Saxon invaders Vortigern (ˈvɔrtɨɡɝːn also spelled Vortiger and Vortigen and in Welsh Gwrtheyrn was a 5th century warlord in Britain, a leading ruler among The following list of legendary kings of Britain derives predominantly from Geoffrey of Monmouth 's circa 1136 work Historia Regum Britanniae ("the
- The ruler of the Picts. The Picts were a Confederation of tribes in what was later to become eastern and northern Scotland from Roman times until the 10th century
- The Ard Rí Alban, high king of Scotland. The monarch of Scotland was the Head of state of the Kingdom of Scotland.
- Some ancient Greek rulers, such as Agamemnon (see anax). The term ancient Greece refers to the period of Greek history lasting from the Greek Dark Ages ca In Greek mythology, Agamemnon (very resolute / ( ancient Greek:) is a hero, the son of King Atreus of Mycenae grc Anax is an ancient Greek word for " king " It is one of the two Greek titles traditionally translated this way the other being Basileus, which
- The most powerful king of the various Etruscan city-states. Etruscan civilization is the modern English name given to the culture and way of life of a people of ancient Italy
- Mepe-Umaglesi 'Most High King' was a predicate of the Georgian Orthodox Mepe-Mepeta ('King of Kings')
- In Lithuania, the title of "Didysis Kunigaikštis" is more accurately translated as "high king", although it is traditionally rendered as "Grand Duke"
The Bretwalda was essentially the high king of the Anglo-Saxons, though the name is rarely translated as such. Georgia ( საქართველო, Sakartvelo) is a Transcontinental country in the Caucasus region situated at the dividing line between King of Kings is a lofty title that has been used by several monarchies (usually empires in the informal sense of great powers throughout history and in many cases the literal title Bretwalda, also Brytenwalda, Bretenanwealda, is an Anglo-Saxon term the first record of which comes from the late ninth century Anglo-Saxon Chronicle For their language see Anglo-Saxon language. Anglo-Saxon is the term usually used to describe the invading Tribes in the south The Yang di-Pertuan Agong in Malaysia could probably be seen as a "high king", as he is selected from among nine Malay rulers (seven Sultans, a Raja, and a Great Lord) by election (through informal agreement, on a rotational basis). The Yang di-Pertuan Agong is the highest ranking office created by the constitution of the federation of Malaysia For the biogeographical region see Malesia Malaysia (məˈleɪʒə or /məˈleɪziə/ is a country that consists of thirteen states and Sultan (سلطان is an Islamic title with several historical meanings For other uses see Raja (disambiguation and Rajah (disambiguation. In Malay Yang di-Pertuan Besar, literally "He Who Is Made Great " or "Great Ruler", is a royal Title. In practice, however, the term "high king" is rarely applied to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, rather 'King'.
The titles "maharaja" or similar (Indian), and "daewang" (Korean) could possibly be rendered as "high king", although the literal meaning is closer to "great king". The word Mahārāja (also spelled maharajah) is Sanskrit for "great king" or " High king " (a Karmadharaya from mahānt India, officially the Republic of India (भारत गणराज्य inc-Latn Bhārat Gaṇarājya; see also other Indian languages) is a country The Korean Dynasties are listed in the order of their fall This list includes the monarchs' romanized posthumous or Temple names and reign dates Korea is a geographic area composed of two sovereign countries a civilization and a former state situated on the Korean Peninsula in East Asia. The title "King of Kings" also expresses much the same concept as "high king" — it was used at various times by the Emperor of Persia (shahanshah) and the Emperor of Ethiopia. King of Kings is a lofty title that has been used by several monarchies (usually empires in the informal sense of great powers throughout history and in many cases the literal title The Persian Empire was a series of Iranian empires that ruled over the Iranian plateau, the original Persian homeland and beyond in Western Asia Shah is an Iranian term for a Monarch (leader that has been adopted in many other languages The Emperor ( Ge'ez: ንጉሠ ነገሥት nəgusä nägäst " King of Kings " of Ethiopia was the hereditary
- High-King (ハイ・キング Hai-Kingu?) is also the name of a Hello! Project unit created in 2008 featuring Ai Takahashi, Reina Tanaka, Saki Shimizu, Maimi Yajima and Maeda Yuuka. is a Japanese idol group within Hello! Project. The group was created to promote Morning Musume 's upcoming rendition of ''Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella'' is the umbrella name for all female idol Japanese pop recording artists collective that are under contract of the Up-Front Group. is a Japanese pop singer associated with Hello! Project, best known as the current leader of Morning Musume and former member of its popular subgroup Mini Moni is one of the sixth generation members of the J-pop group Morning Musume. is a Japanese pop singer Her career began in 2002 when she successfully passed the audition for Hello! Project Kids, an all-female teen pop group within Hello! Project is a member and the leader of °C-ute, a Japanese pop group within Hello! Project.
- In C. S. Lewis's fictional Chronicles of Narnia, Peter was the High King of Narnia over Edmund, Susan and Lucy by virtue of being the eldest. Clive Staples Lewis (29 November 1898 – 22 November 1963 He was also the High King over all Kings of Narnia, from the first to the last.
- In J. R. R. Tolkien's works, mainly The Silmarillion, there was a succession of High Kings of the Noldor exiled in Middle-earth, beginning with Fëanor and culminating in Gil-galad's reign. The Silmarillion is a collection of J R R Tolkien 's mythopoeic works edited and published posthumously by his son Christopher Tolkien in In the works of J R R Tolkien, the Noldor (meaning those with knowledge) were those of the second clan of the Elves, the Tatyar, who came In the works of J R R Tolkien, the Noldor (meaning those with knowledge) were those of the second clan of the Elves, the Tatyar, who came Middle-earth refers to the fictional lands where most of the stories of author J Fëanor is a character from J R R Tolkien 's fictional history The Silmarillion. Character overview Gil-galad was the last High King of the Noldor in Middle-earth Ingwë, leader of the Vanyar, is also referred as the High King of the Eldar, while Manwë is also sometimes titled High King of Arda. In J R R Tolkien 's legendarium, the Elves are one of the races of Arda. In the works of J R R Tolkien, the Vanyar are the fairest and most noble of the High Elves. In J R R Tolkien 's Legendarium, an Elf is an individual member of one of the races that inhabit the lands of Arda. Background Manwë was (with his brother Melkor ie Morgoth the greatest of the Ainur and the one that best understood the will of Eru. In J R R Tolkien 's Legendarium, Arda is the name given to the Earth in a period of prehistory wherein the places mentioned in The Lord of the Rings Thingol is acknowledged as high-king of Beleriand by Fingolfin. In The Silmarillion Thingol originally known as Elwë, is introduced as one of the three chieftains of the Elves who depart from Cuiviénen In the Third Age, the rulers of Arnor were known as "High King. In the fictional Legendarium of J R R Tolkien, Arnor, or the Northern Kingdom, was a kingdom of the Dúnedain in the land of Eriador "
- In Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, there is a line of High Kings of Prydain who are descendants of a royal family who came from the Summer Country in order to oppose Arawn. Lloyd Chudley Alexander ( January 30, 1924 - May 17, 2007) was a widely-influential American author of more than forty books The High King throughout the series is Gwydion's father Math, who is then succeeded by Gwydion and later Taran in the final novel of the series, The High King. The High King is the last book in the Chronicles of Prydain fantasy series of books by Lloyd Alexander.
See also Primus inter pares ( Latin) or First among equals is a phrase which indicates that a person is the most senior of a group of people Capo di tutti i capi or capo dei capi is Italian for "boss of all bosses" or "boss of bosses"
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |