Bass (pronounced like the word "base") refers a variety of musical instruments that can be collectively regarded as bass instruments since they produce tones that are in the low-pitched range. A musical instrument is a device constructed or modified for the purpose of making Music. Bass (ˈbɛɪs as in base) when used as an adjective is used to describe tones of low Frequency or range. In Music, the range of a Musical instrument is the distance from the lowest to the highest pitch it can play They belong to different families of instruments and can cover a wide range of musical roles. Since producing low pitches usually requires a long air column or string, the string and wind bass instruments are usually the largest instruments in their families or instrument classes.
As seen in the musical instrument classification article, categorizing instruments can be difficult. At various times and in various different cultures various schemes of Musical instrument classification have been used For example, some instruments fall into more than one category. The cello is considered a tenor instrument in some orchestral settings, but in a string quartet, the cello is the bass instrument. A string quartet is a Musical ensemble of four String instruments &mdash usually two Violins a Viola and Cello &mdash or a piece
Examples grouped by general form and playing technique include:
- Bass guitar and acoustic bass guitar, instruments shaped, constructed and held (or worn) like guitars, that play in the bass range. The electric bass guitar (also called electric bass, or simply bass; ˈbeɪs as in "base" is a Stringed instrument played primarily with the The acoustic bass guitar (also called ABG or acoustic bass) is a bass instrument with a hollow wooden body similar to though usually somewhat larger than a steel-string
- Double bass from the viol or violin family (usually the instrument referred to as a "bass" in European classical music and jazz. The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed String instrument used in the modern symphony orchestra. The viol (also called viola da gamba) is any one of a family of bowed, Fretted stringed Musical instruments developed in the 1400s Classical music is a broad term that usually refers to mainstream music produced in or rooted in the traditions of Western liturgical and Secular music Jazz is an American Musical art form which originated in the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States Sometimes called a "string bass" to differentiate it from a "bass horn". )
- A bass horn, such as a tuba, serpent, and sousaphone from the wind family and low-tuned versions of specific types of brass and woodwind instruments, such as bassoon, bass clarinet, bass trombone and bass saxophone, etc (less common usage)
- Keyboard bass, a keyboard alternative to the bass guitar or double bass (e. A serpent is a bass Wind instrument, descended from the Cornett, and a distant ancestor of the Tuba, with a mouthpiece like a Brass Mediatubaogg -->The tuba is the largest and lowest pitched Brass instrument. A serpent is a bass Wind instrument, descended from the Cornett, and a distant ancestor of the Tuba, with a mouthpiece like a Brass The sousaphone is a wearable Tuba descended from the Hélicon, and designed in an ergonomically efficient way such that it fits around the body of the wearer and The bassoon is a Woodwind instrument in the Double reed family that typically plays music written in the bass and Tenor registers and occasionally The bass clarinet is a Musical instrument of the Clarinet family The trombone is a Musical instrument in the brass family Like all brass instruments it is a lip-reed Aerophone: sound is produced when the player’s The bass saxophone is the second largest existing member of the Saxophone family (not counting the subcontrabass Tubax) The keyboard bass is the use of a low-pitched keyboard or Pedal keyboard to substitute for the Bass guitar or Double bass in popular music g. the Fender Rhodes piano bass in the 1960s or 13-note MIDI keyboard controllers in the 2000s).
- Washtub bass, a simple folk instrument
- A Bass drum
A musician playing one of these instruments is often known as a bassist. WashtubBassjpg|180px|thumb|A four-string washtub bass with a wooden bridge and fingerboard]]The washtub bass, or "gutbucket" is a stringed instrument used in American A bass drum is a large Drum that produces a note of low definite or indefinite pitch. A musician is a person who plays or writes Music. Musicians can be classified by their roles in creating or performing music An instrumentalist plays a A bass player (bassist is a Musician who plays a Double bass, Bass guitar, keyboard bass or wind Other more specific terms such as 'bass guitarist', 'double bassist', 'bass player', etc. may also be used.
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |