|2012 by topic:|
|News by month|
|Jan - Feb - Mar - Apr - May - Jun|
Jul - Aug - Sep - Oct - Nov - Dec
|Architecture - Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music (Country, Metal, UK) - Film - Television - Home video|
|Countries - Elections - Int'l leaders - Politics - State leaders - Sovereign states|
|Science and technology|
|Archaeology - Aviation - Birding/Ornithology - Meteorology - Rail transport - Science - Spaceflight|
|Sport - Athletics (Track and Field) - Australian Football League - Baseball - Football (soccer) - Ice Hockey - Motorsport - Tennis National Rugby League|
|Argentina - Australia - Canada - China -France - India - Iran - Iraq - Ireland - Japan - Luxembourg - Malaysia - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway- Pakistan - Singapore - South Africa - United Kingdom - United States - Zimbabwe|
|Deaths - Awards - Games - Law - Religious leaders - Video gaming|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births - Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Works and introductions categories|
|Works - Introductions|
2012 (MMXII) will be a leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. The pages listed below contain information about trends and events in particular centuries and millennia. The twentieth century of the Common Era began on The 21st century is the current century of the Christian Era or Common Era in accordance with the Gregorian calendar. The 22nd century of the Common Era will span the years 2101&ndash2200 of the Gregorian calendar. See also List of centuries, History This is a list of Decades in history including links to corresponding articles with more information about them The 1980s was the decade spanning from January 1 1980 to December 31 1989. The 1990s collectively refers to the years between and including 1990 and 1999 The 2010s Decade is a period of 10 years that will begin on January 1, 2010 and will end on December 31, 2019. The 2020s is the 3rd decade of the 21st century of the Anno Domini ( common) era The 2030s will begin on January 1, 2030 and end on December 31, 2039. The decade will begin on 1st January 2040 and will end on 31st December 2049 This page indexes the individual Years pages Twenty-first century This article is about the year For the film see 2009 Lost Memories. For the film see 2010 The Year We Make Contact. For the book see 2010 Odyssey Two. 2011 ( MMXI) will be a Common year starting on Saturday of the Gregorian calendar. 2013 ( MMXIII) will be a Common year starting on Tuesday of the Gregorian calendar. 2014 ( MMXIV) will be a Common year starting on Wednesday of the Gregorian calendar. 2015 ( MMXV) will be a Common year starting on Thursday of the Gregorian calendar. 2012 ( MMXII) will be a Leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. 2012 ( MMXII) will be a Leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. 2012 ( MMXII) will be a Leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. 2012 ( MMXII) will be a Leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. 2012 ( MMXII) will be a Leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. 2012 ( MMXII) will be a Leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. 2012 ( MMXII) will be a Leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. 2012 ( MMXII) will be a Leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. 2012 ( MMXII) will be a Leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. 2012 ( MMXII) will be a Leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. 2012 ( MMXII) will be a Leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. 2012 ( MMXII) will be a Leap year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar. Events By month January events See also January 2012 in rail transport January Events 31 January The following are the scheduled events of Association football for the year 2012 throughout the world The Gregorian calendar is the most widely used Calendar in the world today Ab Urbe condita (literally "from The Armenian calendar is the traditional calendar of Armenia. The Bahá'í calendar, also called the Badí‘ calendar, used by the Bahá'í Faith, is a Solar calendar with regular years of 365 days and Leap The Berber calendar is the annual Calendar used by Berber people in North Africa. The Buddhist calendar is used on mainland Southeast Asia in the countries of Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar (formerly Burma The traditional Burmese calendar is a Lunisolar calendar based on both the phases of the moon and the motion of the sun The Chinese calendar is lunisolar, incorporating elements of a Lunar calendar with those of a Solar calendar. The Chinese sexagenary cycle ( is a cyclic numeral system of 60 combinations of the two basic cycles the ten Heavenly Stems (天干 tiāngān The Chinese sexagenary cycle ( is a cyclic numeral system of 60 combinations of the two basic cycles the ten Heavenly Stems (天干 tiāngān The Coptic calendar, also called the Alexandrian calendar, is used by the Coptic Orthodox Church and still used in Egypt The Ethiopian calendar ( Amharic: የኢትዮጵያ ዘመን አቆጣጠር ye'Ītyōṗṗyā zemen āḳoṭaṭer) also called the Ge'ez calendar, The Hebrew calendar (הלוח העברי ha'luach ha'ivri) or Jewish calendar is a Lunisolar calendar used by Jews for predominantly religious Calendar Events Births Deaths Calendar Events Births Deaths The Hindu calendar used in ancient times has undergone many changes in the process of regionalization and today there are several regional Indian Calendars, as The Indian national calendar (sometimes called Saka calendar) is the official civil calendar in use in India. Kali Yuga ( Devanāgarī: sa कलियुग lit "Age of Kali " "age of vice" is one of the four stages of development that the world goes The Iranian calendar or Solar Hejri (تقویم هجری شمسی؛ سالنمای هجری خورشیدی Taqwim Hejri Shamsi Salanmay Hejri Khurshidi) is an astronomical The Islamic calendar or Muslim calendar ( Arabic: التقويم الهجري at-taqwīm al-hijrī; Persian: تقویم هجری قمری Since January 1, 1873, Japan has used the Gregorian calendar, with local names for the months and mostly fixed holidays is the current era name in Japan. The Heisei era started on January 8, 1989, just one day after the death of the reigning Emperor Hirohito The traditional Korean calendar is a Lunisolar calendar which like the traditional calendars of other East Asian countries was based on the Chinese calendar The Thai solar calendar, Suriyakati (สุริยคติ has been the official and prevalent Calendar in Thailand since it was adopted by King Unix time, or POSIX time, is a system for describing points in Time, defined as the number of seconds elapsed since Midnight Coordinated Universal Roman numerals are a Numeral system originating in ancient Rome, adapted from Etruscan numerals. This is the Calendar for any Leap year starting on Sunday ( Dominical letter AG) such as 2012. The Gregorian calendar is the most widely used Calendar in the world today
