Bed rest is a doctor's prescription to spend a longer period of time in bed. A doctor's prescription is an order coming from a Health care professional prescribing a certain kind of Medical treatment of a Patient, such as administration
Prolonged bed rest has long been known to have deleterious physiological effects, such as muscle atrophy and other forms of deconditioning. Muscle atrophy is defined as a decrease in the mass of the muscle it can be a partial or complete wasting away of muscle Deconditioning is adaptation of an organism to less demanding environment or alternatively the decrease of physiological adaptation to normal conditions Besides lack of physical exercise in was shown that another important factor is that the hydrostatic pressure (caused by gravity) acts anomalously, resulting in altered distribution of body fluids. Fluid statics (also called hydrostatics) is the Science of Fluids at rest and is a sub-field within Fluid mechanics. Gravitation is a natural Phenomenon by which objects with Mass attract one another Bodily fluids listed below are found in the bodies of men and/or women Even physical exercise in bed fails to address certain adverse effects. 
Bed rest is commonly prescribed in the following cases.
- For sufferers of acute pain in spine or joints; for example, in the case of backache the unloading of the corresponding spinal segment decreases the intradiscal pressure, and it would bring relief in cases such as compression of spinal nerve. Pain, in the sense of physical pain, is a typical sensory experience that may be described as the unpleasant awareness of a noxious stimulus or bodily harm A joint is the location at which two or more Bones make contact Back pain (also known " dorsalgia " is Pain felt in the back that usually originates from the Muscles Nerves Bones The term spinal nerve generally refers to the mixed spinal Nerve, which is formed from the dorsal and ventral roots that come out of the Spinal cord. The prescribed duration of bed rest vary and opinions differ. 
- Bed rest is prescribed for some maternal or fetal complications of pregnancy, such as preterm labor, high blood pressure, incompetent cervix, or fetal growth problems. "Mom" "Mum" and "Mommy" redirect here A fetus (or foetus or fœtus) is a developing Mammal or other Viviparous Vertebrate, after the Embryonic stage and Pregnancy ( Latin graviditas) is the carrying of one or more offspring known as a Fetus or Embryo, inside the Uterus of a Female Blood pressure is also the title of a short story by Damon Runyan in Guys and Dolls and Other Stories The cervix (from Latin "neck" is the lower narrow portion of the Uterus where it joins with the top end of the Vagina. Prenatal development is the process in which an embryo or fetus (or foetus) gestates during Pregnancy, from fertilization In the past it was a general prescription during any kind of pregnancy, now deprecated. 
- Bed rest is an important measure in the cases of chorea. Heart disease is an Umbrella term for a variety for different diseases affecting the Heart. Chorea sancti viti (Latin for " St Vitus' dance " is an abnormal involuntary movement disorder one of a group of neurological disorders called Dyskinesias In the mild cases in may suffice for treatment. 
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke is a part of the U
- ^ Susan L. The rest cure, or bed rest cure, was a 19th century treatment for many Mental disorders particularly Hysteria. Woods (2004) "Cardiac Nursing", ISBN 078174718X, p. 921.
- ^ Richard S. Weiner (2002) " Pain Management: A Practical Guide for Clinicians", ISBN 0849309263, p. 741
- ^ Nancy A. Bowers (2001) "The Multiple Pregnancy Sourcebook", ISBN 0737303069, Chapter 12: Bed Rest
- ^ NINDS Sydenham Chorea Information Page of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |