See also: 1852 in South Africa, other events of 1853, 1854 in South Africa and the Timeline of South African history. See also 1851 in South Africa, other events of 1852, 1853 in South Africa and the Timeline of South African history. Year 1853 ( MDCCCLIII) was a Common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar of the Gregorian Calendar (or a Common See also 1853 in South Africa, other events of 1854, 1855 in South Africa and the Timeline of South African history. This is a timeline of the History of South Africa. For sport see Timeline of South African sport.
- The 8th Cape Frontier War ends
- The settlement of Hopetown is established
- Nicholaas Waterboer, eldest son of Andries Waterboer succeeds as Griqua captain
- The settlement of Queenstown is established
- The settlement of Seymour is established
- The Union Steamship Line is founded
- the right to vote is granted to every property-owning male (including Africans) in the Cape Province. The Xhosa Wars, also known as the Kaffir Wars or Cape Frontier Wars, were a series of nine wars between the amaXhosa people and European settlers Hopetown (Hoopstad lies at the edge of the Great Karoo in South Africa 's Northern Cape province Andries Waterboer was a leader of the Griqua people He was elected as their Kaptijn ( Captain) at Griquatown in 1820 The Griqua ( Afrikaans Griekwa, sometimes incorrectly called Korana) are a subgroup of South Africa 's heterogeneous and Multiracial Queenstown is a town in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. This right was abolished with the introduction of Apartheid in 1948
Deaths Events 1295 - Scotland and France form an alliance the beginnings of the Auld Alliance, against England. Cecil John Rhodes, PC DCL (5 July 1853 &ndash 26 March 1902 was an English -born Businessman mining Magnate, and Politician Bishop's Stortford is a Market town in east Hertfordshire, England, on the County boundary with Essex. Hertfordshire (ˈhɑːtfədʃə(r, abbreviated Herts) is a ceremonial and non-metropolitan county in the East region of England is a Country which is part of the United Kingdom. Its inhabitants account for more than 83% of the total UK population whilst its mainland Events 636 - Battle of Yarmouk: Arab forces led by Khalid ibn al-Walid take control of Syria and Palestine Painting (pān'tīng in Art, is the practice of applying Color to a Surface (support base such as e The Cape Colony, part of modern South Africa, was established by the Dutch East India Company in 1652 with the founding of Cape Town.
© 2009 citizendia.org; parts available under the terms of GNU Free Documentation License, from http://en.wikipedia.org
network: | |