taking on cargo in Brest
. Definition There are various ways to define the term bulk carrier Brest (bʁɛst in French, in Breton) is a city in the Finistère department in Bretagne in northwestern France.
Bulk cargo is commodity cargo that is transported unpackaged in large quantities. A commodity is anything for which there is demand but which is supplied without qualitative differentiation across a market Cargo (or freight) refers to goods or produce transported generally for Commercial gain by ship, aircraft, train, Packaging is the science art and technology of enclosing or protecting products for distribution storage sale and use These cargos are usually dropped or poured, with a spout or shovel bucket, as a liquid or solid, into a bulk carrier's hold, railroad car, or tanker truck/trailer/semi-trailer body. Definition There are various ways to define the term bulk carrier A railroad car or railway carriage is a Vehicle on a rail transport system (railroad or railway that is used for the carrying of Cargo or A tank truck ( United States usage or tanker lorry ( United Kingdom usage is a Motor vehicle designed to carry liquefied loads, A Trailer is generally an unpowered vehicle pulled by a powered vehicle In American English a semi-trailer is a trailer without a front axle Bulk cargos are classified as liquid or dry. Liquid is one of the principal States of matter. A liquid is a Fluid that has the particles loose and can freely form a distinct surface at the boundaries of A solid' object is in the States of matter characterized by resistance to Deformation and changes of Volume.
The largest bulk carrier cargo ship in the world is the iron ore carrier Berge Stahl, weighing a massive 364,768 metric tons of deadweight (DWT). Definition There are various ways to define the term bulk carrier A ship /ʃɪp/ is a large vessel that floats on water Ships are generally distinguished from Boats based on size Iron ores are rocks and Minerals from which Metallic Iron can be economically extracted The MS Berge Stahl is the largest Bulk carrier Ship in the world Deadweight tonnage (also known as deadweight and variously abbreviated as DWT, D
The busiest bulk cargo port in the world is the New Orleans-area based Port of South Louisiana. New Orleans (nʲuːˈɔrliənz nʲuːˈɔrlənz French: La Nouvelle-Orléans) is a major United States port city and the largest city in Louisiana The Port of South Louisiana is the largest volume shipping Port in the Western Hemisphere and 9th largest in the world
Dry bulk cargos
This heap of iron ore pellets will be used in steel
production. Steel is an Alloy consisting mostly of Iron, with a Carbon content between 0
- grain (wheat, maize, rice, barley, oats, rye, sorghum, soybeans, etc. Wheat ( Triticum spp is a worldwide cultivated grass from the Levant area of the Middle East. Maize (ˈmeɪz ( Zea mays L. ssp mays) known as corn in some countries is a cereal grain domesticated in Mesoamerica Rice is a Cereal foodstuff which forms an important part of the diet of many people worldwide and as such it is a staple food for many Barley ( Hordeum vulgare) is an annual Cereal Grain, which serves as a major animal Feed crop, with smaller amounts used for Oats redirects here It may mean either the common cereal oat discussed here or any cultivated or wild species of the Genus Avena. Rye ( Secale cereale) is a grass grown extensively as a grain and forage crop Sorghum is a genus of numerous species of grasses, some of which are raised for grain and many of which are used as Fodder plants either cultivated or as part )
- iron ore (ferrous & non-ferrous ores, ferroalloys, pig iron, scrap metal, etc. Iron ores are rocks and Minerals from which Metallic Iron can be economically extracted Ferrous, in the chemical science realm indicates a bivalent iron compound (+2 oxidation state (as opposed to Ferric, which indicates a trivalent iron compound (+3 oxidation An ore is a volume of rock containing components or Minerals in a mode of occurrence that renders it valuable for mining Ferroalloy refers to various Alloys of Iron with a high proportion of one or more other element, Manganese or Silicon for example Pig iron is the intermediate product of Smelting Iron ore with coke, usually with Limestone as a flux Scrap is a term used to describe Recyclable materials left over from every manner of product consumption such as parts of vehicles building supplies and surplus materials )
- wood chips
- chemicals (fertilizer, plastic granules & pellets, resin powder, synthetic fiber, etc. Bauxite is the most important Aluminium Ore. It consists largely of the minerals Gibbsite Al(OH3 Boehmite γ-AlO(OH and Wood is hard fibrous lignified structural tissue produced as secondary Xylem in the stems of Woody plants notably trees but also shrubs In the most general sense of the word a cement is a binder a substance which sets and hardens independently and can bind other materials together A chemical substance is a Material with a definite chemical composition. Fertilizers ( also spelt fertiliser are chemical compounds given to Plants to promote growth they are usually applied either through the soil for uptake by plant Plastic is the general common term for a wide range of synthetic or semisynthetic organic solid materials suitable for the manufacture of industrial products Resin, not to be confused with Rosin, is a Hydrocarbon Secretion of many Plants particularly coniferous trees. Synthetic fibers are the result of extensive research by Scientists to improve upon naturally occurring Animal and plant )
- dry edibles (for animals or humans: alfalfa pellets, citrus pellets, livestock feed, flour, peanuts, raw or refined sugar, seeds, starches, etc. Food is any substance usually composed primarily of Carbohydrates Fats water and/or Proteins that can be eaten or drunk by an Human beings, humans or man (Origin 1590–1600 L homō man OL hemō the earthly one (see Humus Alfalfa ( Medicago sativa) is a flowering plant in the pea family Fabaceae cultivated as an important forage crop Citrus is a common term and Genus of Flowering plants in the family Rutaceae, originating in tropical and subtropical southeast regions of Livestock is the term used to refer (singularly or plurally to a Domesticated Animal intentionally reared in an agricultural setting to produce such as Food In Agriculture, fodder or animal feed is any Foodstuff that is used specifically to feed Domesticated Livestock, such as Flour is a powder made of Cereal grains It is the key ingredient of Bread, which is a staple food in many countries and therefore the availability The peanut, or Groundnut ( Arachis hypogaea) is a species in the Legume family Fabaceae native to South America, Mexico Refining (also called affining) is the process of Purification of a substance. Sugar is a class of edible Crystalline substances mainly Sucrose, Lactose, and Fructose. A seed (in some plants referred to as a kernel) is a small embryonic Plant enclosed in a covering called the seed coat usually with some stored Starch, CAS # 9005-25-8 Chemical formula (C6H10O5n is a Polysaccharide )
- bulk mine (sand & gravel, copper, iron, (ores in pellet form) , salt, etc. Mining is the extraction of valuable Minerals or other geological materials from the earth usually (but not always from an Ore body Sand is a naturally occurring Granular material composed of finely divided rock and Mineral particles Gravel is rock that is of a specific Particle size range In Geology, gravel is any loose rock that is larger than two millimeters (2mm Copper (ˈkɒpɚ is a Chemical element with the symbol Cu (cuprum and Atomic number 29 Iron (ˈаɪɚn is a Chemical element with the symbol Fe (ferrum and Atomic number 26 An ore is a volume of rock containing components or Minerals in a mode of occurrence that renders it valuable for mining Pelletizing is the process of compressed or molding of product into the shape of a Pellet. Salt is a Dietary mineral composed primarily of Sodium chloride that is essential for Animal life but toxic to most land plants )
Liquid bulk cargos
- liquefied natural gas (LNG)
- liquid edibles (vegetable oil, cooking oil, fruit juices, etc. Petroleum ( L petroleum, from Greek πετρέλαιον, lit Not to be confused with Natural Gas Liquids (NGL Liquefied natural gas or LNG is Natural gas (primarily Methane, CH4 A chemical substance is a Material with a definite chemical composition. Food is any substance usually composed primarily of Carbohydrates Fats water and/or Proteins that can be eaten or drunk by an Cooking oil is purified Fat of Plant or Animal origin which is liquid at room temperature The term fruit has different meanings dependent on context and the term is not synonymous in Food preparation and Biology. JUICE is a widely used non-commercial Software package for editing and analysing phytosociological data )
Some bulk shipping companies
DME 49328, a covered hopper owned and operated by the Dakota, Minnesota and Eastern Railroad
. Dakota Minnesota and Eastern Railroad ( DM&E) is a Class II railroad operating across South Dakota and southern Minnesota in the northern plains
- Trans Ocean Distribution Homepage
- Aasen Shipping & Aasen Chartering (Norway) Homepage
- ALL-Transport A/S (Norway) Homepage
- American Steamship Company (United States) Homepage
- Canada Steamship Lines (Canada)
- Commercial Trading & Discount (Greece)
- Czech Ocean Shipping (Czech Republic)
- Daeyang Shipping (China - Greece - Japan)
- Gearbulk Holding Limited (Norway - Japan)
- M/S Fjordbulk (Norway)
- NOL Services (Singapore)
- OAM Coal Trade and Bulk Shipping (Germany)
- Österströms Rederi AB (Sweden)
- SMC Marine Services (Singapore)
- Samsun Logix (South Korea)
- The Skaarup Group (United States) Homepage
- Zhejiang Ocean Shipping Company (China)
- Losinjska Plovidba brodarstvo (Croatia) 
Large ports specializing in bulk cargo
- George, William (2005). Canada Steamship Lines ( CSL) is a Canadian Shipping company with headquarters in Montreal Quebec. Gearbulk Holding Limited is an international shipping company headquartered in Hamilton, Bermuda. The Port of South Louisiana is the largest volume shipping Port in the Western Hemisphere and 9th largest in the world Rotterdam (pronounced) is the 2nd-largest City by population in the Netherlands, located in the province of The world's busiest Port is contested by several ports around the world A Flexible Intermediate Bulk Container, FIBC, big bag, bulk bag, or super sack is a standardized container in large dimensions Stability and Trim for the Ship's Officer. Centreville, MD: Cornell Maritime Press. ISBN 978-0-87033-564-8.
- Hayler, William B. ; Keever, John M. (2003). American Merchant Seaman's Manual. Cornell Maritime Pr. ISBN 0-87033-549-9.
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) (2006). The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development ( UNCTAD) was established in 1964 as a permanent intergovernmental body Review of Maritime Transport, 2006. New York and Geneva: United Nations.
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) (2007). The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development ( UNCTAD) was established in 1964 as a permanent intergovernmental body Review of Maritime Transport, 2007. New York and Geneva: United Nations.
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
- Any cargo, either liquid or dry, that is shipped in volume without being packed into containers
network: | |