In architecture, construction, engineering and real estate development the word building may refer to one of the following:
- Any man-made structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or continuous occupancy, or
- An act of construction. The Eisenhower Executive Office Building (EEOB was formerly known as the Old Executive Office Building (OEOB and originally was built as the State War and Navy Building Washington DC ( formally the District of Columbia and commonly referred to as Washington, the District, or simply D Hong Kong ( officially the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, is a territory located on China 's south coast on the Pearl River Delta, and borders Talk People's Republic of China) PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA ARTICLE GUIDELINES The term architecture (from Greek αρχιτεκτονικήarchitektoniki) can be used to mean a process a profession or documentation In the fields of Architecture and Civil engineering, construction is a process that consists of the Building or assembling of Infrastructure Engineering is the Discipline and Profession of applying technical and scientific Knowledge and Occupancy is a defined Legal term in Building Construction and Building codes It refers to the use or intended use of a building or part thereof In the fields of Architecture and Civil engineering, construction is a process that consists of the Building or assembling of Infrastructure
To differentiate buildings and other structures that are not intended for continuous human occupancy, the latter are called non-building structures. Occupancy is a defined Legal term in Building Construction and Building codes It refers to the use or intended use of a building or part thereof Nonbuilding structures, also referred to simply as structures, are those not designed for continuous human Occupancy. Structural height in technical usage is the height to the highest architectural detail on building from street-level. Depending on how they are classified, spires and masts may or may not be included in this height. Spires and masts used as antennas are not generally included.
Buildings serve several needs of society. Along with access to food and drinking water, the need for places that are protected from the outdoors and where one can comfortably live, work, eat, sleep, procreate or engage in leisurely activities has always been a top priority for humans. Wilderness is generally defined as a Natural environment on Earth that has not been significantly modified by Human activity Reproduction is the Biological process by which new individual Organisms are produced Leisure or free time, is a period of Time spent out of work and essential domestic Activity. Human beings, humans or man (Origin 1590–1600 L homō man OL hemō the earthly one (see Humus A building as a shelter represents a physical division of the human habitat into the inside (a place of comfort and safety) and the outside (a place that at times may be harsh and harmful). The term habitat comes from Ecology, and includes many interrelated features especially the immediate physical environment, the Urban environment or the Humans have a remarkable drive to reflect on their lives and express themselves through art. Art refers to a diverse range of Human activities creations and expressions that are appealing to the Senses or Emotions of a human individual Ever since the first cave paintings, buildings have become objects of artistic expression. Cave paintings are Paintings on Cave walls and ceilings and the term is used especially for those dating to Prehistoric times In recent years, interest in sustainable planning and building practices has increased in the U. Sustainability, in a general sense is the capacity to maintain a certain process or state indefinitely S.
Building in Belo Horizonte
. Belo Horizonte ( Portuguese for "beautiful horizon", (bɛloɾiˈzõtʃi) is the capital of Minas Gerais state located in the |utc_offset = -2 to -4 |time_zone_DST = BRST |utc_offset_DST = -2 to -5 |cctld
The first shelter on Earth constructed by a relatively close ancestor to humans is believed to be built 500,000 years ago by an ancient ancestor of humans, Homo erectus. Human beings, humans or man (Origin 1590–1600 L homō man OL hemō the earthly one (see Humus Homo erectus ( Latin: "upright man" is an extinct species of the genus Homo, believed to have been the first hominin 
Over centuries, homes were technologically advancing. Some were simply inhabited caves, while others were made of dried mud or stone. In these times, there were little furnishings in these homes, besides perhaps a family altar or a table for eating.
Before the invention of the lift, few buildings were higher than five stories. An elevator or lift is a Transport device used to move people or goods vertically from one floor to another In the New World, the Anasazi built three- and four-story towers in the 12th and 13th centuries AD. "Anasazi" directs here For the X-Files episode see Anasazi (The X-Files.
When Elisha Otis invented the passenger elevator, buildings could be built much higher. Elisha Graves Otis ( August 3 1811 &mdash April 8 1861) son of Stephen Otis Jr Today, the Sears Tower has 108 stories. The Sears Tower, a Skyscraper in Chicago, Illinois, has been the tallest building in North America since 1973
Building under construction
Residential buildings are called houses/homes. Here are some types of Buildings See also Architecture and Forms in architecture. House generally refers to a Shelter or Building that is a Dwelling or place for Habitation by Human beings. A home is a place of Residence or Refuge. It is usually a place where an individual or a family can rest in and be able to store Personal property. Single family and multi-family dwellings are typically built as shelter and living space. These building types may range from one-room wood-framed, masonry, or adobe dwellings to multi-million dollar high-rise buildings able to house thousands of people. Adobe bricks are a Natural building material made from Sand, Clay, water and some kind of fibrous or Organic material ( Sticks, The definition of a low-rise vs. a high-rise residential building is being debated, but generally three stories or less is considered low-rise.
A multi-story building (American English, Multi-storey Building British English) is a building that has multiple floors (stories (storeys in British)) above ground in the building. Phonology North American English regional phonology In many ways compared to English English, North American English is conservative in its Phonology. British English or UK English ( BrE, BE, en-GB) is the broad term used to distinguish the forms of the English language used in the A storey (spelled story in the USA only floor, deck or level is the level of a Building above (or below the Ground.
Multi-story buildings aim to increase the area of the building without increasing the area of the land the building is built on, hence saving land and, in most cases, money (depending on material used and land prices in the area, of course).
The practice of designing, constructing, and operating buildings is normally a collective effort of different groups of professionals and trades. This article is about people called professionals For the Movie, see The Professional or Leon. This article is about the skilled manual worker meaning of the term for other uses see Tradesperson (disambiguation A tradesman is a skilled manual worker Depending on the size, complexity, and purpose of a particular building project, the project team may include:
- A real estate developer who secures funding for the project;
- One or more financial institutions or other investors that provide the funding
- Local planning and code authorities
- A Surveyor who performs an ALTA/ACSM and construction surveys throughout the project;
- Construction managers who coordinate the effort of different groups of project participants;
- Licensed architects and engineers who provide building design and prepare construction documents;
- Landscape architects;
- Interior designers;
- Other consultants;
- Contractors who provide construction services and install building systems such as climate control, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, security and telecommunications;
- Marketing or leasing agents;
- Facility managers who are responsible for operating the building. Funding or financing is to provide capital (funds which means money for a project a person a business or any other private or public institutions A quantity surveyor (QS or cost engineer is a professional person working within the Construction industry. Construction Management refers either to the study and practice of the managerial and technological aspects of the Construction industry (including construction construction An architect is a licensed individual who leads a design team in the Planning and Design of buildings and participates in oversight of Building Construction Architectural engineering, also known as Building Engineering, is the application of Engineering principles and Technology to Building Design A document (noun is a bounded physical representation of body of Information designed with the capacity (and usually intent to Communicate. A landscape architect is a person involved in the planning design and sometimes oversight of an exterior landscape or space Interior design is a practice concerned with anything that is found inside a space - walls windows doors finishes textures light furnishings and furniture A general contractor is a group or individual that Contracts with another organization or individual (the owner for the Construction or Renovation In the fields of Architecture and Civil engineering, construction is a process that consists of the Building or assembling of Infrastructure HVAC (pronounced either "H-V-A-C" or occasionally " H-vak " is an Initialism or Acronym that stands for " Heating An electrician is a Tradesman specializing in electrical wiring of buildings and related equipment Plumbing, from the Latin plumbum for Lead, is the skilled trade of working with pipes, tubing and Plumbing fixtures for Fire protection is the study and practice of mitigating the unwanted effects of Fires ref>NFPA Fire Protection Handbook pg Security is the condition of being protected against danger loss and criminals Leasing is a process by which a firm can obtain the use of a certain fixed assets for which it must pay a series of contractual periodic tax deductable payments In Business, facility management (or facilities management is the Management of building estates which encompasses both building fabric and services
Regardless of their size or intended use, all buildings in the US must comply with zoning ordinances, building codes and other regulations such as fire codes, life safety codes and related standards. Zoning is a term used in Urban planning for a system of land-use Regulation in various parts of the world including North America the United Kingdom A building code, or building control, is a set of rules that specify the minimum acceptable level of safety for constructed objects such as Buildings and Nonbuilding Fire safety refers to precautions that are taken to prevent or reduce the likelihood of a Fire that may result in death injury or property damage alert those in a structure Administered copyrighted and published by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA the Life Safety Code, known as NFPA 101 is the registered trademark of an American
Vehicles—such as trailers, caravans, ships and passenger aircraft—are treated as "buildings" for life safety purposes. A Trailer is generally an unpowered vehicle pulled by a powered vehicle A travel trailer or caravan is a trailer towed behind a road Vehicle to provide a place to sleep which is more comfortable and protected than a A ship /ʃɪp/ is a large vessel that floats on water Ships are generally distinguished from Boats based on size
Building ownership and funding
Planning and design
Systems for transport of people within buildings:
Systems for transport of people between interconnected buildings:
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
- ^ World's oldest building discovered. A mortgage is the pledging of a property to a Lender as a security for a Mortgage loan. A mortgage loan is a Loan secured by Real property through the use of a Mortgage (a legal instrument Site planning in Landscape architecture and Architecture refers to the organizational stage of the landscape design process An architect is a licensed individual who leads a design team in the Planning and Design of buildings and participates in oversight of Building Construction Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design construction and maintenance of the physical and naturally built Structural engineering is a field of Engineering dealing with the analysis and design of Structures that support or resist loads Structural engineering is Architectural engineering, also known as Building Engineering, is the application of Engineering principles and Technology to Building Design Landscape architecture involves the investigation and designed response to the landscape Urban design concerns the arrangement appearance and functionality of towns and cities and in particular the shaping and uses of urban Public space. A quantity surveyor (QS or cost engineer is a professional person working within the Construction industry. In the fields of Architecture and Civil engineering, construction is a process that consists of the Building or assembling of Infrastructure Construction Management refers either to the study and practice of the managerial and technological aspects of the Construction industry (including construction construction Transport or transportation is the movement of people and goods from one place to another An elevator or lift is a Transport device used to move people or goods vertically from one floor to another An escalator is a Conveyor transport device for transporting people consisting of individual linked steps that move up or down on tracks which keep the treads A moving walkway, moving sidewalk (in the US moving pavement (elsewhere walkalator, travelator, autowalk, horizontal escalator Early examples of skywalks Copenhagen, Denmark: skywalk connecting courts building to adjacent uses 18th century Faaborg An underground city is a network of Tunnels that connect buildings beneath street level The term architecture (from Greek αρχιτεκτονικήarchitektoniki) can be used to mean a process a profession or documentation Architectural engineering, also known as Building Engineering, is the application of Engineering principles and Technology to Building Design An architectural Structure is a free-standing immobile outdoor construction An autonomous building is a building designed to be operated independently from infrastructural support services such as the Electric power grid municipal water systems Builders' rites are ceremoniesattendant on the laying of Foundation stones whether Ecclesiastical, Masonic or otherwise and other traditions connected Building is one of the UK’s oldest Business-to-business magazines launched as 'The Builder' in 1843 by Joseph Aloysius Hansom – architect of Birmingham For other kinds of building materials see Hardware, Biology, Star formation. In the fields of Architecture and Civil engineering, construction is a process that consists of the Building or assembling of Infrastructure Cost overrun is defined as excess of actual Cost over Budget. This is a list of Buildings and Nonbuilding structures. By type List of abbeys and priories List Fire protection is the study and practice of mitigating the unwanted effects of Fires ref>NFPA Fire Protection Handbook pg Green building is the practice of increasing the efficiency with which buildings use resources — Energy, Water, and Materials — while reducing building Tornadoes, Cyclones, and other strong winds damage or destroy many buildings Here are some types of Buildings See also Architecture and Forms in architecture. This list of largest buildings in the world ranks Buildings from around the world by usable space ( Volume) and floor space ( Area) A megaproject is an extremely large-scale Investment Project. A natural building involves a range of Building systems and materials that place major emphasis on Sustainability. A natural disaster is the consequence of a Natural hazard (eg An earthquake is the result of a sudden release of energy in the Earth 's crust that creates Seismic waves Earthquakes are recorded with a Seismometer Nonbuilding structures, also referred to simply as structures, are those not designed for continuous human Occupancy. Occupancy is a defined Legal term in Building Construction and Building codes It refers to the use or intended use of a building or part thereof A skyscraper is a tall continuously habitable Building. There is no official definition or a precise cutoff height above which a building may clearly be classified as a skyscraper BBC News. Retrieved on 2000-03-01. 2000 ( MM) was a Leap year that started on Saturday of the Common Era, in accordance with the Gregorian calendar. Events 86 BC - Lucius Cornelius Sulla, at the head of a Roman Republic army enters in Athens, removing the Tyrant
network: | |