Far Rockaway street scene
Far Rockaway is one of the four neighborhoods on the Rockaway Peninsula in the New York City borough of Queens in the United States. The Rockaway Peninsula, also known as The Rockaways, is the name of a peninsula of Long Island, most of which is located within the borough of Queens The City of New York In New York City, a borough is a unique form of government which administers the five fundamental constituent parts that make up the consolidated city The United States of America —commonly referred to as the It describes the easternmost section of the Rockaways, usually the area east of Beach 77th Street, comprising the neighborhoods of Bayswater, Edgemere, Arverne, as well as Far Rockaway proper and Downtown Far Rockaway. Bayswater is a small neighborhood in the New York City borough of Queens, on the eastern end of the Rockaway Peninsula. Edgemere is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Queens, on the Rockaway Peninsula. Arverne is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Queens, on the Rockaway Peninsula. The neighborhood is part of Queens Community Board 14. The Queens Community Board 14 is a local government in the New York City borough of Queens, encompassing the neighborhoods of Breezy Point 
Far Rockaway's character is that of an inner-city, oceanfront commuter town, in some ways having more in common with Asbury Park, New Jersey than with New York City. The inner city is the central area of a major city or metropolis A commuter town is an urban community that is primarily residential from which most of the Workforce commute out to earn their livelihood New Jersey ( is a state in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern regions of the United States. Far Rockaway is one of the most distant New York neighborhoods from Manhattan, the cultural and financial center of New York City. Manhattan Island, in New York Harbor, is much the largest part of the Borough of Manhattan, one of the Five Boroughs which form the City of New York Formerly populated by Eastern European Jewish and Irish immigrants, it now has a large African American population, though the westernmost portion still remains mostly Irish. PLEASE TAKE NOTE************ Ireland (pronounced /ˈaɾlənd/ Éire) is the third largest island in Europe, and the twentieth-largest island in the world African Americans or Black Americans are citizens or residents of the United States who have origins in any of the black populations of Africa Downtown Far Rockaway has a moderately large Central American population. There is also a large Orthodox Jewish population in the easternmost part of Far Rockaway, which borders Inwood and Lawrence, and other areas in the densely-Jewish Five Towns area across the Nassau County border. Orthodox Judaism is the formulation of Judaism that adheres to a relatively strict interpretation and application of the laws and ethics first canonized This article is about the community of Inwood in Nassau County Lawrence is a village in Nassau County, New York in the USA. As of the United States 2000 Census, the village population was 6522 The Five Towns also refers to Stoke-on-Trent in Arnold Bennett 's novels There is also a Town of Nassau in Rensselaer County. Nassau County is a suburban county in the New York Metropolitan The area is home to a large and growing number of Haredi Jews with a large network of yeshivas and Jewish communal needs. Haredi or Chareidi Judaism is the most theologically conservative form of Orthodox Judaism. Yeshiva or yeshivah (jəʃi'və ( Hebrew: ישיבה "sitting (n
Recently, the area is being renewed with new beach houses and waterfront development. There has been a steady attempt at cleaning up the area, and along with its rough appearance, the crime rate is relatively high.
A subway viaduct on a background of Far Rockaway residential buildings
Far Rockaway is one of two New York City neighborhoods whose subway terminus is within realistic walking distance of the city limits (the Wakefield section of the Bronx is the other). Wakefield is a low-income working-class section of the northern borough of The Bronx in New York City, bounded by the New York city line with Westchester This fact led to an interesting scenario in 1985, when New York City banned the sale of spray-paint cans to persons under the age of 18, in an effort to stem the tide of graffiti in the city; teenagers would travel across the city line into either Nassau County (after getting off the subway at the last stop in Far Rockaway) or Westchester County (from the last stop in Wakefield) to purchase spray paint there (Nassau County has since followed suit and prohibited spray-paint sales to minors, but Westchester County has not). Graffiti (singular graffito; the plural is used as a Mass noun) is the name for images or lettering scratched scrawled painted or marked in any manner on property Westchester County is a primarily Suburban county located in the U
Rockaway Beach is sometimes known as the "Irish Riviera. Rockaway Beach is a neighborhood on the Rockaway Peninsula in the New York City borough of Queens. Irish Riviera can refer to several United States communities settled by Irish-Americans including Spring Lake New Jersey Rockaway "
The typical structure of NYC MTA elevated subway rail line in Far Rockaway
Access to Manhattan is available via the IND Rockaway Line (A) subway service, which has a terminal at Mott Avenue. Manhattan Island, in New York Harbor, is much the largest part of the Borough of Manhattan, one of the Five Boroughs which form the City of New York The IND Rockaway Line is a Rapid transit line of the IND Division of the New York City Subway. The A Eighth Avenue Express is a Rapid transit service of the New York City Subway. Far Rockaway&ndashMott Avenue is a station on the New York City Subway 's IND Rockaway Line. This subway stretch is completely elevated throughout the Rockaway Peninsula. However, the Rockaway section of the New York City subway system has proved to be unreliable and prone to power outages and inconvenience to its passengers since it is so far from the center of New York City. A July 2006 incident left passengers stuck for hours in the middle of a heat wave, aggravated by the inaccessibility of the tracks at the location of the breakdown.  The Long Island Power Authority maintains the electrical system for the Rockaways, not Consolidated Edison. The Long Island Power Authority or LIPA "lie-pah", a municipal subdivision of the State of New York, was created under the Long Island Power Act of 1985 to acquire Consolidated Edison Inc is one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the United States with approximately $13 billion in annual revenues and $30 billion in assets
The Far Rockaway station is the terminus for the Long Island Rail Road's Far Rockaway Branch, providing full service in both directions to Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan and Flatbush Avenue / Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn. Far Rockaway is the terminus of the Long Island Rail Road 's Far Rockaway Branch in the Far Rockaway neighborhood of Queens, The Far Rockaway Branch is an electrified Rail line and service owned and operated by the Long Island Rail Road in the U Pennsylvania Station (commonly known as “Penn Station”) is the major intercity rail station and a major Commuter rail hub in New York City See also Manhattan Midtown Manhattan, or simply Midtown, is an area of Manhattan, New York City home to world-famous commercial Flatbush Avenue, also called the Atlantic Terminal, is the westernmost stop on the Long Island Rail Road 's Atlantic Branch at Flatbush Avenue Brooklyn (named after the Dutch town Breukelen) is one of the five boroughs of New York City. The line is unique in that trains leave New York City and make local stops in Nassau County before crossing back into Queens and terminating at Far Rockaway. Passengers can "change at Jamaica" between the various destinations and other LIRR lines. Jamaica Station (often referred to simply as Jamaica) is the major hub and headquarters of the Long Island Rail Road, and is located in Jamaica Queens During rush hour, express service bypasses Jamaica station.
Residents of Far Rockaway thus have two options for access to Manhattan, an uncommon situation that provides a backup for commuters in the event of service disruptions on any one system.
The LIRR Far Rockaway Branch had originally been part of a loop that travelled along the existing route, continuing through the Rockaway Peninsula and heading on a trestle across Jamaica Bay through Queens where it reconnected with other branches. See also Geography and environment of New York City Jamaica Bay is a Lagoon that lies in the shadow of New York City 's skyscrapers and is adjacent Frequent fires and maintenance problems led the LIRR to abandon the Queens portion of the route, which was acquired by the city to become the IND Rockaway Line, with service provided by the A train. 
The neighborhood, like all of New York City, is served by the New York City Department of Education. The New York City Department of Education ( NYCDOE) is the branch of municipal government in New York City that manages the city's public school system Far Rockaway residents are zoned to several different elementary schools:
Far Rockaway residents are zoned to I.S. 53 Brian Piccolo.
All New York City residents who wish to attend a public high school must apply to high schools. Far Rockaway High School is in Far Rockaway and Beach Channel High School is near Far Rockaway. Far Rockaway High School, a Public high school in the Public school system of New York City, is located on Bay 25 Street in Far Rockaway in the Beach Channel High School (BCHS (also known as High School 410 or H
Stella Maris High School, an all-girls Catholic high school, is located adjacent to the beach. Stella Maris High School is an all-girls private, Roman Catholic High school on the Rockaway Peninsula in Queens, New York
- Richard Bey - talk show host
- Baruch Samuel Blumberg - 1942 graduate of Far Rockaway High School; won the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1976. Richard Bey (born July 22, 1951) of Turkish descent was popular in the 1990s as host of The Richard Bey Show, a daytime Talk Baruch Samuel Blumberg (born July 28, 1925) is an American scientist and recipient of the 1976 
- Father MC - Successful rap hip-hop artist back in the 1990s. Father MC (born Timothy Brown was a popular African American Rapper for the Uptown Records label in the early 1990s Signed with the very popular Uptown Records that had artists like Mary J. Blige, Guy, Jodeci, and Heavy D. Uptown Records was an American Record label, founded by Andre Harrell in the late-1980s Mary Jane Blige (surname pronounced /blaɪʒ/) (born January 11, 1971) is an American Singer-songwriter, Rapper Jodeci is an American Musical group whose repertoire includes R&B, Soul music, and New jack swing. Heavy D & the Boyz was an American hip hop group led by Heavy D.
- Joyce Brothers - a leading family psychologist and advice columnist (1928-)
- Richard Feynman - physicist and Nobel Prize laureate (1918–1988). Joyce Brothers (born September 20, 1925) is an American Psychologist and advice columnist publishing a daily syndicated newspaper column since 1960 Mental health professional A psychologist is a practitioner of Psychology, the systematic investigation of the mind including Behavior, Cognition, Richard Phillips Feynman (ˈfaɪnmən May 11 1918 – February 15 1988 was an American Physicist known for the Path integral formulation of quantum The Nobel Prize (Nobelpriset (Nobelprisen is a Swedish prize established in the 1895 will of Swedish chemist Alfred Nobel; it was first awarded in Peace, Literature 
- Carl Icahn - businessman. Carl Celian Icahn (born February 16, 1936) is an American Billionaire Financier, Corporate raider and Private equity 
- Stubby Kaye (Bernard Sholm Kotzin) - (1918–1997) - comic actor
- Nancy Lieberman - (1958-) Women's basketball pioneer. Stubby Kaye ( November 11, 1918 &ndash December 14, 1997) was an American comic actor Nancy Elizabeth Lieberman (born July 1, 1958, in Brooklyn, New York) nicknamed "Lady Magic" is a professional Basketball 
- Phil Ochs - (1940-1976) folk-protest singer (resided in the town for a period during childhood)
- Robyn Ochs - (1958-) Bisexual and marriage equality activist
- Rammellzee - (1960-) Influential early graffiti artist, rap/hip-hop artist, and sculptor. Philip David Ochs ( December 19 1940 – April 9 1976) was a U Robyn Ochs (1958- has been a American bisexual rights activist since 1983 when she was involved in the founding of the Boston Bisexual Network which was followed Rammellzee (or RAMMΣLLZΣΣ, pronounced "Ram Ell Zee" born 1960 in Far Rockaway, Queens, New York) is a Graffiti writer Contemporary of Jean-Michel Basquiat. Jean-Michel Basquiat ( December 22 1960 - August 12, 1988) was an American Artist. 
- Burton Richter - 1948 graduate of Far Rockaway High School; won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1976. Burton Richter (born March 22 1931) is a Nobel Prize -winning American physicist 
- Michael Scanlan - Catholic priest, author, and Chancellor of the Franciscan University of Steubenville (1931-). Father Michael Scanlan (b December 1, 1931) is a Catholic Priest, author and Chancellor of the Franciscan University of Steubenville The ministerial orders of the Catholic Church includes both the orders of bishops and presbyters, which in Latin is sacerdos. Franciscan University of Steubenville is a Catholic institution located in Steubenville Ohio, 40 miles west of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. 
- MC Serch (as Michael Berrin, 1967-), former member of the hip hop group 3rd Bass. MC Serch (born Michael Berrin on May 6, 1967) is an American hip hop MC and former member of 3rd Bass. 3rd Bass was an American Hip-hop group that rose to fame in the late 1980s and early 1990s and was notable for being one of the first successful Interracial 
- Raymond Smullyan - (1919-) mathematician. Raymond Merrill Smullyan (born 1919 is an American Mathematician, Logician, Philosopher, and magician. 
- Steve Stevens - Grammy Award winning guitarist for UK rocker Billy Idol. Steve Stevens (born as Steven Schneider on May 5, 1959, in Brooklyn, New York) is an American guitarist and songwriter Billy Idol (born William Michael Albert Broad, 30 November 1955, Stanmore, Middlesex) is an English rock
- Herbert Sturhahn, football player elected to the College Football Hall of Fame. Herbert Sturhahn (born July 29, 1902) was an American football player The College Football Hall of Fame, located in South Bend Indiana, USA is a hall of fame and museum devoted to College football. 
- Danny Sullivan - race car driver
- ^ Queens Community Boards, New York City. Daniel John "Danny" Sullivan III (Born March 9, 1950 in Louisville Kentucky) is a former racing driver from the United States. The City of New York Accessed September 3, 2007. Events 36 BC - In the Battle of Naulochus, Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, Admiral of Octavian, defeats Sextus Pompeius Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century.