Predicted and scheduled events
- January 1 — Poland will adopt the Euro as its official currency. New Year See also New Year The Ancient Romans began their consular year on January 1st since 153 BC Poland (Polska officially the Republic of Poland Please update other articles as well to avoid contradiction within Wikipedia e A currency is a unit of exchange, facilitating the transfer of Goods and/or services It is one form of Money, where money is
- January 15 — Presidential elections in Finland
- January 31 — 433 Eros, the second-largest Near Earth Object on record (size 13x13x33 km) will pass Earth at 0. Events 588 BC - Nebuchadrezzar II of Babylon lays siege to Jerusalem under Zedekiah 's reign Elections in Finland gives information on Election and election results in Finland. Events 1504 - France cedes Naples to Aragon. 1606 - Gunpowder Plot: Guy Fawkes TemplateInfobox Planet. --> 433 Eros (ˈɪərɒs irr'-os) is the first discovered Near-Earth asteroid Near-Earth objects ( NEOs) are Asteroids Comets and large Meteoroids whose orbits bring them close ( Perihelion distance AU 1790 astronomical units (~26. The astronomical unit ( AU or au or au or sometimes ua) is a unit of Length based on the distance from the Earth to the 8 million kilometers; ~16. 6 million miles). NASA studied Eros with the NEAR Shoemaker probe launched on 1996-02-17. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration ( NASA, ˈnæsə is an agency of the United States government, responsible for the nation's public space program The Near Earth Asteroid Rendezvous - Shoemaker (NEAR Shoemaker renamed after its launch in honor of planetary scientist Eugene M Year 1996 ( MCMXCVI) was a Leap year starting on Monday (link will display full 1996 Gregorian calendar) Events 1500 - Battle of Hemmingstedt. 1600 - Philosopher Giordano Bruno is burned alive at Campo de' Fiori 
- February 5 — Super Bowl XLVI will be played at Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis, Indiana. Events 1576 - Henry of Navarre converts to Roman Catholicism in order to ensure his right to the throne of France. Super Bowl XLVI will be the 46th annual edition of the Super Bowl in American football, and the 42nd annual championship game of the modern-era National Lucas Oil Stadium is a retractable roof stadium in Indianapolis Indiana.
- February 6 — Queen Elizabeth II will celebrate her Diamond Jubilee. Events 46 BC - Julius Caesar defeats the combined army of Pompeian followers and Numidians under Metellus Scipio For the ship see RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 Elizabeth II (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Context States headed by Elizabeth II A Diamond Jubilee is a celebration held to mark a 60th Anniversary in the case of a person (e A series of festivities across the United Kingdom and Commonwealth of Nations will likely run throughout the year. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain,is a Sovereign state located
- April 1 — The United States Census of 1940 is released to the public. Events 527 - Byzantine Emperor Justin I names his nephew Justinian I as co-ruler and successor to the throne
- April 17 — The United States will cede wartime control of the military of the Republic of Korea after 50 years and dissolve the Combined Forces Command. Events 69 - After the First Battle of Bedriacum, Vitellius becomes Roman Emperor. The Republic of Korea Armed Forces ( Hangul: 대한민국 국군 Hanja: 大韓民國 國軍 Revised Romanization: Dae-han-min-guk Guk-gun South Korea, officially the Republic of Korea and often referred to as Korea ( Korean: 대한민국 tɛː Two distinct military commands (South Korea and the United States) will operate in Korea during wartime, rather than one unified command under the Combined Forces Command.
- May 20 — Annular solar eclipse, a Sunday. Events 325 - The First Council of Nicaea &ndash the first Ecumenical Council of the Christian Church is held A solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth so that the Sun is wholly or partially obscured
- May - French Presidential election (if the incumbent's term had normally finished in May). The President of the French Republic (Président de la République française colloquially referred to in English as the President of France, is France 's elected
- May - Irish general election is due to be held if the current government remains in office for a full term. The Republic of Ireland elects on national level a Head of state — the President — and a Legislature.
- June 6 — Second and last solar transit of the planet Venus of this century; the next pair is predicted to occur in 2117 and 2125 (see Transit of Venus, 2012). Events 1508 - Maximilian I Holy Roman Emperor, is defeated in Friulia by Venetian forces; he is forced to sign a three-year The Sun (Sol is the Star at the center of the Solar System. A transit of Venus across the Sun takes place when the Planet Venus passes directly between the Sun and Earth, obscuring a small portion of the The VENUS ( V ictoria E xperimental N etwork U nder the S ea project is a cabled sea floor observatory operated by the University The 22nd century of the Common Era will span the years 2101&ndash2200 of the Gregorian calendar. The 22nd century of the Common Era will span the years 2101&ndash2200 of the Gregorian calendar. The next Transit of Venus will occur on June 5 &ndash June 6 in 2012.
- June 9–July 1 — 2012 European Football Championship will be played in Poland/Ukraine. Events 53 - Roman Emperor Nero marries Claudia Octavia 62 - Claudia Octavia commits "July 1st" redirects here For the Ayumi Hamasaki song see H (song. The 2012 UEFA European Football Championship, commonly referred to as Euro 2012, will be the 14th European Championship for national football teams Poland (Polska officially the Republic of Poland Ukraine (Україна Ukrayina, /ukrɑˈjinɑ/ is a country in Eastern Europe.
- July 1 — Presidential Elections in Mexico. "July 1st" redirects here For the Ayumi Hamasaki song see H (song. The United Mexican States ( or commonly Mexico (ˈmɛksɪkoʊ () is a federal constitutional Republic in North America.
- July 27 — Opening ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics begins in London at 7:30 pm UTC, 8:30pm BST. Events 1214 - Battle of Bouvines: In France, Philip II of France defeats John of England. London ( ˈlʌndən is the capital and largest urban area in the United Kingdom. 
- August 12 — Closing ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, United Kingdom, a Sunday. Events 1099 - First Crusade: Battle of Ascalon - Crusaders under the command of Godfrey of Bouillon defeat Fatimid London ( ˈlʌndən is the capital and largest urban area in the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain,is a Sovereign state located
- August 29 — Start of the 2012 Summer Paralympics
- October 19 — at 01:36 UTC, the Earth will be home to 7 billion people, according to the US Census Bureau. Events 708 - Copper coins are minted in Japan for the first time (Traditional Japanese date: August 10, 708) See also 2012 Summer Olympics The 2012 Summer Paralympic Games will be the fourteenth Paralympics and will take place between 29 August 2012 Events 1000 - Battle of Svolder, Viking Age. 1379 - Treaty of Neuberg, splitting the Austrian See also 2012 Summer Olympics The 2012 Summer Paralympic Games will be the fourteenth Paralympics and will take place between 29 August 2012 Events 202 BCE - The Battle of Zama results in the defeat of Carthage and Hannibal. The United States Census Bureau (officially Bureau of the Census as defined in Title) is the government agency that is responsible for the United States Census 
- November 6 — The United States Presidential, Senate, and House of Representatives elections. Events 355 - Roman Emperor Constantius II promotes his cousin Julian to the rank of Caesar, entrusting him with Elections for President and Vice President of the United States are Elections for the United States Senate will be held on November 6, 2012, with 33 of the 100 seats in the Senate being contested The United States House of Representatives is one of the two chambers of the United States Congress; the other is the Senate.
- November 6 — Puerto Rico general election
- November 13 — Total solar eclipse (visible in northern Australia and the South Pacific). Events 355 - Roman Emperor Constantius II promotes his cousin Julian to the rank of Caesar, entrusting him with Elections in Puerto Rico gives information on Election and election results in Puerto Rico. Events 1002 - English king Ethelred orders the killing of all Danes in England, known today as the St A solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth so that the Sun is wholly or partially obscured For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Australia topics.
- November 28 — Penumbral lunar eclipse
- December - Presidential elections in South Korea to elect the 18th President. For the town in Argentina, see 28 de Noviembre. Events A lunar eclipse occurs whenever the Moon passes through some portion of the Earth's shadow Events in December Union Day of Romania (1 December World AIDS Day ( December 1) National Day of South Korea, officially the Republic of Korea and often referred to as Korea ( Korean: 대한민국 tɛː
- December 3 — Jupiter oppositions. Events 1800 - War of the Second Coalition: Battle of Hohenlinden, French
- December 21 — Winter Solstice at 11:11 UTC. Events 69 - The end of the Year of the four emperors: Following Galba, Otho and Vitellius, Vespasian The winter solstice occurs at the instant when the Sun 's position in the sky is at its greatest angular distance on the other side of the equatorial plane from the 
- December 21 — The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, notably used by the Maya civilization among others of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, completes its thirteenth b'ak'tun cycle since the calendar's mythical starting point (equivalent to 3114 BC August 11 in the proleptic Gregorian calendar, according to the "GMT-correlation" JDN= 584283). Events 69 - The end of the Year of the four emperors: Following Galba, Otho and Vitellius, Vespasian The Maya civilization is a Mesoamerican Civilization, noted for the only known fully developed written language of the Pre-Columbian Americas The pre-Columbian era incorporates all period subdivisions in the history and prehistory of the Americas before the appearance of significant European influences Mesoamerica or Meso-America (Mesoamérica is a Region extending approximately from central Mexico to Honduras and Nicaragua, defined A baktun is 20 katun cycles of the ancient Maya Long Count Calendar. Events c 3150 BC — According to the legend Narmer ( First Dynasty) started to rule in Ancient Egypt. Events 2492 BC - Traditional date of the defeat of Bel by Hayk, progenitor and founder of the Armenian nation The proleptic Gregorian calendar is produced by extending the Gregorian calendar backward to dates preceding its official introduction in 1582. The Julian date (JD is the interval of time in days and fractions of a day since 4713 B  The Long Count b'ak'tun date of this starting point (13. 0. 0. 0. 0) is repeated, for the first time in a span of approximately 5,125 solar years. A tropical year (also known as a solar year) is the length of time that the Sun takes to return to the same position in the cycle of seasons as seen from Earth The significance of this period-ending to the pre-Columbian Maya themselves is unclear, and there is an incomplete inscription (Tortuguero Monument 6) that records this date. The Maya script, also known as Maya hieroglyphs, was the writing system of the Pre-Columbian Maya civilization of Mesoamerica, presently Tortuguero (or El Tortuguero) is an Archaeological site in Chiapas, Mexico which supported a Maya city during the Classic It is also to be found carved on the walls of the Temple of Inscriptions in Palenque, where it functions as a base date from which other dates are computed. Palenque ( Bàak' in Modern Maya) is a Maya archeological site near the Usumacinta River in the Mexican state of Chiapas  However, it is conjectured that this may represent in the Maya belief system a transition from the current Creation world into the next. Maya mythology is part of Mesoamerican mythology and comprises all those Mayan tales in which personified forces of nature deities and the heroes interacting with these play the main
- December 23 — The alternative date for the completion of the thirteenth b'ak'tun cycle in the Maya calendar, using a version of the GMT-correlation based on a JDN of 584285 (a. Events 962 - Byzantine-Arab Wars: Under the future Emperor Nicephorus Phocas, Byzantine troops stormed the city k. a. the "astronomical" or "Lounsbury correlation"), which is supported by a smaller number of Mayanist researchers. Dr Floyd Glenn Lounsbury ( April 25, 1914 - May 14, 1998) was an American linguist, Anthropologist and Mayanist 
- December 31 — Expiration of the Kyoto Protocol. Events 406 – Vandals, Alans and Suebians cross the Rhine, beginning an invasion of Gallia. The Kyoto Protocol is a protocol to the international Framework Convention on Climate Change with the objective of reducing Greenhouse gases in an effort
- Trinidad and Tobago will hold their general elections. The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago (ˈtrɪnɪdæd ən təˈbeɪgoʊ is an archipelagic state in the southern Caribbean, lying northeast of the South American A general election is an Election in which all or most members of a given political body are up for election
- Jamaica will hold its general elections. Jamaica (ˈdʒəˈmeɪkə} is an Island nation of the Greater Antilles, in length and as much as in width situated in the Caribbean Sea. A general election is an Election in which all or most members of a given political body are up for election
- The Replacement Eastern Span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge will open to traffic, replacing the old Eastern cantilever span that was damaged in the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989, almost a quarter century (23 years) after the span was damaged
- India's 11th Five-Year Plan (2007–2012) ends and the 12th one (2012–2017) starts. The Loma Prieta earthquake, also known as the Quake of '89 and the World Series Quake, was a major Earthquake that struck the San Francisco Bay India, officially the Republic of India (भारत गणराज्य inc-Latn Bhārat Gaṇarājya; see also other Indian languages) is a country The Economy of India is based in part on planning through its Five-year plans, developed executed and monitored by the Planning Commission. Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. 2017 ( MMXVII) will be a Common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar.
- The United Kingdom will complete a 5-year process to cease analogue television broadcasts region-by-region, with Meridian Broadcasting, ITV London, Tyne Tees Television and UTV being the last areas to switch off analogue. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain,is a Sovereign state located Analog (or analogue) television encodes Television picture and sound information and transmits it as an Analog signal: one in which the Meridian Broadcasting (now legally known as ITV Meridian is the holder of the ITV franchise for the south and south east of England. ITV London is the collective brand name and identity used by Carlton Television and London Weekend Television in the London ITV region Tyne Tees Television is the ITV television contractor for North East England. For other uses of the UTV acronym see UTV (disambiguation UTV (formerly Ulster Television) is a Television channel based 
- Australia and Ireland will cease analogue television broadcasts. For a topic outline on this subject see List of basic Australia topics. Ireland (pronounced /ˈaɾlənd/ Éire) is the third largest island in Europe, and the twentieth-largest island in the world
- California's ban on the production of foie gras will take effect.
- NASA's new Orion spacecraft will become fully operational for International Space Station support flights. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration ( NASA, ˈnæsə is an agency of the United States government, responsible for the nation's public space program Orion is a Spacecraft design currently under development by the United States space agency NASA.
- China will launch the Kuafu spacecraft
- Freedom Tower in New York City: Construction will be finished. China ( Wade-Giles ( Mandarin) Chung¹kuo² is a cultural region, an ancient Civilization, and depending on perspective a National Kuafu project ( is a Chinese space project to establish a Space weather forecast system composed of three satellites to be completed by 2012 1 World Trade Center, or the Freedom Tower, is the main building of the new World Trade Center complex currently under construction in Lower Manhattan in
- Sight & Sound magazine will conduct its Top Ten Films of All-Time poll for the seventh decade since 1952. Sight & Sound ( is a British monthly Film Magazine published by the British Film Institute (BFI
- The Hallandsas Ridge Tunnel will be completed, 17 years behind the original plan. The Hallandsås Tunnel (Hallandsåstunneln also known as the Hallandsås Ridge Tunnel or Scanlink, is a Railway Tunnel under construction in
- The Canberra class light aircraft carriers/large amphibious ships, the largest ships ever to be operated by the Royal Australian Navy, will be in service. Program overview The Australian government's requirements include the capacity to transport up to 1000 troops and 150 vehicles including the new M1A1 Abrams tank in service
- The sun will reverse its own magnetic poles during 2012 as result of reaching the end of the current 11-year sunspot cycle. 
- The Canadian Navy receives the delivery of the first Joint Support Ship. "MARCOM" redirects here For the historical (1936–1950 U Project overview Purpose The JSS Project will replace the Underway replenishment capability of the Protecteur class auxiliary vessel, as well
- BHP Square, a 270 metre office building in Perth, Western Australia will be completed. Perth is the capital and largest city of the Australian state of Western Australia. Western Australia is a state occupying the entire western third of the Australian continent.
Major religious holidays
2012 is sometimes claimed to be a great year of spiritual transformation (or apocalypse). Events 1325 - Alfonso IV becomes King of Portugal. 1558 - France takes Calais, the last continental The Julian calendar, a reform of the Roman calendar, was introduced by Julius Caesar in 46 BC and came into force in 45 BC (709 Ab urbe condita The Eastern Orthodox Church is the second largest single Christian Communion in the world Events 1327 - Teenaged Edward III is crowned King of England, but the country is ruled by his mother Queen Imbolc is one of the four principal festivals of the Irish calendar, celebrated among Gaelic peoples and some other Celtic cultures either at the beginning A cross-quarter day is a day falling approximately halfway between a Solstice and an Equinox. Events 962 - Translatio imperii: Pope John XII crowns Otto I Holy Roman Emperor, the first Holy Roman Emperor Events 1576 - Henry of Navarre converts to Roman Catholicism in order to ensure his right to the throne of France. For other meanings including people named 'Islam' see Islam (disambiguation. Events 1618 - Johannes Kepler discovers the third law of planetary motion. Judaism (from the Greek Ioudaïsmos, derived from the Hebrew יהודה Yehudah, " Judah " in Hebrew יַהֲדוּת Yahedut Events 1600 - The Linköping Bloodbath takes place on Maundy Thursday in Linköping, Sweden. An equinox is the event of the Sun passing over the Earth's equator in its annual cycle Ostara is a modern pagan festival Etymology The name Ostara goes back to Jacob Grimm, who in his Deutsche Mythologie Events 529 - First draft of Corpus Juris Civilis (a fundamental work in Jurisprudence) is issued by Eastern Roman Emperor Judaism (from the Greek Ioudaïsmos, derived from the Hebrew יהודה Yehudah, " Judah " in Hebrew יַהֲדוּת Yahedut Events 217 - Roman Emperor Caracalla is Assassinated (and succeeded by his Praetorian Easter ( Greek: Πάσχα Pascha or Pasxa) is the most important religious feast in the Christian Liturgical year. Christianity ( Greek Χριστιανισμός from the word Xριστός ( Christ)is a monotheistic Religion centered on the life and teachings Events 305 - Diocletian and Maximian retire from the office of Roman Emperor. Beltane is the anglicized spelling of Bealtaine ( or Bealltainn ( the Gaelic names for either the month of May or the festival that takes place on A cross-quarter day is a day falling approximately halfway between a Solstice and an Equinox. Events 927 - Simeon the Great, Tsar of Bulgaria, dies 1120 - Richard III of Capua is anointed Judaism (from the Greek Ioudaïsmos, derived from the Hebrew יהודה Yehudah, " Judah " in Hebrew יַהֲדוּת Yahedut Events 1462 - Vlad III the Impaler attempts to assassinate Mehmed II ( The Night Attack) forcing him to retreat For other meanings including people named 'Islam' see Islam (disambiguation. Events 451 - Battle of Chalons: Flavius Aetius ' defeats Attila the Hun. Solstices occur twice a year when the tilt of the Earth's axis is most oriented toward or away from the Sun, causing the Sun to reach its northernmost and southernmost extremes Midsummer may simply refer to the period of time centered upon the summer solstice, but more often refers to specific European celebrations that accompany the actual solstice Midsummer may simply refer to the period of time centered upon the summer solstice, but more often refers to specific European celebrations that accompany the actual solstice Events 1304 - Wars of Scottish Independence: Fall of Stirling Castle - King Edward I of England takes the last rebel stronghold Ramadan or Ramazan ( Arabic: رمضان Ramaḍān) is a Muslim religious observance that takes place during the ninth month of the Islamic For other meanings including people named 'Islam' see Islam (disambiguation. Events 30 BC - Octavian (later known as Augustus enters Alexandria, Egypt, bringing it under the control of the Roman In some English-speaking countries in the Northern Hemisphere, August 1 is Lammas Day (loaf-mass day the Festival of the first Wheat A cross-quarter day is a day falling approximately halfway between a Solstice and an Equinox. Events 43 BC - Octavian, later known as Augustus compels the Roman Senate to elect him Consul. For other meanings including people named 'Islam' see Islam (disambiguation. Events 1176 - The Battle of Myriokephalon is fought 1462 - The Battle of Świecino (or Battle of Żarnowiec Judaism (from the Greek Ioudaïsmos, derived from the Hebrew יהודה Yehudah, " Judah " in Hebrew יַהֲדוּת Yahedut Events 1217 - The Estonian tribal leader Lembitu of Lehola was killed in a battle against Teutonic Knights. An equinox is the event of the Sun passing over the Earth's equator in its annual cycle This article is about the Neopagan festival Mabon. For the Welsh mythological character see Mabon ap Modron. Events 331 BC - Alexander the Great defeats Darius III of Persia in the Battle of Gaugamela. Judaism (from the Greek Ioudaïsmos, derived from the Hebrew יהודה Yehudah, " Judah " in Hebrew יַהֲדוּת Yahedut Events 996 - Emperor Otto III issues a deed to Gottschalk Bishop of Freising which is the oldest known document using the name Ostarrîchi Samhain (ˈsaʊn or /ˈsɑːwɪn/ Irish /ˈsˠaunʲ/ from the Old Irish samain) is the word for November in a few Gaelic languages A cross-quarter day is a day falling approximately halfway between a Solstice and an Equinox. Neopaganism or Neo-Paganism is an Umbrella term used to identify a wide variety of modern religious movements particularly those influenced by historical Christianity ( Greek Χριστιανισμός from the word Xριστός ( Christ)is a monotheistic Religion centered on the life and teachings Events 655 - Battle of Winwaed: Penda of Mercia is defeated by Oswiu of Northumbria. For other meanings including people named 'Islam' see Islam (disambiguation. Events 536 - Byzantine General Belisarius enters Rome while the Ostrogothic garrison peacefully leaves the city Judaism (from the Greek Ioudaïsmos, derived from the Hebrew יהודה Yehudah, " Judah " in Hebrew יַהֲדוּת Yahedut Events 69 - The end of the Year of the four emperors: Following Galba, Otho and Vitellius, Vespasian Solstices occur twice a year when the tilt of the Earth's axis is most oriented toward or away from the Sun, causing the Sun to reach its northernmost and southernmost extremes Yule is a winter festival historically celebrated primarily in northern Europe but now celebrated in many other countries in various forms Events 274 - Roman Emperor Aurelian A Great year (also known as a Platonic year or Equinoctial cycle) is the time required for one complete cycle of the Precession of the equinoxes, Many esoteric sources interpret the completion of the thirteenth B'ak'tun cycle in the Long Count of the Maya calendar (which occurs on December 21 by the most widely held correlation) to mean there will be a major change in world order. A baktun is 20 katun cycles of the ancient Maya Long Count Calendar. The Maya calendar is a system of distinct Calendars and Almanacs used by the Maya civilization of Pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, and by Events 69 - The end of the Year of the four emperors: Following Galba, Otho and Vitellius, Vespasian
Accordingly, several eclectic authors claim that a major, world-changing event will take place in 2012:
- The 1997 book The Bible Code claims that, according to certain algorithms of the Bible code, a meteor, asteroid or comet will collide with the Earth. The Bible Code is a best-selling Controversial book by Michael Drosnin, first published in 1997. A Bible code (also Torah code) is the notion that there are information patterns encrypted or Coded form in the text of the Bible, or more specifically
- The 2006 book 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck discusses theories of a possible global awakening to psychic connection by the year 2012, creating a noosphere. Quetzalcoatl (Quetzalcōhuātl keʦalˈkoːwaːtɬ is an Aztec sky and creator god. Daniel Pinchbeck, (born June 15, 1966) is an author and advocate of the use of psychedelic substances such as LSD, Psilocybin mushrooms In the thought of Vladimir Vernadsky and Teilhard de Chardin, the noosphere (sometimes spelled noösphere) can be seen as the " sphere of
Other prophecies and apocalyptic writings and hypotheses for this year include:
- Terence McKenna's numerological novelty theory suggests a point of singularity in which humankind will go through a great shift in consciousness. Terence Kemp McKenna ( November 16 1946 – April 3 2000) was a Writer, Philosopher, and Ethnobotanist. Numerology is any of many Systems Traditions or Beliefs in a mystical or Esoteric relationship between Numbers and physical Novelty theory attempts to calculate the ebb and flow of novelty in the Universe as an inherent quality of time The technological singularity is a theoretical future point of unprecedented technological progress caused in part by the ability of machines to improve themselves using Artificial
References to 2012 in the arts
- Methuselah's Children (1941/1958) and Time Enough for Love (1973) by Robert A. Heinlein: A crucial meeting of the Howard Families takes place, following the election of Nehemiah Scudder for president of the USA. Methuselah's Children is a 1941 Science fiction Novel by Robert A Time Enough for Love is a Science fiction Novel by Robert A Heinlein, first published in 1973. Robert Anson Heinlein (July 7 1907 – May 8 1988 was an American Novelist and Science fiction Writer. The Howard Families are a fictional group created by the author Robert A "If This Goes On—" is a Science fiction short novel by Robert A The President of the United States is the Head of state and Head of government of the United States and is the highest political official in United States by In both novels, viewpoint character Lazarus Long is asked what happened at this meeting as he is the last living eyewitness; in both novels he declines to answer. Lazarus Long is a fictional character featured in a number of Science fiction Novels by Robert A Nehemiah Scudder establishes a religious dictatorship in the USA.
- "Domain" and "Resurrection" by author Steve Alten: A fictional series that tells the events of the Gabriel twins after discovering the mystery behind 2012. Steve Alten (born August 21, 1959, Philadelphia) is an American Science fiction Author.
- "2012: The War for Souls" by author Whitley Strieber is a fictional novel about three parallel earths and the occurrences leading up to December 21, 2012 in each as the walls between them begin to thin and allow passage through gateways to the others. Louis Whitley Strieber ( (born June 13, 1945) is an American writer best known for his Horror novels The Wolfen and The Hunger Parallel universe or alternative reality is a self-contained separate reality coexisting with one's own
- The Invisibles ("The Invisible Kingdom," 1999–2000): The Invisibles' "fictional" universe expands into the meta-context of the "higher universe," possibly our own. The Invisibles is a mature readers Comic book series that was published by the Vertigo imprint of DC Comics from 1994 to The Invisibles is a mature readers Comic book series that was published by the Vertigo imprint of DC Comics from 1994 to
- "A Certain Shade of Green," a song from the Incubus album S.C.I.E.N.C.E., references 2012 in the following lines: Are you gonna stand around till 2012 A. Incubus is a Grammy -nominated Alternative rock band based out of Calabasas, California. SCIENCE is an Enhanced CD album by the rock band Incubus, released on September 9, 1997. D. ? / What are you waiting for, a certain shade of green?. December 21, 2012 also appears to be the date when the video for the song "Warning" is supposed to take place.
- Genesis's song Get'em Out By Friday from their 1972 album Foxtrot, sets "18/9/2012" (on the printed operistic-dialog lyrics) as the date when "Genetic Control" would set a height restriction on human beings so that twice as many people could fit on real estate properties. Genesis are an English rock band formed in 1967 With approximately 150 million albums sold worldwide Genesis are among the top 30 highest-selling recording artists Foxtrot is the fourth studio album by British Progressive rock band Genesis and the second from the "classic" lineup of Peter Gabriel
- "Pesky Solar Flares", by Angie Strange has lyrics relating to coronal mass ejections occurring during the Winter Solstice of 2012. The song was available as a free download on the website of the popular American conspiracy talk radio show Coast To Coast Am.
- The Hed PE song "I. Hed PE, also known as (hed planet earth and stylized as (həd p F. O. " (to be found on their second, self-titled album), which is about UFO sightings and governmental conspiracies to cover them up, references the year 2012: "Prepare to meet your maker in the skies over the pyramids / Check Stonehenge / Go ask the Mayans / 2012 soon come / I will be waitin' sayin' I told you so / When the skies are ripped open / And the mothership lands on your cynical ass". HED PE also references 2012 in "Killing Time" from their second album "Broke". come Twenty Twelve, come twelve tribes, come twelve strands, come twelve lives Twelve steps, twelve months, twelve drug dealers
- Stones Throw Records artist Dudley Perkins released his LP, entitled 'Expressions (2012 A. Stones Throw Records is an independent hip hop Record label based in California. Dudley Perkins is a rapper and singer who is currently signed to Stones Throw Records. U. )', in 2006
- The instrumental song "December 21, 2012" by Frodus, which appears as a B-side to their best-selling 7" vinyl single of their Devo cover "Explosions" (Released 1997). Frodus (aka Frodus Conglomerate International Frodus Sound Laboratories FCI was a 1990s Washington D Devo (pronounced DEE-vo (IPA /'diːvoʊ/) or dee-VO (IPA /diː'voʊ/) often spelled "DEVO" or "DEV-O" is an American
- The Anaal Nathrakh song "Timewave Zero" is about the apparent end of the world on December 21, 2012. Anaal Nathrakh are a British metal band formed in 1999 who fuse industrial, Grindcore and Death metal elements onto an underlying The lyrics are translated as "The 21st Of December, 2012, The time will come"
- The A Day To Remember song "Fast Forward to 2012" refers to the world ending in 2012 as a warning for friends to do something to prepare. A Day to Remember (commonly abbreviated to ADTR) is a five-piece Post-hardcore band from Ocala Florida signed to Victory Records.
- British nu-rave outfit Klaxons sing about apocalyptic horsemen in their song "Four Horsemen Of 2012" from the 2007 album Myths of the Near Future. Klaxons are a English Indie rock / Dance punk band based in London Myths of the Near Future is the debut album by English band Klaxons on 29 January 2007 through Polydor Records.
- The song "2012 — Demise of the 5th Sun" by the melodic death metal band Scar Symmetry is a reference to the year 2012. Scar Symmetry is a Swedish Melodic death metal band from Avesta. "For the lines on the fractal wave / Fit the course of history / They're created to work as one till the end / When the winter solstice comes / Actualizing the prophecy / The demise in 2012 realized"
- The Testament song "3 Days in Darkness", off of The Gathering album is a song about 2012, and speaks of the earth being swallowed in molten fire. Testament is an American Thrash metal band from California. Testament has two Top 40 albums and one Top 50 album to its credit in the UK
- VNV Nation's album Praise The Fallen" has the subtitle "PTF 2012", which is also the name of a track in the album, which seems to be predominantly about an upcoming war. VNV Nation are an Electronic music band originally from Wexford and London, now based in Hamburg, that combines elements of trance The song, "Honour" starts with the line, "Passive fields, January 2012. . . "
- Heavy metal band Burnt By The Sun's two albums both deal with prophecies concerning the year 2012. Burnt by the Sun is a Grindcore influenced Metalcore band from New Jersey, USA.
- "2012" is the name of the 2005 album by the experimental rock band Old Time Relijun, and several songs make references to ancient Mayan culture, such as "Burial Mound" and "The King of Lost Light. Old Time Relijun is a band founded in Olympia Washington, United States and a longtime member of K Records. "
- On the band Hella's album There's No 666 in Outer Space there is a track called "2012 and Countless" in which the only words are "There's no 666 in Outer Space" repeated. Hella is an American band from Nevada City California. They play a technical blend of Math rock, Noise rock, and Experimental rock There's No 666 in Outer Space is the fourth full-length album by Math rock band Hella.
- Metal band Ewigkeit's album Radio Ixtlan has a track entitled "Live at Palenque 2012" referencing both the Mayan calendar date and the site at which the Temple of Inscriptions where it is carved. Formed in 1995 Ewigkeit was the experimental Extreme music project of James Fogarty (aka Mr Radio Ixtlan is the fourth studio album by the British experimental Extreme music project Ewigkeit.
- Canibus mentions the year 2012 and December 21, 2012 on his Poet Laureate Infinity vocals and on his 2007 album For Whom the Beat Tolls. For Whom the Beat Tolls (a play on the Ernest Hemingway novel ' For Whom the Bell Tolls ' which itself is drawn from "Meditation XVII" of Devotions
- Industrial metal band Hanzel und Gretyl's fifth album is called 2012: Zwanzig Zwölf referencing the belief that the world will end in this year, as foretold in the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar. Hanzel Und Gretyl are an Industrial metal group formed by members Kaiser Von Loopy and Vas Kallas. 2012 Zwanzig Zwölf is the fifth full-length album created by the Industrial metal band Hanzel und Gretyl.
- I Am Legend: The events of the 2007 film take place in this year. I Am Legend is a 2007 post-apocalyptic Science fiction film directed by Francis Lawrence and starring Will Smith. Year 2007 ( MMVII) was a Common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century.
- Doctor Who
- "Dalek," 2005: A Dalek breaks loose under the Utah salt plains, and plans to kill every living thing on Earth. Doctor Who is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC. A Dalek (, ˈdɑːlεk is a member of a Fictional extraterrestrial race of Mutants from the British science fiction television The State of Utah (ˈjuːtɔː or) is a western state of the United States. EARTH was a short-lived Japanese vocal trio which released 6 singles and 1 album between 2000 and 2001
- "Fear Her," 2006: The episode is set during the lead-up to the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. " Fear Her " is an episode of the British Science fiction television series Doctor Who. London ( ˈlʌndən is the capital and largest urban area in the United Kingdom.
- Xmas Story," 1999: The War of 2012 occurs, during which talk-show host Conan O'Brien lost his "freakishly long legs. Futurama is an Emmy Award -winning animated American sitcom created by Matt Groening, and developed by Groening and "Xmas Story" is the fourth episode in the second production season of Futurama. Conan Christopher O'Brien (born April 18, 1963) is an Emmy Award -winning American Television host and Comedian, best known "
- Jurassic Bark," 2002; Philip J. Fry's dog Seymour dies in this year. " Jurassic Bark " is the seventh episode of season four of Futurama, airing November 17, 2002. " Jurassic Bark " is the seventh episode of season four of Futurama, airing November 17, 2002.
- The X-Files ("The Truth," 2002): On December 22, Aliens invade Earth. The X-Files is a Peabody, Golden Globe and Emmy Award -winning American Science fiction television series created by Chris Carter "The Truth", parts Events 1790 - The Turkish fortress of Izmail is stormed and captured by Suvorov and his Russian armies
- Shadowrun: With the sixth Mayan world beginning, magic returns to the world in an event called "The Awakening. Shadowrun is a pen-and-paper Role-playing game set in an imaginary future where huge corporations control the lives of their employees and the return of magic has The Maya calendar is a system of distinct Calendars and Almanacs used by the Maya civilization of Pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, and by "
- Escape 2012: The player's mission is to escape from alien captivity.
- In Dark•Matter, a campaign setting for the Alternity and D20 Modern roleplaying games, the institute that the protagonists belong to believe that 2012 will be the end of the world. Dark•Matter is a Science fiction / Conspiracy theory Campaign setting that was originally published in 1999 by Wizards of the Alternity is a Science fiction Role-playing game (RPG published by TSR in 1998. d20 Modern is a Roleplaying game designed by Bill Slavicsek, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, and Charles Ryan.
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R — Shadow of Chernobyl is set in this year
- Psychic Force 2012 is set during this year. STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl, previously known as STALKER Oblivion Lost, is a First-person shooter Computer game Psychic Force 2012 (サイキックフォース2012 is the Sequel to Taito Corporations 1997 Arcade game Psychic Force
- In Universe at War: Earth Assault, the Hierarchy invasion on Earth begins. Universe at War Earth Assault is a Real-time strategy game originally to be named Invasion Earth, developed by Petroglyph and published
- An in-game document from The Secret World contains the date 2012 circled and underlined but the significance of this is yet unknown. The Secret World (formerly known under the working titles Cabal and The World Online) is an upcoming MMORPG from developer Funcom
- In Shattered Union, U. Shattered Union is a Turn-based tactics computer game developed by PopTop Software and published by 2K Games in 2005. S. president David Jefferson Adams accepts his second term in office after the Supreme Court disqualifies all other presidential candidates. The Supreme Court of the United States is the highest judicial body in the United States and leads the federal judiciary.
- One of the dual storylines in Assassin's Creed is set in 2012
- Events of Mega Man III, Mega Man's Soccer, Wily and Right's RockBoard and Mega Man V are set in this year. Assassin's Creed is a Video game developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. is a platform Video game that is a part of the original ''Mega Man'' series. is a Video game released by Capcom for the Super NES in 1994 that combines soccer with the original Mega Man series is a spin-off Video game title in the original Mega Man series from Capcom.
- One of the puzzles later on in La Mulana (A freeware PC game based on many of the older MSX games released) states you need to 'walk the end year of the Aztec's Fifth Age. La-Mulana is a PC side scrolling platformer released in 2005 that has an MSX style graphics and interface ' The player must then light only the torches of the gates that correspond to the numbers in the year '2012'.
- ^ Near Earth Object Fact Sheet
- ^ Homepage - London 2012
- ^ Earth Hurtles Toward 6.5 Billion
- ^ Idb Page Redirect
- ^ United States Naval Observatory (01/28/07). Earth's Seasons: Equinoxes, Solstices, Perihelion, and Aphelion, 2000-2020.
- ^ See Finley (2002), Houston (1989, pp. 49–51), Miller and Taube (1993, pp. 50–52), Voss (2006, p. 138), Wagner (2006, pp. 281–283). Note that Houston 1989 mistakenly writes "3113 BC" (when "-3113" is meant), and Miller and Taube 1993's mention of "2 August" is a (presumed) erratum.
- ^ Wagner (2006, p. 281; also ill. 443).
- ^ After a modified proposal championed by Floyd Lounsbury; sources that have used this correlation include Houston (1989, p. Dr Floyd Glenn Lounsbury ( April 25, 1914 - May 14, 1998) was an American linguist, Anthropologist and Mayanist 51), and in particular Schele and Freidel (1990, pp. 430 et seq. ). See also commentary by Finley (2002), who although making an assessment that the "[584285 correlation yielding end-date of December 23] is now more popular with Mayanists", expresses a personal preference for the 584283 correlation.
- ^ NewBayBridge.org - The New East Span: History in the Making
- ^ When is the Digital TV Switchover? The different regions and dates
- ^ The Sun Does a Flip
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |