|College of Architecture|
|Location:||Atlanta, Georgia, USA|
The College of Architecture (COA) at the Georgia Institute of Technology was established in 1908 as the Department of Architecture, offering the first four-year course of study in architecture in the Southern United States. The date of establishment or date of founding of an Institution is the date on which that institution chooses to claim as its starting point A public university is a University that is predominantly funded by public means through a national or subnational government as opposed to private universities. In Academic administration, a dean is a person with significant authority over a specific academic unit or over a specific area of concern or both A faculty is a division within a University. The concept of a university with different faculties for different subjects dates back to Al-Azhar University, which had In some Educational systems undergraduate education is Post-secondary education up to the level of a Bachelor's degree. See also Postgraduate Training in Education Postgraduate education (synonymous in North America with graduate education, and sometimes described The State of Georgia ( is a state in the United States and was one of the original Thirteen Colonies that revolted against British rule The United States of America —commonly referred to as the A website (alternatively web site or Web site, a back-construction from the Proper noun World Wide Web) is a collection of Web pages The Georgia Institute of Technology, commonly known as Georgia Tech, or Tech, is a public, Coeducational Research university in The term architecture (from Greek αρχιτεκτονικήarchitektoniki) can be used to mean a process a profession or documentation The Southern United States &mdashcommonly referred to as the American South, Dixie, or simply the South &mdashconstitutes a large distinctive 
The history of the College of Architecture spans over 98 years. The history of the Georgia Institute of Technology can be traced back to Reconstruction -era plans to develop the industrial base of the Southern United States The College of Architecture was named in 1975, having evolved from the School of Architecture and the Department of Architecture begun in 1908.  For most of the 20th century, the Architecture curriculum was directed by masters of architecture, mostly Harvard graduates (until 1975). 
In 1908, Georgia Tech (as the "Georgia School of Technology") formally began teaching architecture, when Preston A. Hopkins of Boston was appointed to teach the entering class of 20 students and organize the curriculum. The new Department of Architecture, although small, was equal in rank to other academic departments of engineering at Tech. Francis P. Smith (B. S. Univ. of Pennsylvania 1907) was selected as the first department head in 1909. The University of Pennsylvania (also known as Penn) is a private University located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.  In 1911, the first degrees, the Bachelor of Science in Architecture, were granted. This event placed Georgia Tech among the earliest public universities in the U. S. to offer an architecture degree. By 1912, the Department of Architecture grew to 42 full-time students with three faculty members. 
By 1930, the Architecture department had 132 full time students, awarded 20 degrees, and had six full-time with six part-time faculty. The curriculum during the early years was closely allied with engineering, plus the subject of construction was strongly emphasized. By the 1930s, the influence of the Beaux-Arts, formerly a dominant force in architectural education nationally, had begun to decline as the sway of Bauhaus increased. Beaux Arts architecture denotes the academic classical Architectural style that was taught at the École des Beaux Arts in Paris. ("House of Building" or "Building School" is the common term for the, a school in Germany that combined crafts and the fine arts and was famous The department did not have the post-professional graduate program or an option for architectural engineering, both of which were contained in over half of the architecture schools at the time. Architectural education was mainly a product of local concerns in Atlanta, in Georgia and the South, in accordance with the mission of the Georgia School of Technology.  In 1934, the five-year Bachelor of Architecture degree was created to conform with the requirements of the increasingly influential ACSA. Under the leadership of Bush-Brown, the Architecture students declined to 66 during the depression, reached a low of 22 students during World War II, and then exploded to 462 post-war students. World War II, or the Second World War, (often abbreviated WWII) was a global military conflict which involved a majority of the world's nations, including 
In 1948, the new School of Architecture was formed and made parallel to other professional schools within the newly renamed Georgia Institute of Technology.  In 1952, the School of Architecture building, designed by Bush-Brown, Gailey and Heffernan, was constructed, creating a separate identity for the school, with a highly professional curriculum.  In 1975, the College of Architecture was formed to handle increased enrollment and strengthening of allied disciplines. William Fash (Oklahoma State University, M. ARCH, 1960) was appointed as first dean of Architecture in 1976.  In 1975, with respect to its international thrust, the college's Paris Program was established by P. M. Heffernan. Originally located at the Ecole d'Architecture Paris Tolbiac and moved to the Ecole d'Architecture Paris la Villette, the Program provides for a full year of study for architecture students durting their senior year of undergraduate study.  In 1992, a Division of Fine Arts was created in the College of Architecture, leading to a new Arts and Technology Program for course work in the areas of music, visual arts, and multimedia. 
In 1995, the Center for Geographic Information Systems (CGIS) was created.  The CGIS has worked on projects for the 1999 Color Infra-Red (CIR) Digital Ortho Photo Program, for the Georgia GIS Data Clearinghouse, for the NWI-Wetlands statewide digital wetland database with GIS tools, for the Trees Atlanta-Greenspace Acquisition Support System, the USEPA-Air Quality, natural hazards, hydrography, and for infrastructure management. Hydrography focuses on the measurement of physical characteristics of Waters and marginal land Infrastructure typically refers to the technical structures that support a society such as Roads Water supply, Wastewater, Power grids 
The College of Architecture has two buildings, located near the center of campus. The term architecture (from Greek αρχιτεκτονικήarchitektoniki) can be used to mean a process a profession or documentation In the fields of Architecture and Civil engineering, construction is a process that consists of the Building or assembling of Infrastructure Regional planning is a branch of Land use planning and deals with the efficient placement of land use activities infrastructure and settlement growth across a significantly Industrial design is an Applied art whereby the Aesthetics and Usability of mass-produced products may be improved for marketability and Music is an Art form in which the medium is Sound organized in Time. The first, containing the auditorium and one jury space, was built in 1952. The second was constructed in 1979, using land from a paved parking area. The new building houses the library and computer labs, and has much more space, though it has the disadvantage of sometimes being noisy.
A complete list is available on the COA website.