- ^ Trouble on the A Line: Train is stuck east of the Cross Bay Bridge, WABC-TV, July 17, 2006
- ^ IND Rockaway Branch/Jamaica Bay Crossing, accessed June 14, 2006. WABC-TV, channel 7 is the flagship station of the Walt Disney Company -owned American Broadcasting Company, located in New York City. Events 180 - Twelve inhabitants of Scillium in North Africa are executed for being Christians Year 2006 ( MMVI) was a Common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. Events 1276 - While taking exile in Fuzhou in southern China, away from the advancing Mongol invaders, the remnants of the Year 2006 ( MMVI) was a Common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar.
- ^ a b c "The Best Queens Celebrities 2002", Queens Tribune, accessed May 14, 2007. Events 1264 - Battle of Lewes: Henry III of England is captured in France making Simon de Montfort the Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century.
- ^ Dr. Joyce Brothers: Television and Radio Writer, Producer, Host, Museum of Television & Radio, Accessed May 14, 2007. The Paley Center for Media, formerly The Museum of Television & Radio ( MT&R) and The Museum of Broadcasting, founded in 1975 by William S Events 1264 - Battle of Lewes: Henry III of England is captured in France making Simon de Montfort the Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. "The daughter of lawyers, Joyce Diane Bauer was born in Manhattan and raised in Far Rockaway, Queens. "
- ^ Nancy Lieberman player profile, Old Dominion University, accessed May 14, 2007. Old Dominion University (ODU is a large public Research university located in historic Norfolk Virginia. Events 1264 - Battle of Lewes: Henry III of England is captured in France making Simon de Montfort the Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. "On May 6, 2000, the Far Rockaway, NY native earned her degree from Old Dominion University in interdisciplinary studies. "
- ^ "Night Train: The Power That Man Made", New York Folklore, Vol. XVII, Nos. 1-2, 1991. Accessed May 18, 2007. Events 1152 - Henry II of England marries Eleanor of Aquitaine. Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. "Growing up in Far Rockaway, Queens, RAMMELLZEE recalls the hours he spent riding and writing on trains"
- ^ "IN SEARCH OF THE Z PARTICLE", The New York Times, October 26, 1986. Events 740 - An Earthquake strikes Constantinople, causing much damage and death Year 1986 ( MCMLXXXVI) was a Common year starting on Wednesday (link displays 1986 Gregorian calendar) Accessed October 2, 2007. Events 1187 - Siege of Jerusalem: Saladin captures Jerusalem after 88 years of Crusader rule Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. "BURTON RICHTER was born in Brooklyn 55 years ago, but grew up in Far Rockaway, Queens. "
- ^ "TOP 100 CATHOLICS OF THE CENTURY: 23. Father Michael Scanlan, TOR", Daily Catholic, November 11, 1999. Events 308 - The Congress of Carnuntum: Attempting to keep peace within the Roman Empire, the leaders of the Tetrarchy declare Year 1999 ( MCMXCIX) was a Common year starting on Friday (link will display full 1999 Gregorian calendar) Accessed May 14, 2007. Events 1264 - Battle of Lewes: Henry III of England is captured in France making Simon de Montfort the Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. "Father Mike was born in Far Rockaway, New York on December 1, 1931 to Vincent M. Scanlan and Marjorie O'Keefe Scanlan. "
- ^ Jackson, Brian Keith. "Ice, Ice Babies: Reality-TV show tries to create the next Eminem.", New York (magazine), December 31, 2006. New York is a weekly magazine concerned with the life culture politics and style of New York City. Events 406 – Vandals, Alans and Suebians cross the Rhine, beginning an invasion of Gallia. Year 2006 ( MMVI) was a Common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. Accessed November 23, 2007. Events 800 - Charlemagne arrives at Rome to investigate the alleged crimes of Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. "I grew up in Far Rockaway, and you’d always see shoes on the line. "
- ^ Raymond M Smullyan, University of St Andrews School of Mathematical and Computational Sciences. The University of St Andrews is the oldest University in Scotland and third oldest in the English-speaking world, having been founded between Accessed June 11, 2007. Events 1184 BC - Trojan War: Troy is sacked and burned according to the calculations of Eratosthenes. Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. "Raymond Smullyan, known as Ray, was brought up in Far Rockaway in New York City. "
- ^ Herbert "Cobbles" Sturhahn, College Football Hall of Fame. The College Football Hall of Fame, located in South Bend Indiana, USA is a hall of fame and museum devoted to College football. Accessed August 13, 2007. Events 3114 BC - According to the Lounsbury correlation the start of the Maya calendar. Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century.
- Maps and aerial photos
- Hybrid satellite image/street map from WikiMapia
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |