Brackley shown within Northamptonshire
|Population||13,331 (2001 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|European Parliament||East Midlands|
|List of places: UK • England • Northamptonshire|
Brackley is a town in south Northamptonshire, England. Brackley is a small rural Canadian farming community located on the northern boundary of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, adjoining the Charlottetown Northamptonshire (or archaically the County of Northampton; abbreviated Northants In Biology a population is the collection of inter-breeding organisms of a particular Species; in Sociology A nationwide Census, commonly known as Census 2001, was conducted in the United Kingdom on Sunday 29 April 2001 The British national grid reference system is a system of geographic grid references commonly used in Great Britain, different from using Latitude and Longitude The districts of England are a level of subnational division of England used for the purposes of local government South Northamptonshire is a local government district in Northamptonshire, England. Metropolitan and non-metropolitan counties are one of the four levels of Subdivisions of England used for the purposes of Local government outside Greater London Northamptonshire (or archaically the County of Northampton; abbreviated Northants The region, also known as the government office region, is currently the highest tier of local government sub-national entity of England, with only one The East Midlands is one of the Regions of England and consists of most of the eastern half of the traditional region of the Midlands. Constituent country is a phrase used often by official institutions in contexts in which a country makes up a part of a larger entity or grouping England is a Country which is part of the United Kingdom. Its inhabitants account for more than 83% of the total UK population whilst its mainland This list of sovereign states, alphabetically arranged gives an overview of States around the world with information on the extent of their Sovereignty. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain,is a Sovereign state located A post town is a required part of all postal addresses in the United Kingdom, and a basic unit of the postal delivery system UK Postal codes are known as postcodes. UK postcodes are Alphanumeric. The, also known as the Northampton postcode area, is a group of postal districts around Brackley, Corby, Daventry, Kettering, The UK Telephone numbering plan, also known as the National Telephone Numbering Plan, is the system used for assigning Telephone numbers in the United There are a number of law enforcement agencies in the United Kingdom. Northamptonshire Police is the Home Office police force responsible for policing Northamptonshire in the East Midlands of England. The fire service in the United Kingdom operates under separate legislative and administrative arrangements in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and The Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service is the fire and rescue service covering the county of Northamptonshire in the English East Midlands The East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS is the NHS ambulance service serving the East Midlands region of England. East Midlands is a constituency of the European Parliament. It currently elects 6 MEPs using the D'Hondt method of Party-list proportional This is a list of the 646 constituencies currently represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, as at the 2005 general election Daventry is a County constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. A Gazetteer of place names in the United Kingdom showing each place's County, Unitary authority or council area and its geographical coordinates List of places --> List of cities in the United Kingdom List of towns in England Lists of places This is a list of places in the ceremonial county of Northamptonshire, United Kingdom A geographic coordinate system enables every location on the Earth to be specified in three coordinates using mainly a spherical coordinate system. A town is a type of settlement ranging from a few to several thousand (occasionally hundreds of thousands inhabitants although it may be applied loosely even to huge metropolitan South Northamptonshire is a local government district in Northamptonshire, England. Northamptonshire (or archaically the County of Northampton; abbreviated Northants England is a Country which is part of the United Kingdom. Its inhabitants account for more than 83% of the total UK population whilst its mainland In the 2001 census Brackley had a population of 13,331. Year 2001 ( MMI) was a Common year starting on Monday according to the Gregorian calendar. Historically a market town based on the wool and lace trade, it was built on the intersecting trade routes from London to Birmingham (and the general north of England) and Cambridge to Oxford. London ( ˈlʌndən is the capital and largest urban area in the United Kingdom. Birmingham ( ˈbɜːmɪŋəm Ber -ming-um The city of Cambridge (ˈkeɪmbrɪdʒ is a university town and the administrative centre of the county of Cambridgeshire, England Oxford is currently bidding for the 2010 Wikimania Conference Oxford () is a city, and the County town of Oxfordshire,
Notable villages nearby include Syresham, Biddlesden, and Hinton-in-the-Hedges. Syresham is a village and Civil parish in the English district of South Northamptonshire. Biddlesden is a Village and Civil parish within Aylesbury Vale district in north west Buckinghamshire, England on the border with Hinton-in-the-Hedges is a small village in the English county of Northamptonshire.
Brackley, originally also known as Brachelai or Brackele, was owned in 1086 by Earl Alberic. After this it passed to the Earl of Leicester, and to the families of De Quinci and Roland. Lord Leicester redirects here You may be looking for Lord Leycester, the name of several things in and around Warwick, United Kingdom 
The market day previously on a Sunday, was changed in 1218 to Wednesday.
In 1597 the town was incorporated by King James II. It had a mayor, 6 aldermen and 26 burgesses.
Over time it has been known as a wool and lace-making area.
In 1901 the population of the town was 2,467.
Prior to 1834, the poor house in use by the area was in nearby Culworth, but in that year, the Brackley Poor Law Union came into effect. This article deals chiefly with the English Poor Laws covering England and Wales  A workhouse was built in 1836 to the south-west of the town, on the Banbury Road. A workhouse, colloquially known as a spike was a place where people who were unable to support themselves could go to live and work It was built to accommodate 250. This workhouse was demolished in the 1930s.
It has been a long-spun tale amongst Brackley's residents (but more precisely its students) that the town developed an underground passageway that connected the Eastern and Western ends. The most notable present day sites rumoured to be on its route include the excavated cavern on Manor Road (now an underground car park serving apartments above a supermarket) and St. Peter's Church in Old Town. Despite the appeal of the story, no actual proof of this secret tunnel exists.
Brackley is governed by the Brackley Town Council.
Brackley is close to the A43 road, which now bypasses the town, linking it to Towcester and Northampton to the east and the M40 motorway to the west. The A43 is a Primary route in the English Midlands that runs from the M40 motorway near Ardley in Oxfordshire to Stamford Towcester (ˈtoʊstɚ the Roman town of Lactodorum, is a small town in Northamptonshire, England. This article is about Northampton in England for other places of the same name see Northampton (disambiguation Northampton ( is a large Market The M40 Motorway is a motorway in the English Transport network that connects London to Birmingham. The A422 links it to Banbury. The A422 is an "A" road for east-west journeys in south central England, connecting the county towns of Bedford and Worcester by way of Banbury is a Market town located on the River Cherwell in northern Oxfordshire, England.
The nearest railway station to Brackley is at Kings Sutton, about six miles away. King's Sutton is a village and Civil parish in the west of Northamptonshire in England near to the River Cherwell that forms the boundary thereabouts Brackley once had two railway stations of its own, but both have since closed. The first, known in its latter years as Brackley Town, opened in May 1850 on a LNWR branch line from Verney Junction on the Oxford-Bletchley-Bedford-Cambridge line, to Banbury via Buckingham. For the game see 1850 (board game. 1850 ( MDCCCL) was a Common year starting on Tuesday (link The London and North Western Railway (LNWR L&NWR was a Railway company of the United Kingdom which existed between 1846 and 1922 Oxford is currently bidding for the 2010 Wikimania Conference Oxford () is a city, and the County town of Oxfordshire, Bedford is the County town of Bedfordshire, England. It is a large town and the administrative centre for the Bedford borough The city of Cambridge (ˈkeɪmbrɪdʒ is a university town and the administrative centre of the county of Cambridgeshire, England Banbury is a Market town located on the River Cherwell in northern Oxfordshire, England. Buckingham is a Town situated in north Buckinghamshire, England, approximately from the border with Northamptonshire. The second was Brackley Central on the Great Central line, the last main line to be constructed from the north of England to London, opened in March 1899. The Great Central Railway ( GCR) was a railway company in England which came into being when the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway changed Year 1899 ( MDCCCXCIX) was a Common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian calendar (or a Common The line through Brackley Town closed in January 1961, while the Great Central was axed by Beeching in September 1966. Year 1961 ( MCMLXI) was a Common year starting on Sunday (link will display full calendar of the Gregorian calendar. The Beeching Axe is an informal name for the British Government 's attempt in the 1960s to reduce the cost of running British Railways, the nationalised railway system Year 1966 ( MCMLXVI) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display full calendar of the 1966 Gregorian calendar. A very prominent feature of the latter was Brackley Viaduct, which spanned the Ouse valley just south east of the town. 255 yards in length, 62 feet high and containing 20 brick arches and two girder spans, it was demolished in sections in the spring and early summer of 1978. Year 1978 ( MCMLXXVIII) was a Common year starting on Sunday (link displays the 1978 Gregorian calendar) It is possible the viaduct may be rebuilt as passenger expansion increases in the near future and the tracks laid once again in the old cuttings of the Great Central Railway. The present A43 road runs across its site. Recent proposals were made to reconstruct one of these lines, but these were voted against by a vocal minority of the town's residents. A new vote was expected in late 2007 on this issue. 
The town has numerous bus services and is connected to major towns and cities such as Banbury ('499', '500'), Buckingham, Towcester, Oxford and Northampton ('X88', '88'). Banbury is a Market town located on the River Cherwell in northern Oxfordshire, England. Buckingham is a Town situated in north Buckinghamshire, England, approximately from the border with Northamptonshire. Towcester (ˈtoʊstɚ the Roman town of Lactodorum, is a small town in Northamptonshire, England. Oxford is currently bidding for the 2010 Wikimania Conference Oxford () is a city, and the County town of Oxfordshire, This article is about Northampton in England for other places of the same name see Northampton (disambiguation Northampton ( is a large Market In 2001 the 'X38' Oxford-Northampton express service became the 'X6' with the introduction of the '88' to serve villages en route to Northampton (such as Towcester, Blisworth and Milton Malsor). Blisworth is a village and Civil parish in the South Northamptonshire district of Northamptonshire, in England. Milton Malsor is an English village south of Northampton, in the Shire County of Northamptonshire. In September 2007, Stagecoach's Oxford-Brackley-Towcester-Northampton services were reduced with the merging of the '88' and 'X6'.
Notable buildings in the town include Magdalen College School, founded by Magdalen College for its pupils to escape the great plague affecting Oxford in the 15th century. Magdalen College School Brackley is one of three "ancient" Magdalen College Schools the others being its Sister colleges in Oxford and Magdalen College redirects here see also Magdalene College Cambridge Magdalen College (ˈmɔːdlɨn "maudlin" is one of the constituent Oxford is currently bidding for the 2010 Wikimania Conference Oxford () is a city, and the County town of Oxfordshire, St John's chapel stands next to the original college buildings and is still in use today, making it the oldest building in Great Britain in continual use by a school.
There was once a castle at the western end of town, but no visible evidence of it remains. A castle is a defensive structure seen as one of the main symbols of the Middle Ages. Brackley Castle was to be where King John and the barons signed Magna Carta, but this eventually occurred at Runnymede. John (24 December 1167 &ndash 19 October 1216 reigned as a King of England from 6 April 1199 until his death Magna Carta ( Latin for Great Charter, literally " Great Paper " also called Magna Carta Libertatum ( Great Charter of Freedoms Runnymede is a Water-meadow alongside the River Thames in the county of Surrey, England, associated with the signing of the Magna Carta
St Peter's church at the eastern end of the town boasts an impressive 11th century Norman doorway.
In the centre of town the market is held every Friday morning in the market square. Further up the high street is a large town park owned by the National Trust. The town centre underwent a number of improvements in 2006. Year 2006 ( MMVI) was a Common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. The piazza was rebuilt in York stone. For the Brazilian footballer see Wilson da Silva Piazza For the American baseball player see Mike Piazza For the coupé car York ( is an historic Walled city sited at the confluence of the rivers Ouse and Foss in North Yorkshire, England.
Winchester House School is one of the most prestigious private schools in England for children aged from 3-13.
Brackley is close to the Silverstone racing track, and has some industry related to Formula One racing, notably Honda (formerly British American Racing) which is based in the town. Silverstone Circuit is a Motor racing circuit in Northamptonshire and Buckinghamshire, named after the village in the former England Honda Racing F1 Team is a Formula One team run by Japanese car manufacturer Honda. British American Racing was a Formula One constructor that competed in the sport from 1999 to 2005 Another Formula 1 team (Spyker F1) also uses a wind tunnel located in Brackley. Spyker F1 was a Formula One team that competed in the 2007 Formula One World Championship, and was created by Spyker Cars after their buyout of the short-lived A wind tunnel is a research tool developed to assist with studying the effects of air moving over or around solid objects On the east outskirts of the town is Bronnley, suppliers of hand-made soaps to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales. For the ship see RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 Elizabeth II (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Context States headed by Elizabeth II Their products are bestowed with Royal Honours for Excellence.
The local rugby club is the Brackley Rugby Union Football Club.
The Brackley Athletic Football Club is a junior football club affiliated with the Northamptonshire Football Association. They play in three leagues - the under 7s - 10s are in the Milton Keynes & District Junior Sevens League, the Under 11s - 16s are in the Milton Keynes & Border Counties League and the girls team is in the Oxford Girls Football League.
Brackley Sports FC plays in the North Bucks League Premier Division.
Tennis facilities are available at the Brackley Tennis Club and Martial Arts training at the Brackley Freestyle Martial Arts Academy. The Brackley Leisure Centre and Swimming Pool and the Brackley Health Centre provide other local health-oriented facilities.
In early 2007, residents have witnessed a decline in the number of retail outlets in the Market Place, considered to be the hub of the town. The patient optimism created by the approval of the College Place development has been shattered by the continuous closures of stores and services along the High Street (West). The optimistic minority hold the belief that the development and ever-growing population has increased retail ground rent, sparking sales to larger chains.
Brackley's expansion possibilities are huge, but the town's potential - with locality to the major cities - is not being met by development or transport. No longer having the convenience of a train service, public transport commuters are forced to rely on buses. Links with Oxford, Northampton and Milton Keynes continue to decline steadily, with a further cut announced by Stagecoach in August 2007. Oxford is currently bidding for the 2010 Wikimania Conference Oxford () is a city, and the County town of Oxfordshire, This article is about Northampton in England for other places of the same name see Northampton (disambiguation Northampton ( is a large Market Milton Keynes ( ˌmɪltənˈkiːnz often abbreviated to MK, is a large town
More recently, the towns larger Co-op store, situated behind the high street will be closing in June 2008, and will be making way for the towns first Waitrose store. Larger well known stores such as this will hopefully bring in more businesses to the area, which will take up retail outlets previously left closed.
BRACKLEY, an incorporated market-town, a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of King'sSutton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 20 miles (S. W. by S. ) from Northampton, and 64 (N. W. by W. ) from London; containing 2121 inhabitants, of whom 887 are in the parish of St. James, and 1234 in that of St. Peter, which includes the hamlet of Halse. This place derives its name from the Anglo-Saxon Bracken, signifying fern, with which the neighbourhood formerly abounded: it was a Saxon burgh of considerable importance, but was greatly injured by the Danes. In the reign of John, Saher de Quincy, Earl of Winchester, joined the confederate barons at Stamford, and marched with them to Brackley, whence they sent a remonstrance setting forth their grievances to the king, who was then at Oxford. In the reign of Henry III. two splendid tournaments were held on a plain called Bayard's Green, near the town. Edward II. , who conferred many privileges upon Brackley, made it a staple town for wool; and in the reign of Edward III. , having become famous for its trade, it sent three representatives, as "Merchant Staplers," to a grand council held at Westminster. In the time of Henry VIII. , the plague raging violently at Oxford, the fellows and scholars of Magdalen College removed to this town, and resided in an hospital founded by Robert le Bossu, Earl of Leicester, about the middle of the twelfth century, and of which there are considerable remains; the chapel, with a broad low tower on the north-west side, being still entire.
The town, which was formerly of much greater extent, is on the border of Buckinghamshire, and is situated on the declivity of a hill, near a branch of the river Ouse, whose source is in the immediate vicinity: it is divided into two portions, New and Old; the latter, which is the smaller, is without the limits of the borough. The principal street, nearly a mile in length, extends from the bridge up the acclivity of the hill, and contains many good houses, mostly built of stone; there is an abundant supply of water. The inhabitants are chiefly occupied in the making of bobbin-lace, and boots and shoes. The market is on Wednesday; the fairs are principally for horses, horned-cattle, and sheep, and are on the Wednesday after Feb. 25th, the second Wednesday in April, the Wednesday after June 22nd, the Wednesday after Oct. 11th (a statute-fair), and Dec. 11th, which is a great fair for cattle and wearing-apparel. The inhabitants are supposed to have received their first charter of incorporation in the reign of Edward II. , and subsequent charters were granted in the 2nd and 4th of James II. , by which the government is vested in a mayor, six aldermen, and twenty-six burgesses. The elective franchise was conferred in the 1st of Edward VI. , the borough from that time returned two members to parliament, but was disfranchised by the 2nd of William IV. , cap. 45. The powers of the county debt-court of Brackley, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Brackley. The town-hall, a handsome building in the centre of the town, supported on arches, under which the market is held, was erected in 1706, by Scroop, Duke of Bridgewater, at a cost of £2000.
Brackley comprises the parishes of St. Peter and St. James, which, though ecclesiastically united, are distinct as regards civil affairs; the former consists of 3716 acres, and the latter of 430a. 3r. 36p. The living is a consolidated vicarage, valued in the king's books at £19. 1. 6. ; net income, £359; patron, the Earl of Ellesmere. Under an inclosure act, in 1829, land and a money payment were assigned in lieu of tithes; and under the recent act, impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £167. 10. , and vicarial for one of £238. 6. 10. The church of St. Peter is an ancient building, with a low embattled tower, and contains a Norman font of curious design: St. James', formerly a parochial church, is now a chapel of ease. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The free grammar school was founded about the year 1447, by William of Wainfleet, who endowed it for ten boys, with £13. 6. 8. per annum, which sum is paid by the society of Magdalen College, Oxford, to whom the site of the ancient hospital was granted at the time of its dissolution. A national school is supported by subscription; and a school-house, of Bath stone, for an infants' school, has been built by the Earl of Ellesmere, at a cost of £400. Almshouses for six aged widows were founded by Sir Thomas Crewe, in 1633, and endowed with a rent-charge of £24, which was increased, in 1721, by his descendant, Lord Crewe, Bishop of Durham, to £36. The poor law union of Brackley comprises 30 parishes or places, of which 25 are in the county of Northampton, 3 in that of Buckingham, and 2 in that of Oxford; and contains a population of 13,508. The site of a castle built by one of the Norman barons, is still called the Castle Hill. Samuel Clarke, an eminent orientalist, and one of the coadjutors of Walton in publishing the Polyglot Bible, was born here, in 1623; and Dr. Bathurst, Bishop of Norwich, who died in 1837, was also a native. Brackley gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Ellesmere. --Davethegeek (talk) 10:54, 28 May 2008 (UTC)
Brackley is boring. Very boring indeed. Especially if you're under 90 years of age. That's Brackley for ya.