An agent is either an entity who is capable of action or an agent is something or someone which acts on behalf of another person. History The first government bus services available to the general public appeared in 1926 running from Eastlake to Ainslie.
Agent can mean:
- Agent (law): a person authorised to act on behalf of another person
- Patent agent, or patent attorney, a professional who represents and advises another in the assessment, securing and maintaining of intellectual property rights, with particular reference to patent rights. For other uses of the word Agent see Agent (disambiguation This is correct An Agent in Commercial Law is a person who is authorised A patent attorney is an Attorney who has the specialized qualifications necessary for representing clients in obtaining Patents and acting in all matters and procedures A patent is a set of Exclusive rights granted by a State to an inventor or his assignee for a fixed period of time in exchange for a disclosure of an
- Tuition agent, a person who represents a tuition agency in searching for suitable tutors for students. A tuition Agency is a commercial organisation which specialises in introducing tutors to Students requiring help in the academic area In British Australian New Zealand Italian and some Canadian universities, a tutor is often but not always a Postgraduate Student or a Lecturer
- Literary agent, a person who represents a writer
- Theatrical agent
- Booking agent
- Sports agent, a professional who represents an athlete
- Talent agent, a person who finds jobs for actors, models, and other people in various entertainment businesses. A literary agent is an agent who represents Writers and their written works to Publishers Theatrical producers and Film producers and A talent agent, or booking agent, is a person who finds jobs for Actors Musicians models, and other people in various Entertainment A talent agent, or booking agent, is a person who finds jobs for Actors Musicians models, and other people in various Entertainment A sports agent is a person who procures and negotiates employment and Endorsement deals for an athlete. A talent agent, or booking agent, is a person who finds jobs for Actors Musicians models, and other people in various Entertainment
- Press agent, publicist who acts on behalf of a client on all matters involving public relations
- Foreign agent, someone registered with the U. A press agent is a professional publicist who acts on behalf of his or her client on all matters involving Public relations. S. Justice Department as mandated by the Foreign Agents Registration Act
- Travel agent, makes vacation and travel arrangements
- Real estate broker, or real estate agent
- Yacht broker, or yacht agent
- Yacht charter broker, or yacht charter agent
- Election agent, a person responsible for a candidate's campaign
- Free agent, a sports player who is out of contract
- Agent provocateur, a person assigned to provoke unrest, violence, debate, or argument by or within a group while acting as a member of the group but covertly representing the interests of another
- Rational agent deliberate being
In espionage and law enforcement
- Secret agent, a spy
- Double agent, in spying
- Special agent, generally, a federal criminal or non-criminal investigator or detective. The Foreign Agents Registration Act is a United States law passed in 1938 requiring information from foreign sources to be properly identified to the American public This article focuses on US practice for other definitions and practices in other countries see the more general Real Estate or Real property articles A yacht broker is a specialist agent who acts as a representative for the sale of a yacht or boat Yacht chartering is the practice of Renting, or chartering a Sailboat or Motor yacht and travelling to various Coastal or Island destinations In Elections in the United Kingdom, as well as in certain other similar political systems such as India 's an election agent is the person legally responsible for In Professional sports a free agent is a team player whose contract with a team has expired and the player is able to sign a contract with another team if that player Traditionally an agent provocateur ( Plural: agents provocateurs, French for "inciting agent" is a person employed by the police or A rational agent is an Agent which takes actions based on Information from and Knowledge about the agent's environment A split album featuring performances by bands The KGB and Alien Spy that was produced in 1997 Within the United States, the title of Special Agent is used to describe any federal criminal or non-criminal investigator or Detective in the 1811 1801 2501 or
In chemistry and warfare:
- Agent Orange, a herbicide
- Biological agent, an infectious disease that can be used in biological warfare
- Chemical warfare agent, classified by their effect and include:
- Nerve agent
- Blister agent
- Blood agent
- Pulmonary agent
- Incapacitating agent
- Riot control agent. In Economics, an agent is an actor in a model that (generally solves an optimization problem Economists use the term representative agent to refer to the typical individual of a certain type (for example the typical consumer or the typical firm Homo economicus, or Economic man, is the concept in some Economic theories of man (that is a Human) as a rational, perfectly informed and Agent-based Computational Economics (ACE is the computational study of economic processes modeled as dynamic systems of interacting agents Agent Orange is the code name for a powerful Herbicide and Defoliant used by the U A biological agent is an Infectious disease or Toxin that can be used in Bioterrorism or Biological warfare. Chemical warfare involves using the toxic properties of Chemical substances to kill injure or incapacitate an enemy. Nerve agents (also being referred to as nerve gases, though these chemicals are liquid at room temperature are a class of Phosphorus -containing organic chemicals A blister agent (also known as a vesicant) is a chemical compound that causes severe skin eye and mucosal pain and irritation A blood agent or cyanogen agent is a Chemical compound, carried by the blood for distribution through the body A pulmonary agent (or choking agent) is a Chemical weapon agent designed to impede a victim's ability to breathe. The term incapacitating agent is defined by the US Department of Defense as "An agent that produces temporary Physiological or mental Riot control agents are Less-lethal Lachrymatory agents used for Riot control.
- Agent (grammar), one of the thematic roles: the participant of a situation that carries out an action. In Linguistics, a grammatical agent is the Participant of a situation that carries out the action in this situation Replaces "subject" in placement typology. Linguistic Typology is an international Peer-reviewed journal in the field of Linguistic typology, founded in 1997
- Agent noun (or nomen agentis), one of the derivatemes (a topic from linguistic morphology)
In computer science
- Software agent, software that acts on behalf of a user
- Forté Agent, a newsreader and email client
- User agent, a client application used with a particular network protocol
- Intelligent agent
- In artificial intelligence an intelligent agent is any entity that is capable of perceiving its environment and carrying out goal-directed action. In Linguistics, an agent noun (or nomen agentis) is a word that is derived from another word denoting an action, and that identifies an entity that does In Computer science, a software agent is a piece of software that acts for a user or other program in a relationship of agency. Forté Agent is an Email and Usenet News client used on the Windows operating system A user agent is the client application used with a particular Network protocol; the phrase is most commonly used in reference to those which access the World In Artificial intelligence, an intelligent agent ( IA) is an entity which observes "reason" and acts upon an environment (i In Artificial intelligence, an intelligent agent ( IA) is an entity which observes "reason" and acts upon an environment (i
- In computer science, an intelligent agent is a software agent that displays some intelligence. Computer science (or computing science) is the study and the Science of the theoretical foundations of Information and Computation and their In Artificial intelligence, an intelligent agent ( IA) is an entity which observes "reason" and acts upon an environment (i In Computer science, a software agent is a piece of software that acts for a user or other program in a relationship of agency.
- Agent, a financial institution acting as the operational intermediary in a syndicated loan between the syndicate banks and the borrower. Agent 212 is the name of a humorous Belgian comic about a fat Police officer. Agents are a group of characters in the ''Matrix'' series. They are sentient programs displaying high-level Artificial Intelligence, and are representatives The Agent is a 1922 film featuring Oliver Hardy. Cast Larry Semon - Federal Agent Lucille Carlisle Secret Agent is a 1936 British Film directed by Alfred Hitchcock, based on a novel by W is a PlayStation 2 game released by Sammy Studios in 2004 Its story and concept are based upon Akira Kurosawa 's 1954 movie Seven Samurai Hitman is a series of Video games developed by the Danish company IO Interactive, now a division of Eidos Interactive. A syndicated loan (or "syndicated bank facility" is a large Loan in which a group of banks provide funds for a borrower usually several but without joint liability Syndicate comes from French syndicat which means Trade union ( syndic meaning administrator) from the Latin word syndicus A banker or bank is a Financial institution whose primary activity is to act as a payment agent for customers and to borrow and lend money In Finance, a Borrower is the party in a Loan agreement which receives money or other instrument from a Lender and promises to repay the lender in a specified The most common form is the "Administrative Agent".
In popular culture
See also In Computer science, agent architecture is a Blueprint for Software agents and Intelligent control systems depicting the arrangement of components An agent-based model (ABM is a Computational model for simulating the actions and interactions of autonomous individuals in a network with a view to assessing their A robot is a mechanical or Virtual Artificial agent In practice it is usually an electro-mechanical system which by its appearance or movements Personoid is the concept coined by Stanislaw Lem (1971 a Polish science-fiction writer
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
- One who exerts power, or has the power to act; an actor.
- One who acts for, or in the place of, another (the principal), by authority from him; one intrusted with the business of another; a substitute; a deputy; a factor.
- An active power or cause; that which has the power to produce an effect; as, a physical, chemical, or medicinal agent; as, heat is a powerful agent.
- (computing) In the client-server model, the part of the system that performs information preparation and exchange on behalf of a client or server. Especially in the phrase “intelligent agent” it implies some kind of autonomous process which can communicate with other agents to perform some collective task on behalf of one or more humans.
- (grammar) The participant of a situation that carries out the action in this situation, e.g. "the boy" in the sentences "The boy kicked the ball" and "The ball was kicked by the boy".
network: | |