Alte Pinakothek building.
The Alte Pinakothek (Old Pinakothek) is an art museum situated in the Kunstareal in Munich, Germany. An art gallery or art museum is a space for the exhibition of art, usually Visual art. The Kunstareal (“art district” is a Museum quarter in the city centre of Munich, Germany. Munich (München; Minga is the capital city of Bavaria, Germany. Germany, officially the Federal Republic of Germany ( ˈbʊndəsʁepuˌbliːk ˈdɔʏtʃlant is a Country in Central Europe. It is one of the oldest galleries of the world housing one of the most famous art museums for the old masters. " Old Master " (or " old master " is a term for a European painter of skill who worked before about 1800, or a painting by such The name (old Pinakothek) alludes to the time period covered by the art — the Neue Pinakothek covers 19th century art and the recently opened Pinakothek der Moderne exhibits modern art, all galleries are part of Munich's "Kunstareal" (the "art area"). The Neue Pinakothek (New Pinakothek is an art museum in Munich, Germany. The Pinakothek der Moderne is a Modern art museum situated in the city centre of Munich, Germany. The Kunstareal (“art district” is a Museum quarter in the city centre of Munich, Germany.
Alte Pinakothek building in 1900.
King Ludwig I of Bavaria (1825-1848) ordered Leo von Klenze to erect the gallery for the Wittelsbach collection in 1826. Ludwig I (also rendered in English as Louis I) ( August 25 1786 in Strasbourg &ndash February 29, 1868 in Nice Leo von Klenze ( Franz Karl Leopold von Klenze, February 29 1784 - January 27 1864) was a German neoclassicist Architect The Wittelsbach family is a European Royal family and a German dynasty from Bavaria. The museum galleries were designed to display Rubens' "Last Judgment", one of the largest canvasses ever painted. Very modern in its day, the building became exemplary for museum buildings in Germany and all of Europe after its inauguration in 1836, and thus became a model for new galleries in Rome, St Petersburg, Brussels and Kassel. Rome ( Roma ˈroma Roma is the capital city of Italy and Lazio, and is Italy's largest and most populous city with more than 2 Saint Petersburg ( tr: Sankt-Peterburg,) is a city and a federal subject of Russia located on the Neva River Brussels (Bruxelles pronounced; Brussel pronounced) officially the Brussels Capital-Region, is Kassel (until 1926 officially Cassel) is a city situated along the Fulda River in northern Hessen, Germany, one of the two sources of the
The museum building was severely damaged by bombing in World War II but was reconstructed and reopened to the public in the late 1950s. World War II, or the Second World War, (often abbreviated WWII) was a global military conflict which involved a majority of the world's nations, including Unfortunately the ornate, pre-war interior has not been restored.
The collection was begun by William IV (1508-1550) who ordered important contemporary painters to create several history paintings. William IV of Bavaria ( Wilhelm IV Herzog von Bayern) ( 13 November 1493 &ndash 7 March 1550) was Duke of Bavaria from Elector Maximilian I (1597-1651) acquired paintings especially of Albrecht Dürer. Not to be confused with King Maximilian I of Bavaria (1756-1825 prince-elector of Bavaria (as Maximilian IV Joseph. Albrecht Dürer (ˈalbʀɛçt ˈdyʀɐ ( May 21, 1471 &ndash April 6, 1528) was a German painter, Printmaker Maximilian's grandson Maximilian II Emanuel (1679-1726) purchased a lot of Dutch and Flemish paintings when he was Governor of the Spanish Netherlands. Maximilian II ( July 11, 1662 - February 26, 1726) known as either Max Emanuel and Maximilian Emanuel, was a Wittelsbach The Southern Netherlands (Zuidelijke Nederlanden Países Bajos del Sur Pays-Bas du sud were a part of the Low Countries controlled by Spain ( Spanish Also his cousin Johann Wilhelm, Elector Palatine (1690-1716) collected Netherlandish paintings. Johann Wilhelm II Elector Palatine, also known as Johann Wilhelm von Pfalz-Neuburg, ( April 19, 1658 &ndash June 8, 1716) was After the reunion of Bavaria and the Palatinate in 1777, the galleries of Mannheim, Düsseldorf and Zweibrücken were moved to Munich, in part to protect the collections during the wars which followed the French revolution. Bavaria ( German:, with an area of 70553 Km² (27241 square miles and almost 12 The Palatinate of the Rhine (Pfalzgrafschaft bei Rhein later the Electoral Palatinate (Kurpfalz was a historical territory of the Holy Roman Empire Mannheim is a City in Germany. With 327318 inhabitants it is the second-largest city in the state of Baden-Württemberg after the capital Stuttgart Düsseldorf (ˈdʏsəldɔɐf is the capital city of the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia. Zweibrücken is a City in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, on the Schwarzbach river at the border of the Palatinate forest. With the secularisation many paintings from churches and former monasteries entered into state hands. The German Mediatisation was the series of mediatisations and secularisations that occurred in Germany in 1795 &ndash 1814, during King Ludwig I of Bavaria collected especially Early German and Early Dutch paintings but also masterpieces of the Italian renaissance.
The passion of the Wittelsbach rulers for some painters has caused the collection's incomparable excellence but also its definite weakness in some areas of collector's interest. To fill the gaps the Pinakothek has acquired especially paintings of the 18th century since the 1960s, for example loaned paintings from two Bavarian banks have been integrated into the collection, including, among other works, Lancret's "The Bird Cage" and Boucher's "Madame Pompadour. "
The museum is under supervision of the Bavarian State Painting Collections which own also an expanded collection of several thousand European paintings from the 13th to 18th century. Albrecht Dürer (ˈalbʀɛçt ˈdyʀɐ ( May 21, 1471 &ndash April 6, 1528) was a German painter, Printmaker Especially its collection of Early Italian, Old German, Old Dutch and Flemish paintings belongs to the most important in the world. More than 800 of these paintings are exhibited in the Old Pinakothek. Due to limited space in the building some associated galleries throughout Bavaria such as the baroque galleries in Schleissheim Palace and Neuburg Palace display also the Old Masters. The Schleissheim Palace ( German: Schloss Schleißheim) comprises actually three palaces in a grand Baroque park in the village of Oberschleißheim Neuburg an der Donau, literally Neuburg on the Danube River, is a town which is the capital of the Neuburg-Schrobenhausen district in the state of Bavaria
- German paintings 14th–17th century:
- Among many others the Pinakothek shows works of Stefan Lochner ("Adoration of the Christ Child by the Virgin (The Nativity)"), Albrecht Dürer ("The Four Apostles", "Paumgartner Altar", "Self-portrait in Fur Coat"), Hans Baldung Grien ("Markgrave Christoph of Baden"), Albrecht Altdorfer ("The Battle of Issus"), Cranach ("Lamentation Beneath the Cross"), Holbein ("St. Stefan Lochner ( Meersburg, 1400 &ndash Cologne, 1452 was a German late Gothic painter Albrecht Dürer (ˈalbʀɛçt ˈdyʀɐ ( May 21, 1471 &ndash April 6, 1528) was a German painter, Printmaker Hans Baldung known as Hans Baldung Grien/Grün (c 1480 - 1545 Albrecht Altdorfer (c 1480 near Regensburg &ndash 12 February 1538 in Regensburg) was a German painter, Printmaker The Battle of Alexander at Issus is Albrecht Altdorfer 's (c 1480 - 1538) most famous painting Lucas Cranach the Elder ( Lucas Cranach der Ältere, 4 October 1472 &ndash 16 October 1553) was a German painter Hans Holbein (c 1460 &ndash 1524 was a German painter. He was born in Augsburg, Bavaria and died in Las angeles Alsace Sebastian Altar; Central panel: Martyrdom of St. Sebastian"), Matthias Grünewald ("SS. Matthias Grünewald or "Mathis" (as first name "Gothart" or "Neithardt" (as surname (c Erasmus und Maurice"), Michael Pacher ("Altar of the Church Fathers"), Hans von Aachen ("The Triumph of Truth"), Adam Elsheimer ("The Flight into Egypt"), Johann Liss ("Death of Cleopatra")
- Dutch paintings 15th–18th century:
- One of the most impressive collection worldwide especially for early Netherlandish paintings with masterpieces for example of Rogier van der Weyden ("Columba Altar"), Dieric Bouts ("Ecce Agnus Dei"), Lucas van Leyden ("Virgin and Child with Mary Magdalen and a Donor"), Hieronymus Bosch ("Fragment from the Last Judgment"), Rembrandt van Rijn ("The Deposition", "The Holy Family"), Frans Hals ("Portrait of Willem Croes"), Pieter Lastman ("Odysseus and Nausikaa"), Carel Fabritius ("Self-Portrait"), Gerard Terborch ("The Flea-Catcher (Boy with His Dog)") and Jacob van Ruisdael ("Torrent with Oak Trees")
- Flemish paintings 16th–18th century:
- The collection contains masterpieces of painters like Jan Mabuse ("Danae"), Pieter Brueghel the Elder ("Harbour Scene with Christ Preaching"), Hans Memling ("The Seven Joys of the Virgin" ), Jan Brueghel the Elder ("Harbour Scene with Christ Preaching"), Peter Paul Rubens ("Rubens and Isabella Brant in the Honeysuckle Bower") ("The Fall of the Damned") ("The Big Last Judgment"), van Dyck ("Self-Portrait", "Susanna and the Elders"), Jacob Jordaens ("Satyr with Peasants") and Adriaen Brouwer ("Village Barbar's Shop"). Michael Pacher (c 1435—August 1498 was an Austrian Tyrolean painter and sculptor active during the last quarter of the 15th century Hans von Aachen (1552 Cologne - March 4, 1615, Prague) was a German mannerist painter. Adam Elsheimer (1578 &ndash 1610 was an influential artist in the early 17th century Johann Liss (also called Jan Lys (c 1590 or 1597 &ndash 1627 or 1631 was a leading German Baroque painter of the 17th century active mainly in Venice Rogier van der Weyden, also known as Rogier de le Pasture (1399/1400 &ndash June 18, 1464) is with Jan van Eyck, considered one of the Dieric Bouts, also spelled Dirk, Dierick and Dirck (born circa 1410/1420 died 1475 was an Early Netherlandish painter. Lucas van Leyden ( Leiden, 1494 &ndash August 8 1533 in Leiden also named either Lucas Hugensz or Lucas Jacobsz, was a Hieronymus Bosch ( Dutch, born Jeroen Anthonissen van Aken c 1450 &ndash August 9, 1516) was an Early Netherlandish The Last Judgment is a triptych created by Hieronymus Bosch. Unlike the alternate triptych with the same name The Last Judgment, only a fragment of Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn (July 15 1606 &ndash October 4 1669 was a Dutch painter and etcher. Frans Hals (c 1580– August 26, 1666) was a Dutch Golden Age painter especially famous for portraiture. Pieter Lastman (1583 Amsterdam - buried 4 April 1633, Amsterdam was a Dutch painter. Carel Fabritius (bapt Feb 27 1622, Middenbeemster - Oct 12 1654, Delft) was a Dutch painter and one of Gerard ter Borch (or Terburg) (December 1617 in Zwolle &ndash December 8 1681 in Deventer) Dutch genre painter Jacob Izaaksoon van Ruisdael (or Ruysdael) (c 1628 - March 14, 1682) the most celebrated of the Dutch landscapists, was See Doctor Mabuse for the fictional villain Jan Mabuse (c 1478 &ndash October 1, 1532) the name adopted (from his Pieter Bruegel the Elder (c 1525 &ndash September 9, 1569) was a Netherlandish Renaissance Hans Memling (Memlinc (c 1430 &ndash 11 August, 1494) was an Early Netherlandish painter, born in Seligenstadt / Germany, who Jan Brueghel the Elder (b 1568 Brussels - January 13 1625, Antwerp) was a Flemish painter, son of Pieter Brueghel The Honeysuckle Bower (ca 1609 is a Self-portrait of the Flemish Baroque painter Peter Paul Rubens (1577&ndash1640 and his first wife Isabella Jacob Jordaens ( May 19, 1593 - October 18, 1678) was one of three Flemish Baroque painters, along with Peter Paul Rubens Adriaen Brouwer (1605 Oudenaarde - January 1638 Antwerp) was a Flemish genre painter active in Flanders and the The Rubens Collection is the largest one worldwide.
