A bellhop, also bellboy (pronunciation ) or bellman, is a hotel porter, who helps patrons with their luggage while checking in or out. Robert Hudson Walker ( October 13 1918  &ndash August 28 1951) was an American Actor. Her Highness and the Bellboy was a 1945 film starring Hedy Lamarr and Robert Walker. A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging usually on a short-term basis A porter, also called a bearer, is a person who carries objects Patronage is the support encouragement privilege and often financial aid given by a person or an organization Luggage is any number of Bags cases and containers which hold a Traveller s articles during transit. Check-in is the process of announcing your arrival at a Hotel, Airport or Sea port. They often wear a uniform (see Bell-boy hat), like certain other page boys or doormen. A Bell-boy Hat or Bellboy Cap is a small round or oval brimless cap with crown about 2"-3" in height resembling a squat can or drum
The job's name is derived from the fact that the hotel's front desk would ring a bell to summon an available employee, who would "hop" (jump) to attention at the desk in order to receive instructions.
Historically, this employee traditionally was a boy or adolescent male who may have been otherwise unskilled but able to carry luggage; hence the term bellboy. BOY is a Canadian Indie pop band The band consists of vocalist and general instrumentalist Stephen Kozmeniuk, drummer Maurie Kaufmann, Today's bellman must be quick witted, a good conversationalist, charismatic, outgoing, and understand the basics of human psychology to better customize each guest's experience. Duties that are often included in this job are opening the front door, moving luggage, valeting cars, calling cabs, transporting guests, giving directions, basic concierge work, and responding to any of the guest needs. A concierge (kɔ̃sjɛʁʒ ( French) is an employee who lives on the premises of Apartment buildings and serves as a general Property caretaker; while the In many countries such as the United States, it customary to tip such an employee for their service. A tip (also called a gratuity) is a payment made to certain Service sector workers in addition to the advertised price of the transaction
This position can also be held by a woman today, with the progression of equality in the workplace. The term "bellhop" is much less gender specific than "bellman" or "bellboy".
- Ted Serios was a Chicago bellhop, who gained notoriety in the 1960s by producing "thoughtographs" on Polaroid film, which he claimed were produced using psychic powers. Ted Serios (c 1920—December 30 2006 was a Chicago Bellhop, who gained notoriety in the 1960s by producing " thoughtographs " on Polaroid film
Bellhop from a hotel in Kyoto, Japan
The bellhop character is very common in popular culture, having been referenced in a number of occasions, such as the following:
- Bughouse Bellhops is a 1915 short comedy film featuring Harold Lloyd. Bughouse Bellhops is a 1915 short Comedy film featuring Harold Lloyd. Harold Clayton Lloyd Sr ( April 20, 1893 &ndash March 8, 1971) was an American Film actor and producer
- Hop, the Bellhop is a 1919 film featuring Oliver Hardy. Hop the Bellhop is a 1919 film featuring Oliver Hardy. Cast Billy Armstrong - Jumping Jupiter Oliver Oliver Hardy (born Norvell Hardy; January 18, 1892 &ndash August 7, 1957) was an American comic Actor
- The 1929 Marx Brothers musical/comedy film, The Cocoanuts, featured an early, if unwitting, foreshadowing of gender equality in the job. The Marx Brothers were a popular team of sibling Comedians who appeared in Vaudeville, stage plays film and television The Cocoanuts ( 1929) was the first feature-length Marx Brothers film produced by Paramount Pictures. The dialogue portion of the musical play featured a number of bellhops, all of them male. In fact, one of the opening songs was called The Bellhops. There were also a couple of chorus-line dance numbers featuring bellhops, all of them female. In case the viewing audience missed that subtlety, Groucho commented about it on-screen.
- The bellhop task of paging guests was referenced in a famous and long-running series of radio and print advertisements for the Philip Morris tobacco company. Altria Group Inc ( (previously named Philip Morris Companies Inc The ads featured a young man with a strong tenor voice announcing, "CALL. . . FOR. . . PHILIP MORR-E-IS!"
- In the video game Hotel Mario a species of Goomba appeared as an enemy character who was dressed as a bellhop. Hotel Mario is a Puzzle game developed by Fantasy Factory and published by Philips Interactive Media for the CD-i in 1994 This is a list of enemies in the ''Mario'' series of Video games Blooper Bloopers ( in Japanese originally known in English as Bloobers
- In the popular children's television series, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody a character named Esteban works as a bellhop in the Tipton Hotel. A television program (US television programme (UK or television show (U The Suite Life of Zack & Cody was an American Disney Channel Original Series created by Danny Kallis and Jim Geoghan A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging usually on a short-term basis
- In the 1942 cartoon short Bellboy Donald, Donald Duck is a bellhop. Donald Duck is a cartoon character from The Walt Disney Company. This short is notorious as it marks the first appearance of character Pete Junior, with whom Donald has to deal despite the kid's attempts to enrage him. Peter Pete Junior, (Known mostly by the abbreviation PJ) is a fictional character created by The Walt Disney Company.
- The cast members of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror attractions at Disney theme parks are dressed as bellhops of The Hollywood Tower Hotel. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror more commonly known as Tower of Terror is a simulated Freefall Thrill ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is the segment of The Walt Disney Company that conceives builds and manages the company's theme parks and holiday resorts as well as a variety The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror more commonly known as Tower of Terror is a simulated Freefall Thrill ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios
- The Bellboy and the Playgirls is a 1962 film by Francis Ford Coppola, Fritz Umgelter, and Jack Hill. The Bellboy and the Playgirls (Ge Mit Eva fing die Sünde an) is an American-German 1962 film by Francis Ford Coppola, Fritz
- Bell Boy is a song by The Who released on their 1973 album Quadrophenia. Quadrophenia is the sixth album by the English rock band The Who. The Who are an English rock band formed in 1964. The primary lineup consisted of guitarist Pete Townshend Quadrophenia is the sixth album by the English rock band The Who.
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
- The bellhop is the main character in the popular missing dollar riddle. The missing dollar riddle is a famous problem which plays with confusion and misdirection
network: | |