An error message is a message displayed when an unexpected condition occurs, usually on a computer or other device. A computer is a Machine that manipulates data according to a list of instructions. Error messages are often displayed using dialog boxes. In Graphical user interfaces a dialog (or dialogue) box is a special window, used in user interfaces to display Information to the Error messages are used when user intervention is required, indicate that a desired operation has failed, or give very important warnings such as being out of hard disk space. A hard disk drive ( HDD) commonly referred to as a hard drive, hard disk, or fixed disk drive, is a Non-volatile storage device Error messages are pervasive throughout computing, and are part of every operating system, or computer hardware device. An operating system (commonly abbreviated OS and O/S) is the software component of a Computer system that is responsible for the management and coordination Typical PC hardware A typical Personal computer consists of a case or chassis in a tower shape (desktop and the following parts Motherboard Proper design of error messages is an important topic in usability and other fields of human-computer interaction. Human–computer interaction or HCI is the study of interaction between people ( users and Computers It is often regarded as the intersection of
Here are some common computer-related error messages that occur in almost all programs and their causes:
- "Out of memory" - occurs when you have run out of memory or try to load a file too large to store in RAM. Out of memory (OOM is an undesired state of computer operation where no additional memory can be allocated for use by programs or the operating system The fix is to close some programs or get more memory.
- "Low Disk Space" - occurs when the hard drive is full. When not enough memory is present, swap file is used and is located on the hard drive. Virtual memory is a Computer system technique which gives an application program the impression that it has contiguous working memory while in fact it may be physically To fix this, close some programs (to free swap file usage) and delete some files, normally temporary files or get a bigger hard drive, or either back up files onto disk.
- Invalid page fault errors
- General protection fault errors
- The blue screen of death
- "File not found" - the file you were trying to open cannot be found. In Computer storage technology a page is a fixed-length block of memory that is used as a unit of transfer between Physical memory and external storage like a A General Protection Fault ( GPF) in the Intel X86 and AMD X86-64 architectures and other unrelated architectures is a The Blue Screen of Death (also known as a stop error, BSoD, bluescreen, or Blue Screen of Doom) is an Error screen displayed The 404 or Not Found Error message is an HTTP standard response code indicating that the client was able to communicate with the server The file may have been damaged, moved, deleted, or a bug causes it
- "The device is not ready" - most often occurs when you have no floppy disk in the floppy disk drive and try to perform tasks involving the floppy disk or from a bad disk
Famous error messages
- Abort, Retry, Fail?
- Windows 95 Windows has detected an undetectable error. A glitch is a short-lived Fault in a system The term is particularly common in the Computing and Electronics industries and in Circuit bending A floppy disk is an increasingly Obsolete data storage medium that is composed of a disk of thin flexible ("floppy" Magnetic storage medium encased Abort Retry Fail? is a catch-all Error message displayed by newer versions of MS-DOS when it is unable to read necessary Data from media Windows 95 is a consumer-oriented Graphical user interface -based Operating system.
- Bad command or file name
- PC LOAD LETTER
- Lp0 on fire
- The operation completed successfully - Apache Server
- Error 1 - Operation Complete
Error message linguistics
The amount of memory available to programs has historically increased exponentially according to Moore's Law; contrapositively, it decreases exponentially into the past. "Bad command or file name" is a common Error message in Microsoft 's MS-DOS and some other operating systems PC LOAD LETTER is a technology Meme, originally a printer error message which has grown into popular culture as a reference to a confusing or inappropriate Error lp0 on fire (aka Printer on Fire) is a semi-obsolete error message still generated on some Unix/Linux operating systems in response to certain types of printer errors Computer programs (also software programs, or just programs) are instructions for a Computer. Moore's law describes an important trend in the History of computer hardware.
Due to such pressures, past programmers were innately sensitive to memory consumption, and such sensitivities extended to error messages. Extraneous words were shunned, no matter their grammatical necessity. "File not found" could have read "The file could not be found," but such a statement would have been twice as memory-expensive.
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
- (computing) A message displayed when an unexpected condition occurs, usually on a computer or device.
network: | |