- Italian paintings 13th–18th century:
- The Italian Gothic paintings are the oldest of the gallery, among them Giotto's famous "The Last Supper", then all Schools of Italian Renaissance and Baroque Painting are represented with works of Fra Angelico ("Entombment of Christ"), Domenico Ghirlandaio ("Virgin and Child with SS. Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci ( April 15 1452 – May 2 1519 was an Italian Polymath, having been a scientist Mathematician, Engineer The Madonna of the Carnation is a Oil painting by Leonardo da Vinci created sometime around 1478-1480 This article is about Gothic art See also Gothic architecture Gothic art was a Medieval art movement that lasted about 200 The Renaissance (from French Renaissance, meaning "rebirth" Italian: Rinascimento, from re- "again" and nascere Baroque art redirects here Please disambiguate such links to Baroque painting, Baroque sculpture, etc Fra Angelico (c 1395 &ndash February 18 1455) born Guido di Pietro, was an Early Italian Renaissance painter referred to in Vasari Domenico Ghirlandaio (1449 &ndash January 11, 1494) was a renowned Florentine Renaissance painter a contemporary of Botticelli Dominici, Michael, John the Baptist and John the Evangelist"), Sandro Botticelli ("Lamentation of Christ"), Fra Filippo Lippi ("The Annunciation"), Lorenzo Lotto ("The Mystic Marriage of St. The Lamentation over the Dead Christ, is a painting by the Italian Renaissance master Sandro Botticelli, finished around 1490-1492 Fra' Filippo Lippi (1406 &ndash October 8 1469 Lorenzo Lotto (c 1480 &ndash 1556 was a Northern Italian painter draughtsman and illustrator traditionally placed in the Venetian school. Catherine"), Raphael ("The Canigiani Holy Family") ("Madonna della tenda"), ("Madonna Tempi"), Leonardo da Vinci ("Madonna of the Carnation"), Antonello da Messina ("Annunciata"), Titian ("Vanity") ("Charles V"), Tintoretto ("Christ in the House of Mary and Martha"), Guido Reni ("The Assumption of the Virgin"), Luca Giordano ("A cynical philosopher"), Tiepolo ("The Adoration of the Kings"), Francesco Guardi ("Regatta on the Canale della Guidecca"), Canaletto ("Piazetta in Venice") and others. Raphael Sanzio, usually known by his first name alone (in Italian Raffaello) (April 6 or March 28 1483 – April 6 1520 was an Italian painter and The Canigiani Holy Family or Canigiani Madonna is a painting by the Italian High Renaissance artist Raphael. The Madonna della tenda is a Painting by the Italian Renaissance artist Raphael. The Tempi Madonna is an oil painting by the Italian High Renaissance painter Raphael. Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci ( April 15 1452 – May 2 1519 was an Italian Polymath, having been a scientist Mathematician, Engineer The Madonna of the Carnation is a Oil painting by Leonardo da Vinci created sometime around 1478-1480 Antonello da Messina, properly Antonello di Giovanni di Antonio (c The Munich Virgin Annunciate is a Painting by the Italian Renaissance artist Antonello da Messina. Tiziano Vecelli or Tiziano Vecellio (c 1485 &ndash August 27 1576 better known as Titian, was the leading painter of the 16th-century Venetian Tintoretto (real name Jacopo Comin; September 29, 1518 - May 31, 1594) was one of the greatest painters of the Venetian school and Guido Reni ( 4 November 1575 &ndash 18 August 1642) was a prominent Italian painter of high- Baroque style Luca Giordano ( October 18, 1634 &ndash January 12, 1705) was an eclectic peripatetic and influential Italian late Baroque See also Giovanni Domenico Tiepolo (or Giandomenico Tiepolo) or Lorenzo Baldissera Tiepolo, both sons of Giovanni Battista Francesco Lazzaro Guardi ( October 5, 1712 &ndash January 1, 1793) was a Venetian painter of Veduta. This is about the first and better known artist "Canaletto" for his nephew and pupil sometimes also called "Canaletto" especially in Poland and Germany see
- French paintings 16th–18th century:
- In spite of the close relationship of the Wittelsbach to France it is the second smallest section with works for example of Claude Lorrain ("The Expulsion of Hagar"), Nicolas Poussin ("Midas and Bacchus"), François Boucher ("Madame de Pompadour") ("Reclining Girl"), Nicolas Lancret ("The Bird Cage"), Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin ("Woman Cleaning Turnips"), Maurice-Quentin de la Tour ("Mademoiselle Ferrand Meditating on Newton"), Claude Joseph Vernet ("Eastern Harbour at Dawn") and Jean-Honoré Fragonard ("Girl with Dog"). The Wittelsbach family is a European Royal family and a German dynasty from Bavaria. Claude Lorrain (also Claude Gellée or Le Lorrain) ( Lorraine, c Nicolas Poussin (15 June 1594 – 19 November 1665 was a French painter in the classical style François Boucher ( September 29 1703 – May 30 1770) was a French painter, a proponent of Rococo taste Nicolas Lancret ( 22 January 1690 &ndash 14 September 1743) French painter, was born in Paris, and became a brilliant Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin ( November 2, 1699 &ndash December 6, 1779) was an 18th-century French painter. Maurice Quentin de La Tour ( 1704-09-05 - 1788-02-17) was a French Rococo portraitist who worked primarily with Pastels Claude Joseph Vernet ( August 14, 1714 &ndash December 3, 1789) was a French painter. Jean-Honoré Fragonard ( April 5, 1732 &ndash August 22, 1806) was a French painter and Printmaker whose late Rococo
- Spanish paintings 16th–18th century:
- Though this is the smallest section all masters are represented, such as El Greco ("The Disrobing of Christ"), de la Cruz ("Infant Isabella Clara Eugenia of Spain"), Velazquez ("Young Spanish Gentleman"), Jusepe de Ribera ("Saint Bartholomew"), Zurbarán ("The Entombment of St. El Greco' ("The Greek " 1541 &ndash April 7 1614 was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish Renaissance Juan Pantoja de La Cruz ( Valladolid, 1553 - 26 October 1608, Madrid) Spanish painter one of the best representatives of the Spanish Diego Rodríguez de Silva y Velázquez ( June 6, 1599 &ndash August 6, 1660) was a Spanish painter who was the leading Jusepe de Ribera ( January 12, 1591 - 1652 was a Spanish Tenebrist painter and Printmaker, also known as José de Ribera in Spanish Francisco de Zurbarán ( November 7 1598 &ndash August 27 1664) was a Spanish painter. Catharine of Alexandria on Mount Sinai") and Murillo ("Baggar Boys Eating Grapes and Melon"). This article is about the painter Bartolomé Esteban Murillo There is also an article on the Canadian village Murillo Ontario, which was named after the artist due to The paintings of Francisco de Goya were moved into the New Pinakothek. The Neue Pinakothek (New Pinakothek is an art museum in Munich, Germany.
Selected pieces: Albrecht Altdorfer (c 1480 near Regensburg &ndash 12 February 1538 in Regensburg) was a German painter, Printmaker The Battle of Alexander at Issus is Albrecht Altdorfer 's (c 1480 - 1538) most famous painting Adam Elsheimer (1578 &ndash 1610 was an influential artist in the early 17th century Raphael Sanzio, usually known by his first name alone (in Italian Raffaello) (April 6 or March 28 1483 – April 6 1520 was an Italian painter and The Tempi Madonna is an oil painting by the Italian High Renaissance painter Raphael. Tiziano Vecelli or Tiziano Vecellio (c 1485 &ndash August 27 1576 better known as Titian, was the leading painter of the 16th-century Venetian Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn (July 15 1606 &ndash October 4 1669 was a Dutch painter and etcher. Gerard ter Borch (or Terburg) (December 1617 in Zwolle &ndash December 8 1681 in Deventer) Dutch genre painter The Honeysuckle Bower (ca 1609 is a Self-portrait of the Flemish Baroque painter Peter Paul Rubens (1577&ndash1640 and his first wife Isabella Juan Pantoja de La Cruz ( Valladolid, 1553 - 26 October 1608, Madrid) Spanish painter one of the best representatives of the Spanish This article is about the painter Bartolomé Esteban Murillo There is also an article on the Canadian village Murillo Ontario, which was named after the artist due to Nicolas Poussin (15 June 1594 – 19 November 1665 was a French painter in the classical style François Boucher ( September 29 1703 – May 30 1770) was a French painter, a proponent of Rococo taste The Kunstareal (“art district” is a Museum quarter in the city centre of Munich, Germany. Munich (München; Minga is the capital city of Bavaria, Germany. The square was designed at the command of Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria by Karl von Fischer and laid out by Leo von Klenze The Glyptothek is a museum in Munich, Germany, which was commissioned by the Bavarian King Ludwig I to house his collection of Greek and The Staatliche Antikensammlungen (State Collections of Antiques in the Kunstareal of Munich is a museum for the Bavarian state's antique collections for The Lenbachhaus in Munich houses an art museum and is part of Munich's " Kunstareal " (the "art area" The Neue Pinakothek (New Pinakothek is an art museum in Munich, Germany. The Pinakothek der Moderne is a Modern art museum situated in the city centre of Munich, Germany. The Brandhorst-Museum will be opened in Munich in 2008 It will display the collection of modern art of the heir of the Henkel trust Udo Brandhorst The Staatliche Sammlung für Ägyptische Kunst (National collection of Egyptian art in Munich is the Bavarian State Collection for Ancient Egypt art
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |